U/18 All Australian predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Rich is still the best young midfielder I've seen. I've seen him do certain things that I've never seen in an 18 year old. His championship form was clearly disappointing, but to me it's not a concern.

Ultimately, the whole AA concept means nothing. He's still the best midfield prospect in the nation and, as such, I'm comfortable if he gets in on the back of his reputation alone.

I have no doubt that will piss some people off.

I simply can't disagree with this :cool:

guys i cant be bothered reading all the other pages to see if my question has been asked but here it is. when will the under 18 all Australian team be announced?

B: Klemke, Hurley, Hooper
HB: Suban, McKernan, Pearce
C: Zaharakis, Robinson, Jetta
HF: Ziebell, Butcher, Heyne
FF: Rockliff, Watts, Walters

R: Naitanui, Sheahan, O'Keeffe

I/C: DeBoer, Sidebottom, Johnston, Broadbent

hey mate whos robinson for tasmania give us an insight to his stregths and weaknesses.

cheers

anyone have the u/18 all-australian team for last year? i can find just the names of the players in the team but i can't find the actual team with the positions.

Its in the back of the program from last Wednesday - photo etc., will have a look for it and post it..

God forbid any player from NSW may have some talent.
Obviously they have none as got whalloped every game in the Div 1 this year.

Hang on, didn't they beat Vic Country???????????????????????
Still don't take any notice, game was in Sydney and Vic had to travel, play with one hand behind back and only kick off the ground, head the ball to each other and talk to each other in Hebrew.
Gee and I think they beat Tassie in Tassie a week later.
NSW finished the carnival with the same amount of wins as Vic C and you only think a NSW player would make it as a token to the uneducated northern states.
Gee you blokes are good for a laugh.:D
Where to start?

First of all, you're going on aimlessly about this year. I was talking about last year and I merely implied that Taylor Walker being from NSW assisted his AA selection. Don't dare suggest that I don't think Walker has talent. I am absolutely delighted with him and I consider Tex to be one of the most naturally talented footballers on the Crows list at the moment. Besides, Bird made AA too, didn't he? That itself says that neither of their selections were charity, but their home state would assist in keeping a nice number of 'development' states. It looks nice in their submissions to the AFL about game development.

I wonder if David Gourdis had the same Carnival as a NSW player and Walker had the same Carnival as a WA player who would've got that spot on the bench?

I never said that NSW kids don't have enough talent for it. However, since you invited me to talk about it I believe this year (unlike last year where Bird and Walker had a legitimate case) that any NSW AA selection would be tokenism in the strictest sense of the word, because quite simply there are 22 players that deserve it more than anyone that played for NSW. Kade Klemke is the only one who has a case IMO, but in my view he should be shaded by similar players from other states who had better Carnivals.

Now before you twist my words and try and play the victim card on me, I rate Klemke. I really like him actually, but I think he'll get AA because of the colour of the jumper he's wearing. It also wouldn't surprise me to see Scott Reed get it, just to show that the Scholarship Scheme (that you have spoken out against quite often) is working.

Your views on NSW beating Vic Country are very simplistic given the context of this conversation. We're talking about AA selection and results don't come into it as much as you would like. Vic Country had some outstanding performers in this Carnival. NSW had some guys who played very well. Therein lies the difference. Just because NSW beat them in a game doesn't mean they're more talented or deserve more AA selections. Maybe it's a credit to the coaching staff, or a longer campaign for the NSW guys to get to know each other and jell as a team. It's definitely not a reflection on the sheer talent and the individual performances in the respective sides. Like it or not, the Championships is all about individual performances because the kids are there to impress recruiters and get drafted. Winning is a nice cherry on top if it happens along the way.

But please, stop trying to call footyman and I biased Vics. We are junior football fans. We are interested in talent identification. Your biases on this issue, however, are well documented because you have a son in the NSW side. I don't cheer for Vic Metro at the Championship just because I hail from that part of the world. I am only interested in seeing good players coming through and I don't give a rats what colour jumper they're wearing.

What you are ignoring Vic Crow is the Div 2 part of the Champs. Taking that into account Ediwickarama should be a very big show and if it was me I would put him in. Reed and Klemke are chances. NSW deserves at least one person and the politics of the situation will see them get at least one.

Where to start?

