MMA-UFC UFC 306 - Ronald McDonald vs Gimli

Remove this Banner Ad

Very dominant. Congrats to Merab and Georgia.
Episode 5 Sport GIF by UFC

What a weird fight that was

Merab trying to stop the fight after 10 seconds
Sean's coach getting warnings
Merab kissing Sean
Herb encouraging them to engage

And **** Rogan asks some dumb ****ing questions. Bloke just wins the belt and he is asking him about what he thinks of his potential next opponent. I mean ffs let him enjoy the win for a second

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

What a weird fight that was

Merab trying to stop the fight after 10 seconds
Sean's coach getting warnings
Merab kissing Sean
Herb encouraging them to engage

And **** Rogan asks some dumb ****ing questions. Bloke just wins the belt and he is asking him about what he thinks of his potential next opponent. I mean ffs let him enjoy the win for a second

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

The kiss was sustainable .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back to events. Worldwide fans were shitting on this card but prelims all in all we’re good fights. First three on the main were crackers. Last two fights for belts were not great but a desperate compelling effort and desire to win. Was an interesting card imo .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

1. Apex cards that everyone hates
  2. Belal, Merab, DDP, Pennington, Shev (even Pantoja, I like him but hardly a name) as champs
  3. Jones/Conor never fight
  4. Ngannou gone (would have been a star if they promoted fighters over their brand)
  5. Fans well and truly priced out of tickets for events.
I've followed MMA for 20+ years, the shine is coming off the sport now. Stars drive sports like this and the UFC don't want stars to keep payroll low. God knows where we'll be in 5 years but they need to change tactics a bit IMO

Dana hyped this event to high heavens, needless to say it didn't live up to the hype. Talk of Emmys and Oscars haha. I'm sure it was cool in person but those videos looked like PS2 games.

Been my favourite sport for a long time but gee I struggle to care atm.

2. Belal, Merab, DDP, Pennington, Shev (even Pantoja, I like him but hardly a name) as champs
  4. Ngannou gone (would have been a star if they promoted fighters over their brand)
I've followed MMA for 20+ years, the shine is coming off the sport now. Stars drive sports like this and the UFC don't want stars to keep payroll low. God knows where we'll be in 5 years but they need to change tactics a bit IMO

Dana hyped this event to high heavens, needless to say it didn't live up to the hype. Talk of Emmys and Oscars haha. I'm sure it was cool in person but those videos looked like PS2 games.

I agree. The wrestling aspect of the sport has begun to really reign supreme that even the highest level strikers can't overcome it with high level takedown defense. The GSP era was a little different as some people had barely trained it for their entire lives so dominant wrestlers weren't really quashing anyone that talented and even then they were able to get off some powerful ground and pound to keep it entertaining.

It's essentially going to be combat wrestling from here on out and put an end the McGregor, Izzy, Silva, types that drive the support, I'm not sure that will maintain the ability to draw and keep it a mainstream sport.

For the good of the sport I think they should white feather this style as avoiding the fight.

been watchin ONE more tbh, can't stand the constant hugging anymore

I agree. The wrestling aspect of the sport has begun to really reign supreme that even the highest level strikers can't overcome it with high level takedown defense. The GSP era was a little different as some people had barely trained it for their entire lives so dominant wrestlers weren't really quashing anyone that talented and even then they were able to get off some powerful ground and pound to keep it entertaining.

It's essentially going to be combat wrestling from here on out and put an end the McGregor, Izzy, Silva, types that drive the support, I'm not sure that will maintain the ability to draw and keep it a mainstream sport.

For the good of the sport I think they should white feather this style as avoiding the fight.

I feel like the lower weights might represent what you're talking about re the wrestling aspect, HW is in a state of flux with Jones/Stipe holding things up. That said Aspinall is probably the best by a fair bit but he's in good fights, has probably cleaned out the division by the time he gets the belt.

It makes Pereira even more important I guess, but he's ripe for being wrestle****ed, giving him matchups like Rountree should ensure he stays right up there.

MW, well I like watching DDP, I think this division is fun and in a good spot, LW well they need to find a way through Islam but he's probably the best going around at the moment and I enjoy watching him.

In short the sport continues to go through phases, the rules are weighted towards strikers and I'm sure this will continue. I still enjoy watching even the APEX cards, regardless of the standard of the card you still see great fights and usually well matched.

I feel like the lower weights might represent what you're talking about re the wrestling aspect, HW is in a state of flux with Jones/Stipe holding things up. That said Aspinall is probably the best by a fair bit but he's in good fights, has probably cleaned out the division by the time he gets the belt.

It makes Pereira even more important I guess, but he's ripe for being wrestle****ed, giving him matchups like Rountree should ensure he stays right up there.

MW, well I like watching DDP, I think this division is fun and in a good spot, LW well they need to find a way through Islam but he's probably the best going around at the moment and I enjoy watching him.

In short the sport continues to go through phases, the rules are weighted towards strikers and I'm sure this will continue. I still enjoy watching even the APEX cards, regardless of the standard of the card you still see great fights and usually well matched.
DDP is in good fights, he's entertaining for sure. Still a no name champ that doesn't exactly create big events or hype.

