UK UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson - A loco recordarentur operum verborumque eius

Remove this Banner Ad

I see your point but it's a well established convention in Westminster systems that the Prime Minister is the leader of the party that forms government. Parties are entitled to choose their preferred way of choosing their leader. The Tories have used this method since 1998.

Also, the result would have been the same if the leadership election was by the popularly elected representatives.
and leaders will be axiomatically flawed, either they like the drink, the pudenda, both, or like Don Dunstan and PJK the arts and cuckoo clocks.

They dont often come out fully formed like Barack. Which makes one question, is the fully formed actually authentic (?), or is it pressed thru an algorithm matrix* to come out to appeal to the zeitgeist, be it intersectional ethix, or the stoic wartime POTUS. So that is is trick question, or it is really begging the question, because the subtext I imply is manifest

*almost a pleonasm, I meant one of those kitchen equipment tools like a garlic press.

#Type_A_personality_traits_and_hubris_paradox

#pudenda

usual caveat: more mellifluous than the mere singular pudendum
#slits

see(hear) a scott adams interview on Obama and what he implies

skilts

Looks like BoJo is becoming Prime Minister.

For how long is anybody's guess.

When I first arrived in Britain in 2004 there were two public figures that were widely acclaimed in the media and by the public at large, who seemed to me to be dodgier than three bob notes, even though I couldn't quite put my finger on why.

Jimmy Saville and Boris Johnson.

Boris really is a hateful character - albeit not as bad as Saville - and only the truly credulous or nasty are taken by, or even worse, choose to support, this charlatan.

I am confident that history shall bear out my view - his Prime Ministership will be a shortlived disaster.
he and Trump could defy all the rhetoric of the left, when they seek to overturn the people's choice*

I dont know UK politics to assess the situation he faces. He is a gestalt of most people's the Emipire conquered, jewish, ottoman, and most of all, highly, consumately, British. He will either burn in flames like you propose, or he may just master the threatened times

*caveat is HRC won the popular vote by a margin

I don't think it's Ireland's choice, I imagine border security is a condition of EU membership and there will be a border in one form or another between Europe and the UK in the event of a Brexit.

Given the miniscule chance of a deal ever being agreed upon all signs point to a hard Brexit. That puts the UK economy at jeopardy, the Irish peace process in peril and most likely leads to the dissolution of the UK itself.
In theory, but it won't happen. The EU had nothing to gain by shafting Eire, they don't want to take breakaway provinces because that means the have to accept the Catalans and the Basques. The EU will fold on the border

In theory, but it won't happen. The EU had nothing to gain by shafting Eire, they don't want to take breakaway provinces because that means the have to accept the Catalans and the Basques. The EU will fold on the border
They can't 'fold'.
The next EU sittings are in mid-October, and they are not about to tear up the single market terms of reference (which non-EU members also can adhere to e.g. Norway who is not an EU member but part of the single market).

The backstop is a British plan, it is up to Britain to satisfy the EU on border control issues. Not the other way round.

To the second: his entire rise from raffish, scruffy, error-prone journalist to Mayor of London, to elected MP, to Foreign Secretary to Prime Minister - in spite of very few actual achievements and plenty of damaging gaffes (particularly as Foreign Secretary) - is astonishing.

His entire persona is entirely invented. It's a facade. He literally messes up his hair before interviews and holds (and carries) himself like a clown on purpose.

It makes people underestimate him. He is incredibly ruthless, cunning and an excellent opportunist.

Julie Bishop had this to say about Boris:

“I worked with him very closely, developed a good working relationship with him over many years, and I’ve seen him in action in forums around the world. And it would be a huge mistake to underestimate him, as many of his critics do.”

https://www.news.com.au/finance/wor...n/news-story/3fff3039a5e19c01b130823a8280788f

I know people like this. They cultivate a particular persona to get you off guard, and so they can get away with murder. They're all literally sociopaths as well.

Boris has been handed the top job despite being sacked from a prior job for lacking integrity and lying, sexual misdemeanors, allegations of Domestic violence, admitted cocaine and drug use, frequent faux pas, infidelity, tactlessness, flip flopping on political positions and generally being a force of chaos.