First of all, you're going on aimlessly about this year. I was talking about last year and I merely implied that Taylor Walker being from NSW assisted his AA selection. Don't dare suggest that I don't think Walker has talent. I am absolutely delighted with him and I consider Tex to be one of the most naturally talented footballers on the Crows list at the moment. Besides, Bird made AA too, didn't he? That itself says that neither of their selections were charity, but their home state would assist in keeping a nice number of 'development' states. It looks nice in their submissions to the AFL about game development.

I wonder if David Gourdis had the same Carnival as a NSW player and Walker had the same Carnival as a WA player who would've got that spot on the bench?

I never said that NSW kids don't have enough talent for it. However, since you invited me to talk about it I believe this year (unlike last year where Bird and Walker had a legitimate case) that any NSW AA selection would be tokenism in the strictest sense of the word, because quite simply there are 22 players that deserve it more than anyone that played for NSW. Kade Klemke is the only one who has a case IMO, but in my view he should be shaded by similar players from other states who had better Carnivals.

Now before you twist my words and try and play the victim card on me, I rate Klemke. I really like him actually, but I think he'll get AA because of the colour of the jumper he's wearing. It also wouldn't surprise me to see Scott Reed get it, just to show that the Scholarship Scheme (that you have spoken out against quite often) is working.

Your views on NSW beating Vic Country are very simplistic given the context of this conversation. We're talking about AA selection and results don't come into it as much as you would like. Vic Country had some outstanding performers in this Carnival. NSW had some guys who played very well. Therein lies the difference. Just because NSW beat them in a game doesn't mean they're more talented or deserve more AA selections. Maybe it's a credit to the coaching staff, or a longer campaign for the NSW guys to get to know each other and jell as a team. It's definitely not a reflection on the sheer talent and the individual performances in the respective sides. Like it or not, the Championships is all about individual performances because the kids are there to impress recruiters and get drafted. Winning is a nice cherry on top if it happens along the way.

But please, stop trying to call footyman and I biased Vics. We are junior football fans. We are interested in talent identification. Your biases on this issue, however, are well documented because you have a son in the NSW side. I don't cheer for Vic Metro at the Championship just because I hail from that part of the world. I am only interested in seeing good players coming through and I don't give a rats what colour jumper they're wearing.

Can't speak about last year as I saw no games and I have never once hinted that either you or footyman are biased:D
Totally agree that Kade and Scott would have the only legitimate claims to AA selection.
Again you are talking about the whole carnival and I personally don't think Ranga would make it, he played 2 very good games (Against WA and Vic C), but was injured 10 minutes into 3rd games and then took no further part.
Your argument is also very simplistic as Vic C only won 2 games, therefore players cant have had great carnivals (as if they did dominate they would have won more, remember they lost to NSW, SA and Metro, obviously great win over WA in the west)
By your argument Robinson from Tassie would have no chance either, I saw 3 games in Div 1, and 2 were outstanding against quality opposition, if he makes it does that then smack of tokenism? I doubt it.

As for being biased because I have a son involved in the NSW side is a snide and unfounded comment. I have never once put him or his name up as someone who has done anything or should be in this or that. My comments on the scholarship scheme have only ever been about the area and never about a player and this comment is taken in great offence.
I moved from Vic to NSW to coach and play footy and in turn try and increase the profile of our great game. Just because someone resides in a non footballing state doesn't mean they don't have the best interests of the game at heart and are not just pushing a personal barrow.

I think that Klemke or Edrickirama will get AA most likely Klemke as he is a BP or HBF and the carnival lacked quality small defenders. Where as Edirickarama is a mid and i saw him play well against WA and he ovbiousily did well in div 2 aswell. He at best would get a spot on the bench but this is due to high quality mids through this years draft.

Okeefe (SA) - Hurley (VIC M) - C.Pearce (WA)

Klemke (NSW) - J.Jones (VIC C) - S.HILL (WA)

Zaharkis (VIC M) - Ziebell (VIC C) - M.Robinson (Tas)

N.Jetta (WA) - J.Watts (VIC M) - K.Lucas (WA)

M.Walters (WA) - J.Butcher (VIC C) - N.Heyne (VIC C)

Natunai (WA) - H.Harteltt (SA) - Deboer (WA)

S.Mckernan (VIC M) - Rich (WA) - Sidebottom (VIC C) - M.Banner (VIC M)

Unluckies:
Vickery
S.Blease
Hooper
Suban
Edrickarama
Reed
Cornelius
L.Johnstone
Schoenmakaers
Broadbent

Can't speak about last year as I saw no games and I have never once hinted that either you or footyman are biased:D
Totally agree that Kade and Scott would have the only legitimate claims to AA selection.
Again you are talking about the whole carnival and I personally don't think Ranga would make it, he played 2 very good games (Against WA and Vic C), but was injured 10 minutes into 3rd games and then took no further part.
Your argument is also very simplistic as Vic C only won 2 games, therefore players cant have had great carnivals (as if they did dominate they would have won more, remember they lost to NSW, SA and Metro, obviously great win over WA in the west)
By your argument Robinson from Tassie would have no chance either, I saw 3 games in Div 1, and 2 were outstanding against quality opposition, if he makes it does that then smack of tokenism? I doubt it.