Belal, pennington, shev are just 🤮. Merab not far off but I kind of like him

I've reached a point where I'm cheering for Rountree just to see how angry Dana gets. Love AP and his no nonsense approach but Ankalaev is the #1 contender. Cherry pick here by Dana, hope it backfires

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wrestling has almost always won. It's the best base for MMA by quite some distance

They need to change the knees to grounded opponent rules, it'll make wrestlers more exciting. Until then it's pretty shit and even then Belal will suck

DDP is in good fights, he's entertaining for sure. Still a no name champ that doesn't exactly create big events or hype.

Belal, pennington, shev are just 🤮. Merab not far off but I kind of like him

I've reached a point where I'm cheering for Rountree just to see how angry Dana gets. Love AP and his no nonsense approach but Ankalaev is the #1 contender. Cherry pick here by Dana, hope it backfires

I should add I'm not saying that Rountree is a walkover, dude has really improved his stand up and I think he may be more competitive on the feet than we think. That said a way better match up for Pereira than Ankalaev would be.

MMA fans when the sport is Mixed martial arts 🤬🤬🤬

O'Malley when all he can do is counterstrike vses a wrestler who doesn't strike 😢

When the UFC try something different and production wise 🤢🤢🤢

When the UFC can and do charge and make lots of money due to supply and demand 😤😤

Card was a banger. You saw Lopez just truck a top contender for the last 6 years.

You saw a potential GOAT answer critics saying she wasn't a great wrestler punish Grasso on the feet and beat the shit out of someone (Buttt pulling guard and attempting subs off the back is better then top control. Shev should just separate and ground and pound, nothing Grasso did in that fight prevented it )

You saw the best Bantamweight in the world piece up an excellent striker. Not just sit on a dude as well. Merab is active, always working.

I'm glad they are least stopped the action of Sean grabbing inside the glove, should of been a point.

You also saw some ****ing insane fights in the prelims and open the main cards. If you are shitting on this you either took a 40m shit at the start of the main card or you just want to watch a famous dominant striker win. Because you sure as shit ain't enjoying crazy striking like Zellhuber V Ribovics or the complete aspects of MMA with Ode V Rodriguez

Also. Imagine calling Shevchenko boring. She has fought Santos/Grasso who are elite grapplers but there is a reason ladies just try to wrestle**** her, is because she's one of the best strikers in the sport and unless your Nunes with godlike power, you are not striking with her. Even Nunes held on for dear like to squeak a decision

Last edited:

Takes away the whole point of ‘Mixed Martial Arts’ though.

I see it in a different light, we will adapt and in a few years from now we are going to see more Jon Jones types who can excel standing or grappling.

O'Malley when all he can do is counterstrike vses a wrestler who doesn't strike 😢

When the UFC can and do charge and make lots of money due to supply and demand 😤😤

Card was a banger. You saw Lopez just truck a top contender for the last 6 years.

You saw a potential GOAT answer critics saying she wasn't a great wrestler punish Grasso on the feet and beat the shit out of someone (Buttt pulling guard and attempting subs off the back is better then top control. Shev should just separate and ground and pound, nothing Grasso did in that fight prevented it )

You saw the best Bantamweight in the world piece up an excellent striker. Not just sit on a dude as well. Merab is active, always working.

I'm glad they are least stopped the action of Sean grabbing inside the glove, should of been a point.

You also saw some ****ing insane fights in the prelims and open the main cards. If you are shitting on this you either took a 40m shit at the start of the main card or you just want to watch a famous dominant striker win. Because you sure as shit ain't enjoying crazy striking like Zellhuber V Ribovics or the complete aspects of MMA with Ode V Rodriguez

Also. Imagine calling Shevchenko boring. She has fought Santos/Grasso who are elite grapplers but there is a reason ladies just try to wrestle**** her, is because she's one of the best strikers in the sport and unless your Nunes with godlike power, you are not striking with her. Even Nunes held on for dear like to squeak a decision
Shev isn't just boring, she's the female Jon Fitch. When was her last exciting fight?

Wmma is a tough watch at the best of times but she's not even exciting by wmma standards

Takes away the whole point of ‘Mixed Martial Arts’ though.

I see it in a different light, we will adapt and in a few years from now we are going to see more Jon Jones types who can excel standing or grappling.
We've reached a point where guys can mostly nullify the other. Natural progression. Neither title fight wouldn't have been stopped in 10 rounds today

I dont think we'll ever see someone as dominant as Jones tbh. The next progression is allowing grounded knees. Where guys get nullified as the skills get so much better, that opens up alot more finishing opportunity

Feels like way less stoppages since the new gloves came in

Merab controlled the whole fight, both on the ground and standing. And it wasn't all cuddling. One-sided fight. There's no hating on Merab. O'Malley's performance was questionable tho.

Thought Shev did a good job. Took the belt from Grasso without too many questions being asked. Sure, bit if a boring one, but job well n truly done.

The rest of the event was kinda decent. Some very cool fights throughout.

We've reached a point where guys can mostly nullify the other. Natural progression. Neither title fight wouldn't have been stopped in 10 rounds today

I dont think we'll ever see someone as dominant as Jones tbh. The next progression is allowing grounded knees. Where guys get nullified as the skills get so much better, that opens up alot more finishing opportunity

Feels like way less stoppages since the new gloves came in
Knees and 9-12 elbows from November 1st are allowed. Will be interesting to see!

Hey Dana lol

Remove this Banner Ad

MMA-UFC UFC 306 - Ronald McDonald vs Gimli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back