Umpiring [vs Eagles Mega Thread]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was more shitty with the umpire calling advantage with bastinac and the touch of the boot when Black to a mark 15 out straight in front

Daw dropping a couple of sitters. McMahon losing body contact on LeCras. Thomas having all the time in the world when running towards goal but panicked and kicked too early, letting a sheep dog like Hill off the leash. We made more mistakes than the ump.
Every AFL player makes mistakes, but last night the umpires were just guessing. David King summed it up perfectly on radio this morning with two bits of gold. "I thought umpires were meant to only pay what they see?" and the best one "You could just tell that they were looking to pay a free kick for something".

A truly shamefull night for football. Umpires just shat themselves and YET AGAIN got sucked in by those 100% cheats Shuey and Selwood. Could maybe accept it it if it was a one off BUT they f@*#^n do it every f&?@*n week and have been for years now. And the morons at AFL land just let it go, pretending its not an issue, giving bullshit explanations, treating us fans like idiots etc.
I just sat on the couch for nearly 2 hours in total disbelief after the game, completely numb but not at all surprised by the way we lost this match. I could actually 'smell' something was about to happen, it was brewing.
It was like someone had a remote control and wanted the West Coast Needles to get over the 'line' at any cost.
Umpires in professional sport like everyone else in any workplace need to be accountable especially if they lose the plot and completely screw up like they did last night.
I've been a North member for over 30 years and never miss a match and have also worked at the MCG for 23 years at a casual ground attendant. Have seen hundreds and hundreds of games and millions of shit decisions BUT last night was the worst of the worst by far. The game is killing itself.

I usually watch a few of the other games over the weekend but I'm over the same crap being trotted out by the weak media who are scared to upset the AFL.
They are all a pack of soft bastards .

Need more people like Mark McClure and Sam Newman who will say it as they see it.
Hallelujah, I'm not the only one that thinks like this.
It's like everybody at Foxfooty and channel 7 is employed by the AFL media department.
Don't say anything negative. Gloss over the facts and patronise our intelligence with moronic commentary.
FFS, grow a spine and just call what you see

What I find most ironical is that no one is hardly talking about Nic Nat's speccy and goal after the siren, because of the incompetency that took place last night. But the irony is that if the morons did their job that mark probably doesn't happen anyway?

What I find most ironical is that no one is hardly talking about Nic Nat's speccy and goal after the siren, because of the incompetency that took place last night. But the irony is that if the morons did their job that mark probably doesn't happen anyway?

Did wonder how the **** he marked it in that pack?

I couldnt see for the tears in my eyes.

Don't you mean all year at Eagles games only? I'm still shaking my head at how one team is the beneficiary of such utter incompetence. The Selwood and Shuey ducks were terrible, but by far the most abysmal decisions were the non-hold against Priddis, the touched call when Black marked and the Bastinac advantage. These are just about up there with some of the worst umpiring decisions I have seen all year.

Can someone tell me how the Adams in the back was not paid? Wasn't it a carbon copy of the Bartel dive? They should eradicate that free as well to many players now when tackled dive forward to draw the free kick. But surprise, surprise again they chose to ignore it when it's the Eagles infringing ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a nuetral supporter the umps certainly were looking to give the Eagles a free late in the game. Brett Ratten and Al Clarkson made the AFL aware of the terrible umpiring away sides get at Patterson stadium last year and nothing seems to change , the umpiring department has to have a serious look at fairness at perth games, when the kangaroo players were infringed in the last qrt they called play on or ball up , yet the eagles were awarded some very soft frees. The duckwood ( selwood ) brothers including the one at Geelong need to start being pinged for ducking they are making the umpires look even more stupid than they are. The only consolation you can take is that it evens out as the season continues and you win a game as a result of some luck with the umps.

"The second one was too high, on the ground."
Awesome. I expect all incidental high contact at the bottom of all packs to be paid all year.

That umpire must've had money on the game, you simply don't pay that with 20 seconds on the clock.
What a joke, rewarding pussies like selwood for dropping the knees and throwing the head back.

We have to play the sons of duck shut twice, also get to watch Most games fee to air, they are a blight and the only reason they get away with it is there large supporter base, the local rag are too scared to report on it. Look at the stats over the last 4 years it is disgusting.