As for being biased because I have a son involved in the NSW side is a snide and unfounded comment. I have never once put him or his name up as someone who has done anything or should be in this or that. My comments on the scholarship scheme have only ever been about the area and never about a player and this comment is taken in great offence.
I moved from Vic to NSW to coach and play footy and in turn try and increase the profile of our great game. Just because someone resides in a non footballing state doesn't mean they don't have the best interests of the game at heart and are not just pushing a personal barrow.
I have strongly got the impression you've been hinting that anyone who talks down NSW has their biases, when quite simply we're as neutral as can be. Your comment to footyman in this very thread was "What more excuses for Vic can you come up with footyman?" That, to me, sounds like you're implying that he has this biases. I also took your "Gee you blokes are good for a laugh" to be a veiled shot as well. If it's not referring to us being Victorian then who are "you blokes"?

I don't understand how you can come to the conclusion that Vic Country only won two games, so therefore their players can't have had a great Carnival. Like I said, the National Championships is largely about personal performance and if Jack Ziebell has a blinder in a 10 goal loss then his stocks would rise, regardless of what happened to his team as a whole.

Similar to the Mitch Robinson argument that you brought up, that's the complete opposite point of what I'm arguing. He was a stand out performer on a poor team. Just because his team was bad doesn't mean he can't be a stand out. Like mish asked, is he eligible though? He is a 19 year old. :confused:

To make my argument relevant to NSW they did very well to get two wins in the Carnival, but that doesn't mean they had any stand out performers. Apart from the couple that I mentioned earlier, I stand by the statement that NSW were very light on stand out performers.

Finally, I would like to clear up that I was not saying you are biased towards your son. You are fantastic at keeping his performances and his future prospects away from this board. That's not what I was getting at. I was merely citing that to point out that you have a close association with the NSW side. I apologised for any misconception or offence you may have taken from that. I was merely pointing it out to illustrate your close association with the team and how I believe that affects how impartial you can be when discussing them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have strongly got the impression you've been hinting that anyone who talks down NSW has their biases, when quite simply we're as neutral as can be. Your comment to footyman in this very thread was "What more excuses for Vic can you come up with footyman?" That, to me, sounds like you're implying that he has this biases. I also took your "Gee you blokes are good for a laugh" to be a veiled shot as well. If it's not referring to us being Victorian then who are "you blokes"?

I don't understand how you can come to the conclusion that Vic Country only won two games, so therefore their players can't have had a great Carnival. Like I said, the National Championships is largely about personal performance and if Jack Ziebell has a blinder in a 10 goal loss then his stocks would rise, regardless of what happened to his team as a whole.

Similar to the Mitch Robinson argument that you brought up, that's the complete opposite point of what I'm arguing. He was a stand out performer on a poor team. Just because his team was bad doesn't mean he can't be a stand out. Like mish asked, is he eligible though? He is a 19 year old. :confused:

To make my argument relevant to NSW they did very well to get two wins in the Carnival, but that doesn't mean they had any stand out performers. Apart from the couple that I mentioned earlier, I stand by the statement that NSW were very light on stand out performers.

Finally, I would like to clear up that I was not saying you are biased towards your son. You are fantastic at keeping his performances and his future prospects away from this board. That's not what I was getting at. I was merely citing that to point out that you have a close association with the NSW side. I apologised for any misconception or offence you may have taken from that. I was merely pointing it out to illustrate your close association with the team and how I believe that affects how impartial you can be when discussing them.
Mate the whole thing was sarcasm. (Read the last line in second reply to footyman!)
I agree that the carnival is about personal performances and I have never once thought that any of the Vic boys put up for discussion don't thoroughly deserve the wraps they get. You will get absolutely no argument from me about the individual talent that ALL div 1 sides have compared to div 2. The week in week out competition that they play in means that they have to be better.
Realisticly, I believe that Robinson is the only div 2 player who should make it (AA team), not drafted, but then should a 19 year old be playing at all?
I believe (and have taught players) that the best way to make yourself look good, is to make your teammate look good. (Maybe simplistic but its what I believe).
On all boards I try to be as impartial as I can, but when I have knowledge about things I am unafraid to voice my opinion.
Apology accepted.:D

anyone have the u/18 all-australian team for last year? i can find just the names of the players in the team but i can't find the actual team with the positions.

if u go to the afl site and go by the like under 18 section part and u scroll down it has the u/18 all australian teams for the past couple of years.

handy for dt:D

What is the criteria for AA?
Carnival Form?
Draftability?
Politics?