Unlike the other world leader across the pond who shares those traits, he's actually incredibly smart underneath it all.

What intrigues me is now that he has used his Boris persona and cunning to get to the top office, what does he do now that he's there? Is the goal just to be PM, or does he actually have an agenda he wants to see through?

From Annabel Crabb's article yesterday:

An insight into how Boris works
The British journalist Jeremy Vine tells an anecdote about Johnson that is, while essentially trivial, a spectacular insight into the man's modus operandi.

Vine is scheduled to hand out awards at an event for the securitisation industry at which Johnson is the keynote speaker.

Johnson shows up one minute before he's due to speak, and appears to know neither a) that he's supposed to be speaking nor b) what securitisation is.

At this point, Vine (who has prepared with average diligence for the event) is paralysed with horror, but realises — as Johnson bumbles up on stage, overtly checks the banner behind him for the name of the organisation, gabbles something about sheep, then tells a completely irrelevant joke to which he forgets the punchline — that he's in the presence of greatness.

The audience loves it. And the whole thing becomes a great dinner party anecdote for Vine until, 18 months later, the journalist finds himself at another awards night for another unmemorable industry group at which Johnson is the featured speaker.

Again, Johnson crashes in with minutes to spare. And as Vine watches, utterly flummoxed again, but for different reasons, Johnson completes the same routine. Same sheep story, same ostentatious glance behind him to check the name of the awards, same joke, same forgotten punchline.

The power of incompetence may be one of the most inscrutable phenomena of the modern political age, but it certainly works.

Why else would a man like Boris Johnson feign it so carefully?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-25/boris-johnson-prime-minister-first-interview-media/11341660

original link to Jeremy Vine's Facebook post:

His entire persona is entirely invented. It's a facade. He literally messes up his hair before interviews and holds (and carries) himself like a clown on purpose.

It makes people underestimate him. He is incredibly ruthless, cunning and an excellent opportunist.

Julie Bishop had this to say about Boris:

https://www.news.com.au/finance/wor...n/news-story/3fff3039a5e19c01b130823a8280788f

I know people like this. They cultivate a particular persona to get you off guard, and so they can get away with murder. They're all literally sociopaths as well.

Boris has been handed the top job despite being sacked from a prior job for lacking integrity and lying, sexual misdemeanors, allegations of Domestic violence, admitted cocaine and drug use, frequent faux pas, infidelity, tactlessness, flip flopping on political positions and generally being a force of chaos.

Unlike the other world leader across the pond who shares those traits, he's actually incredibly smart underneath it all.

What intrigues me is now that he has used his Boris persona and cunning to get to the top office, what does he do now that he's there? Is the goal just to be PM, or does he actually have an agenda he wants to see through?

There was a documentary from the BBC a few years back, in which Boris' sister (Rachel) was a key contributor. The point she made several times was how ruthlessly competitive her brother was and how people kept underestimating him. He contention was that he has to win and the forum doesn't matter.

So he cultivates the raffish Eton charm - the bumbling bounder-type that middle England loves, which is cover for a more brazen personality.

Boris Johnson apparently doesn't like sport, but every time he competes in a charity game or for a publicity arrangement, that competitiveness and ruthlessness come through. Think back to all those times he's crash tackled people (including children!) in games. That's the other side of Boris, the one that is too often underestimated.

In another life, Boris would have made a very good business conman. Instead, he's conning people through the pursuit of power.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit rich for a lefty to condemn a party for virtue signaling about having women and brown people employed. Totally agree with his sentiment though: their character is what matters. #TheSquad
Who's the brit squad ?

240px-TheGoodies.jpg

They can't 'fold'.
The next EU sittings are in mid-October, and they are not about to tear up the single market terms of reference (which non-EU members also can adhere to e.g. Norway who is not an EU member but part of the single market).

The backstop is a British plan, it is up to Britain to satisfy the EU on border control issues. Not the other way round.

I agree with people who see Boris as a cute political operator who has a tendency to flip flop for expediency rather than stand on principle. But his first speech as Prime Minister was resolute. He has nailed his colours to the mast that he will deliver Brexit.

