Umpires in perth

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually don't know how it's possible for a side to get just 8 free kicks in a game of football.
The discrepancy I am not so worried about but 8 free kicks in a match there is something seriously wrong.
In our sport I think it is near on impossible no matter the score line for a side to get less than 4 free kicks each per quarter.

Thank you for supporting my argument.

Eagles won the free kick count v Saints in Melbourne as well as Perth. So what's your coaches view here then? The Eagles home crowd "affirmation" all of a sudden transferred 3,000 km across to Melbourne to your home ground?

Or is it more to do with game style or one team is simply better than the other over the sample period you've chosen?

Let's look at time in possession, game style and how teams defend a bit deeper. How about the quality of the forwards and the experience / quality of the defenders playing on them. Saints have been undersized in defense until this year against the likes of Kennedy, Darling and our rucks playing forward. Look at our defenders McGovern, Barrass and Yeo, they are intercept marking defenders not lock down spoilers like Nathan Brown. Eagles play a zone defense not man on man so less contested possessions and less chance of giving away frees.

But hey, it's easier (a so much more logical)to just don the tin foil hat, ignore facts, blame the umps for your teams short comings or blame the Perth fans for cheering louder than your own teams fans isn't it?

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2015/12/rich-v-wce

Tigers frees 25 almost double that of the Eagles frees 13. Who would have thought! Those umpires are so bias to home teams aren't they?

I don't see how my post supports your argument unless your argument is how well you get treated by the umpires when you play St Kilda.

I also don't see how it can just be put down to differing game styles either, especially when that is such a subjective thing that is impossible to prove.

Our game styles don't differ enough to justify the big discrepancy in free kicks, West Coast also get more 50/50 calls or wrong calls going their way.

Take our 2013 game at Etihad, as this article mentions there were numerous questionable free kicks that went your way in the last quarter.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/7b857ee466ad2540ed8a84b614fdd708

Dean Cox got things started when he converted after umpires ruled he was held by Rhys Stanley in a boundary throw-in wrestle just 30sec into the term, and with 11min left Matt Priddis made the most of another chance after copping a smack on the nose from Dylan Roberton that might have been missed most weeks. The call that really got the fans out of their seats came less than a minute later when Priddis tried to fend off Sean Dempster then dropped the ball as he fell to the turf. The umpire paid a push in the back which seemed tough on the Saints defender, who dragged Priddis down but landed beside him in the forward pocket. The result - another Eagles goal.

The last straw was when Ahmed Saad was pinged for holding the ball with just 22sec left in the game after he appeared to be collected high in a tackle as St Kilda made one last roll of the dice to snatch back the lead.

None of those free kicks had anything to do with game style, it was just West Coast getting the rub of the green at crucial times in a close game.

I actually don't know how it's possible for a side to get just 8 free kicks in a game of football.
The discrepancy I am not so worried about but 8 free kicks in a match there is something seriously wrong.
In our sport I think it is near on impossible no matter the score line for a side to get less than 4 free kicks each per quarter.
There was a game at Docklands v the Bulldogs in 2014 where Freo got four frees for the entire game.

In the media? Because BF, Twitter and Facebook don't really count. Don't recall much mention of Hawks getting favourable umpiring last year on any TV shows or in papers when they were seemingly carried to a number of close wins by the umps :rolleyes:

Check today's age. 3 articles on pg42.

One on hope town umpiring...WCE features, but they're not the whole thing (bulldogs mentioned as doing better than WCE). One on the bulldogs being the "umpires pets" and another about Sydney being in touch with the umps wanting to know why they're doing so badly on the free kick count.

You were saying?

Last edited:
This 'umpires in Perth' thing is out of control now that it's gained legs in the meejah.

It isn't the same everywhere, we don't get the same sort of umpire favouritism at our home games that West Coast get at Subiaco.

In fact there have been some games in recent years where we've been screwed by the umpires playing West Coast at Etihad as well.

So is it the umpiring in Perth or isn't it? Is it the umpiring in all West Coast games? All games involving St Kilda?

Free kick tallies apparently matter and need to balance for fairness to have occurred...

2016 overall free kick tallies:

West Coast
FF 457 (19.9 per game)
FA 435 (18.9)

Fremantle
FF 380 (17.3)
FA 392 (17.8)

St Kilda
FF 370 (16.8)
FA 394 (17.9)

West Coast 2016 free kick tallies H&A:

Home (inc. v Freo)
FF 249 (22.6 per game)
FA 202 (18.4 )

'Away' v Freo
FF 15
FA 18

Away
FF 193 (19.3)
FA 215 (21.5)

So at home we were on average 4.2 free kicks better off per game compared to 2.2 worse off away.

For whatever it's worth our home record was 10 W 1 L with an average winning margin of 58. Our away record was 6 W 5 L. Average winning margin 23, average losing margin 31.

The 'favoured' West Coast still give away more free kicks (home or away) than St Kilda. Maybe we should ask the AFL why they pay so many frees against us.

St Kilda played 4 home matches against non-Victorian sides and won all 4 free kick counts (despite being pasted in 2 of those games) for an average of 19 FF, 15.3 FA. I guess the crowd in Melbourne has an influence too...

