Umpiring [vs Eagles Mega Thread]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He heard the hand slap the boot, assumed it was touched and blew his whistle. Often sound is as valuable as deflections etc in situations like that, otherwise you would never see touched off the boot paid.

I'm not saying it's correct but I can see why it was called touched, and if Adams kicks the goal (which he should have) then it's a non issue.
So you advocate umpires guessing then? The simple rule as an umpire is that you only pay what you see, not what you think may have happened? The key word you use is assumed and that is what makes it a terrible decision, he assumed it was touched based on a sound, not what he saw. A good umpire would have called play on because a good umpire would not assume.

So you advocate umpires guessing then? The simple rule as an umpire is that you only pay what you see, not what you think may have happened? The key word you use is assumed and that is what makes it a terrible decision, he assumed it was touched based on a sound, not what he saw. A good umpire would have called play on because a good umpire would not assume.

Umpiring is an instinctive as any part of the game. He hears the sound, he thinks "touched" and he blows the whistle, all within a second or two.

I'm not saying it's correct, I'm saying I can see why it was called and in context there were far worse decisions. It's only because Black marked it that everyone is crowing about it. Were you as passionate when Lewis had a goal wiped out against us?

they deleted my thread "get the new tv ready" well last night the tv was soo close to be smashed I felt like jumping on a plane to perth and teach those umpires how to do they job.......

north didnt play the best .......but the umpiring really f***ed the game up badly

they deleted my thread "get the new tv ready" well last night the tv was soo close to be smashed I felt like jumping on a plane to perth and teach those umpires how to do they job.......

north didnt play the best .......but the umpiring really f***ed the game up badly

I didn't delete it I merged it into the banter thread.

And by the way : remember the 50 paid against LT in the Geelong game for manning the mark after running from behind the player with the ball? Saw a couple of WCE's do that last night.....ignored by the umps and the commentators.

Why can't we have the same rules/interpretations from one week to the next?

And by the way : remember the 50 paid against LT in the Geelong game for manning the mark after running from behind the player with the ball? Saw a couple of WCE's do that last night.....ignored by the umps and the commentators.

Why can't we have the same rules/interpretations from one week to the next?

How can you engineer results if everyone knows what's going on?

I can't wait to hear the excuses Geisch comes up with this week.
I reckon they'll cop to the Bastinac non-advantage being wrong and the Black "touched", but they'll say the Selwood-Adams tackle was high because they have the vision.
I really hope he addresses what the umpire meant by the "second one being high", Swallow was nowhere near Selwood.

Umpiring is an instinctive as any part of the game. He hears the sound, he thinks "touched" and he blows the whistle, all within a second or two.

I'm not saying it's correct, I'm saying I can see why it was called and in context there were far worse decisions. It's only because Black marked it that everyone is crowing about it. Were you as passionate when Lewis had a goal wiped out against us?
That went to a review, so totally different. The decision wasn't made on a sound. It's not meant to be instinctive, they are meant to pay what they see plain and simple, it's not a hard thing to do. Did I see a touch? No...then play on. Leave the instincts to the players.

Selwood one is holding the ball. Forget the high tackle, he dropped the footy. Prior op, no disposal. Pick one.

I would have thought denying a shot from 35M directly in front was a pretty big **** up, wouldn't you? By your logic they should have called Selwood's kick into the F50 touched as well, no big deal if they denied Nic Nat the mark....right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That went to a review, so totally different. The decision wasn't made on a sound. It's not meant to be instinctive, they are meant to pay what they see plain and simple, it's not a hard thing to do. Did I see a touch? No...then play on. Leave the instincts to the players.

I think you're struggling to understand what I am saying. A guess means the umpire has assessed the situation and still decided "I think...". An instinctive reaction means, in that particular moment, the umpire is certain of what has happened.

He sees Selwood attempt to smother, he hears the sound, he blows the whistle. It's a purely instinctive decision and unless everything goes to video or you have robots umpiring, that's going to happen.

Shit like the Hurn/Wright call, and the Bastinac advantage etc are far worse because the umpire has all the time in the world to see it and make a calculated decision.

I think you're struggling to understand what I am saying. A guess means the umpire has assessed the situation and still decided "I think...". An instinctive reaction means, in that particular moment, the umpire is certain of what has happened.

He sees Selwood attempt to smother, he hears the sound, he blows the whistle. It's a purely instinctive decision and unless everything goes to video or you have robots umpiring, that's going to happen.

Shit like the Hurn/Wright call, and the Bastinac advantage etc are far worse because the umpire has all the time in the world to see it and make a calculated decision.
Let's agree to disagree. I don't cop that it was instinctive at all, I think it was purely a guess like so many decisions these day. The quicker these guys stop guessing and only pay what they see, the better the game will be. At the end of the day it was a putrid decision that cost the opportunity for a goal and chance to put the game away.

And does anyone know what that downfield to Kennedy that resulted in a goal was for?

That was the downfield-advantage-play on have a shot at goal-OK it missed so bring it back and have another rule.

So that was paid for Lindsay's 'contact' after the kick?

**** me dead. Lindsay didnt touch him. He was the one put down by an Eagles player.
LT got up and remonstrated, it was when he was doing this that he gave away the free. By the time he got up the ball was in the forward line so free paid where the ball was.

LT got up and remonstrated, it was when he was doing this that he gave away the free. By the time he got up the ball was in the forward line so free paid where the ball was.

Is there vision of this?

Yep typical b/s from umps in front of a Perth crowd. Wouldn't have been i nthat situation if Sam Wright hadn't have failed when it mattered...again.

They showed the vision.

Thomas barely touched the p[layer as he was kicking.

The remonstration resulted in Thomas being put down. They showed it twice and I couldnt comprehend what the downfield was for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back