I think we saw Boris make his first speech of a general election campaign. One of the biggest problems has been the disparity between the will of the people for Brexit and the remainer parliament. For example, every single Conservative seat in Suffolk voted leave but every Conservative Suffolk MP was a Remainer. A realignment via a general election in the couple of months, with the Brexit party playing a role, might be the only way to get any proposed strategy though Parliament. I think he will go to the polls before the Tory party conference Sept 29 to Oct 2.

The last scheduled EU summit before the UK’s departure day is Oct 18-19. It will be dominated by Brexit. But there will be a shedload of negotiations before that to enable a possible new deal. Britain has some leverage. Boris hinted at refusing to pay the £39 billion Brexit divorce bill to the European Union unless the EU offered a better withdrawal agreement than the one currently on the table. In 2018, EU exports to the UK were £345 billion. No one wants a no deal - and with a British parliament committed to Brexit the EU will come back to the table and I suspect something will be agreed that both sides can claim is a win.

Same with the Irish border question. The backstop is dead. It was always meant as a temporary measure first proposed by Voldemort Varadkar. Certainty in the British parliament on Brexit will lead to resolution on the Irish border question.

Deal or no deal, after the Brexit deadline of Oct 31, 2019 fully fledged trade talks can begin between the UK and the EU, where both sides have certainty in the relative positions.

I agree with people who see Boris as a cute political operator who has a tendency to flip flop for expediency rather than stand on principle. But his first speech as Prime Minister was resolute. He has nailed his colours to the mast that he will deliver Brexit.

I think we saw Boris make his first speech of a general election campaign. One of the biggest problems has been the disparity between the will of the people for Brexit and the remainer parliament. For example, every single Conservative seat in Suffolk voted leave but every Conservative Suffolk MP was a Remainer. A realignment via a general election in the couple of months, with the Brexit party playing a role, might be the only way to get any proposed strategy though Parliament. I think he will go to the polls before the Tory party conference Sept 29 to Oct 2.

The last scheduled EU summit before the UK’s departure day is Oct 18-19. It will be dominated by Brexit. But there will be a shedload of negotiations before that to enable a possible new deal. Britain has some leverage. Boris hinted at refusing to pay the £39 billion Brexit divorce bill to the European Union unless the EU offered a better withdrawal agreement than the one currently on the table. In 2018, EU exports to the UK were £345 billion. No one wants a no deal - and with a British parliament committed to Brexit the EU will come back to the table and I suspect something will be agreed that both sides can claim is a win.

Same with the Irish border question. The backstop is dead. It was always meant as a temporary measure first proposed by Voldemort Varadkar. Certainty in the British parliament on Brexit will lead to resolution on the Irish border question.

Deal or no deal, after the Brexit deadline of Oct 31, 2019 fully fledged trade talks can begin between the UK and the EU, where both sides have certainty in the relative positions.

Lemon merangue pie

Apologies if already posted

Pie is actually parodying the main stream intersectional orthodoxy here (angy delivery makes it hard). He co-writes with the creator of Titania McGrath (Andrew Doyle) an old school leftists who rails against identity poltics. It's hard to tell these days whats a parady and whats not given the state of politics at the moment.

He appointed Cummings and Gove. They wont be afraid to get things done (see what they did in education). May on the other hand surrounded herself with muppets like Barwell.

Just heard someone on sky praising ‘BoJo’ for stating he will increase police numbers by 20,000.

Ironically the number his colleagues and he cut them by recently

Plenty of them were plastic cops, the mickey mouse sort invented by Blair.

Boris Johnson announced a process of recruiting 20,000 extra police officers “within weeks”.

This is the problem with populists. They announce changes that sound marvelous, but are absolutely impractical to realise.

Does he have 20,000 police officers in stock in his wine cellar? If not, I fear within weeks 20,000 police officers, that have absolutely no idea what they are doing, will stroll the streets of the UK.

Brexit with the UK's red lines enacted is just another example of such an unrealistic populist announcement.

He appointed Cummings and Gove. They wont be afraid to get things done (see what they did in education). May on the other hand surrounded herself with muppets like Barwell.

Plenty of them were plastic cops, the mickey mouse sort invented by Blair.

Because labour

Remove this Banner Ad

UK UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson - A loco recordarentur operum verborumque eius

Remove this Banner Ad

Back