Or all 3? I think it should be Carnival Form but I know it is not.

Open for discussion and debate!

AIS academy players are almost certain selections regardless of form in the carnival a fair bit of who you are not what you are

so someone like shuey, or gotch who havnt been through u16s or ais will probably not get picked??
even though shuey was top 3 possesion getters everytime he played, and got best for vic metro 3 out of 4 games?

gotch fairly the same..

has the All Australian jumper still got the prestige it use to have particulary now they don't name the team untill 2 weeks after the titles. I know its automatic entry to the draft camp but even if you miss that particular 22 it's not the only way to get there. I believe that the team should be named at the conclusion of the carnival as the pinnacle moment. That way those players get the recognition they deserve in front of all there peers not through a letter or a phone call. It doesn't guaruntee draft selection anyway

AA selection does guarantee being drafted
Tell that to Tom Hurley, Ben Sharp, Ruory Kirkby or Luke Herrington! In fact, considering being put on a Rookie List isn't really being drafted then there's a huge number of examples of players who didn't get 'drafted' such as Patrick McGinnity, Jace Bode or Aaron Joseph...

AA selection does guarantee being drafted

BULLSHIT, stupid comment

nothing guarantees getting drafted

B: Patrick Veszpremi (Vic Metro), Nathan Brown (Vic Country), Mitchell Thorp (Tasmania)

HB: David Armitage (QLD), Lachlan Hansen (Vic Country), Ricky Petterd (QLD)

C: Daniel Connors (Vic Country), Garry Moss (WA), Shaun Grigg (Vic Country)

HF: Leroy Jetta (WA), Scott Gumbleton (WA), Daniel Dzufer (QLD)

F: Tom Hislop (TAS), Tom Hawkins (Vic Metro), Tom Hurley (SA)

FOLL: Matthew Leuenberger (WA), Bryce Gibbs (SA), Leigh Adams (Vic Metro)

I/C: Craig Bird (NSW/ACT), Nathan Djerrkura (NT), Jarryd Allen (Vic Metro), Robert Eddy (Vic Country

a few of these only got rookie listed and one did not find his way onto a list

BULLSHIT, stupid comment

nothing guarantees getting drafted

B: Patrick Veszpremi (Vic Metro), Nathan Brown (Vic Country), Mitchell Thorp (Tasmania)

HB: David Armitage (QLD), Lachlan Hansen (Vic Country), Ricky Petterd (QLD)

C: Daniel Connors (Vic Country), Garry Moss (WA), Shaun Grigg (Vic Country)

HF: Leroy Jetta (WA), Scott Gumbleton (WA), Daniel Dzufer (QLD)

F: Tom Hislop (TAS), Tom Hawkins (Vic Metro), Tom Hurley (SA)

FOLL: Matthew Leuenberger (WA), Bryce Gibbs (SA), Leigh Adams (Vic Metro)

I/C: Craig Bird (NSW/ACT), Nathan Djerrkura (NT), Jarryd Allen (Vic Metro), Robert Eddy (Vic Country

a few of these only got rookie listed and one did not find his way onto a list

red Bombers got these 3 in that year.

So one person missed out and what he didnt even get on the rookie list of an AFL club or picked up in the preseason draft. Thats unlucky i reckon that all the AA this year will def get drafted.

Craig Bird also missed out that year, was picked up the next year after going AA again.

(Sorry VicCrow there I go only talking about NSW again, Must stop doing that, Must stop doing that*****hitting self in head************** ROFLMAO)

Craig Bird also missed out that year, was picked up the next year after going AA again.

(Sorry VicCrow there I go only talking about NSW again, Must stop doing that, Must stop doing that*****hitting self in head************** ROFLMAO)
Haha, good point though! He was dual AA, but missed the draft altogether in 2006 and then got a Scholarship with Sydney in 2007. A very strange set of circumstances for Bird.

Remove this Banner Ad

U/18 All Australian predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back