Best marking and best kicking? I hope you are not talking about Petrie.

We had to take our chance to ice the game, that is actually kicking the regulation goal in the corridor during crunch time.
Black. The mark he took in front that was robbed.

Black. The mark he took in front that was robbed.

I agree, there were a lot of really dodgy calls against us that Eagles didn't really cop, like the Bastinac play on despite him not really playing on.

But, despite all that, the bad umpiring wouldn't have been a factor if we took the opportunities we had and didn't make so many unforced errors. We lack the level of composure and the care with our disposal at times.

Port copped a bad run with the umpiring against us and nobody cared about the crime against humanity. I said they were sloppy in their tackling attempts and it was true. We were sloppy in the last 5 minutes, our error count and bad decision making ballooned out of control. If we had some semblance of composure they could have doubled the free kick count and we still would have won.

Just watching the Hawks/GWS match and Scully copped one of the worst decision you'd ever see under the new sliding rule. Hodgey collected his head with his knees and won a free. GWS played on thinking it was their kick, quite rightly, so it was 50 against them as well and Hodge got a goal,
Scully was over the ball and Hodge was extremely clumsy.
What the hell is the game coming to?

We made more mistakes than them. We need to learn to ice a game.
Last night we were ready to ice the game with Black marking directly in front and the opportunity to go 4 goals clear but the umpires robbed us of that chance by guessing and paying a touched ball decision.

I didn't have an issue with the touched call to be honest. It would have sounded touched when he slapped the boot and that's a reflex call.

The worst for me, in order:

1) Thompson not getting a holding the man free kick on the wing. Just ridiculous, he was being tackled ffs.

2) Hurn on Wright. Umpire clearly turned around in time to see it.

3) The Thomas free/Bastinac advantage. Surely umpires can see that having a set shot 35 out is the best outcome. Bastinac didn't at any stage look like he was trying to take advantage. They should never call advantage inside forward 50 unless it's a clear shot at goal.

4) Selwood free.

5) Shuey free.

Sadly, if Wright kicks the goal we win anyway. And Black's kick in the last 30 seconds probably bounces over the line nine times out of 10. This time it bounced back into Selwood's arms, who had no intention of getting rid of the footy and every intention of trying to win a free kick.

Umpire says 'second one on the ground was high.'

Yeh okay.

And I dont know why someone didnt have the inclination to break loose to the right of Black and make a lead?

This is a complete manipulation of the high tackle rule, and not in the spirit of the game. If you watch this footage you can clearly see what the usual suspects from West Coast constantly do.

Instead of firing the handball back to Gaff, who can go back into space, Selwood runs directly at three North Melbourne players rugby style, drops his left leg into the tackle and throws his head back.

This is also infuriating, because a more pure footballer lifts his arms up, so the ball cannot be pinned to your body, and you can get a handball out above your head if you're tackled. The AFL now rewards players who tuck the footy into their chests, tilt there heads, and charge directly at the oncoming player instead of trying to evade the tackler.

I think this whole problem is made worse by the fact the AFL now would rather players just drop the ball without correctly disposing of it, then getting it pinned to them, unable to correctly dispose of it.

The rules of the game are just too convoluted and all wrong.

Btw, Thompson is often guilty of ducking his entire body so his opponent can't get a clear tackle, and Thomas often goes completely limp like a Goldfish after any contact, but West Coast's treatment from the umps at the House of Pain is just too much for me to handle.

I didn't have an issue with the touched call to be honest. It would have sounded touched when he slapped the boot and that's a reflex call.

You should have an issue with it because unless the umpire see the ball touched he has no right to make that call. If he claims he saw it touched then the guy needs his eyes checked. It was a guess at best and umpires aren't paid to adjudicate by guessing. If you don't see it the call is play on.

You should have an issue with it because unless the umpire see the ball touched he has no right to make that call. If he claims he saw it touched then the guy needs his eyes checked. It was a guess at best and umpires aren't paid to adjudicate by guessing. If you don't see it the call is play on.

He heard the hand slap the boot, assumed it was touched and blew his whistle. Often sound is as valuable as deflections etc in situations like that, otherwise you would never see touched off the boot paid.

I'm not saying it's correct but I can see why it was called touched, and if Adams kicks the goal (which he should have) then it's a non issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back