With the same type of one sided crowd I swear we only generally get around parity at best.

You just need to apply logical reasoning.

Crowd umpires the game in Perth. Different crowd for Freo and WC games.

Different crowd therefore different umpires therefore different result.

The only thing that is certain is that the crowd, teams, venue etc. don't influence the inherent bias against St Kilda.

You just need to apply logical reasoning.

Crowd umpires the game in Perth. Different crowd for Freo and WC games.

Different crowd therefore different umpires therefore different result.

The only thing that is certain is that the crowd, teams, venue etc. don't influence the inherent bias against St Kilda.
I just wonder whether having guys like Crowley and Ballantyne in the team have hurt us and we have a rep for backchatting them or something, also don't have anyone good at getting 'professional' frees. Walters tries but is horrible at it and now actually costs him legitimate free kicks.

edit -

I just wonder whether having guys like Crowley and Ballantyne in the team have hurt us and we have a rep for backchatting them or something, also don't have anyone good at getting 'professional' frees. Walters tries but is horrible at it and now actually costs him legitimate free kicks.

I'm not sure. We have Shuey and previously had Hams and two Selwoods who were prolific free kick getters. Pro rata for Hams who only got about 10 touches a game. And of course we had wacky waving inflatable arm-flailing tubeman Cox who could get a free kick from a ruck contest with his eyes closed. Last year we had Shuey (inside mid, 2nd), Lycett (ruckman, 6th) and Kennedy (key forward, 15th) in the top 20 for frees. Shuey was also in the top 20 for frees against. None of those are really out of the ordinary, apart from Lycett who'd rank outside the top 10 rucks for the year but still played most games.

We also have Darling who is a stager but not a big free kick getter. LeCras has become a flopper too and isn't a big free kick getter either. The umpires would be onto them. Granted Kennedy is the number one target inside 50 but I reckon the umpires see him as a pretty fair player and don't tend to give him a huge amount of frees for or against. The non-push against Nathan Brown the other night I think was fair enough, but probably would've been paid against Buddy Franklin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread......words cannot express my disdain.

Freo don't get this sort of umpiring at home so insinuating it's Perth games as a whole is quite insulting.

Secondly look to the umpires to prove this isn't the case and guess what, it's Freo in Perth playing #freekickbulldogs

The silence from this game will be defeating when the Bulldogs get 26 free kick to Freo's 7 because it's allowed to happen when Freo are the ones bent over.

We had a game where we got 4 free kicks for a whole game. I counted 8 missed to Freo that afternoon but guess what, there was no outcry then.

Double standards can **** off.

So a team that travels to the other side of the country every second week gets an unfair advantage over a club that may only do that trip once when they play at home????????
Really, that is pretty much the argument right?
Learn how to tackle better, dispose of the ball better and generally become more skilful and maybe you won't give so many frees away.

An unfair home ground advantage, geez my heart bleeds.

Bulldogs you say.
I think there was game last year where Carlton got 4 free against the bulldogs.
To only conceive 4 free's in a game is very disciplined or the umpires are doing a Sh!t job.

Carlton had 13 free kicks in that game to the Bulldogs 30.

4 free kicks in the Freo game was the umpires doing an unbelievably shit job.

Umpires giving St Kilda an absolute armchair ride v Brisbane today.

yet a team that dominated the game other than accuracy loses the free kick count....we had more behind then brisbane shots on goal.... cool story
as i said in game day thread at quarter time.we got a couple soft ones early however umps missed a few obvious ones our way in the same patch. at quarter time i feel in scheme of things brisbane shouldve felt denied by 1 free kick.

Umpires giving St Kilda an absolute armchair ride v Brisbane today.

They won the free kick count in the first round as well.

A club that had Schneider - blow me over with the wind; Riewoldt treatment and Houghton climbing all over forwards has no claim to complain about umpiring.

Saints fans wouldn't have even noticed the free kick count until West Coast hit the front. So desperate to find any excuse for the loss, had a quick look at the stats and there you go, perfect excuse. Aside from a few dodgy calls both ways, umpires didn't have any effect. Commentators didn't even feel the need to make a comment about it throughout the entire game. Not one mention of the free kick count differential.
Bullshit

saint Kilda lost the free kick count against the lions 23 to 20 but won the game

Do you think the AFL Umpires Assoc were trying to show us , whose running the show.

They appointed the same Umpires they had last week in WA .Donlon, O'Gorman, Harris
Now tell me thats not waving a red flag at us.

saint Kilda lost the free kick count against the lions 23 to 20 but won the game

Do you think the AFL Umpires Assoc were trying to show us , whose running the show.

They appointed the same Umpires they had last week in WA .Donlon, O'Gorman, Harris
Now tell me thats not waving a red flag at us.
what's worse the eagles won the free count at the G. The perceived pressure from Subi obviously has a major impact.

Another way of looking at it is what teams give away the most penalties?

But don't let facts cloud your rant

what's worse the eagles won the free count at the G. The perceived pressure from Subi obviously has a major impact.

Another way of looking at it is what teams give away the most penalties?

But don't let facts cloud your rant
Sydney have given away more free kicks than they've received in 9 of their last 10 games, they fail to acknowledge this and still are assured there's a conspiracy against them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires in perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back