Umpiring [vs Eagles Mega Thread]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many players do it, Im a North supporter but S.Thompson does it frequently, Cunners and even Spitter now n then as examples.

That sucks dude. It's hard to be a supporter when your own players are pulling this sort of shit. Ultimately the blame has to go to the umpires and the rules committee though. They spent years trying to tweak the rules to lessen the amount of head high contact but now they've got players deliberately using their heads as battering rams to win free kicks. AFL seriously needs to wake the **** up.

I usually watch a few of the other games over the weekend but I'm over the same crap being trotted out by the weak media who are scared to upset the AFL.
They are all a pack of soft bastards .

Need more people like Mark McClure and Sam Newman who will say it as they see it.

Know how you feel fellows.

Just for interest, most independent observers agree that the umpiring in the Hawthorn v Sydney match was an exercise in incompetence. The umpires were Dalgleish, Nicholls and Meredith and what happens? They are rewarded with control of the AFL's Friday nights showpiece.

Really one has to wonder what the hell is going on.

I have started a thread titled 'A new broom?' on the Hawthorn board I hope it leads to a rational discussion on the way the game is going, rules committee and rule changes, umpiring, AFL Autocracy and all things that we are all concerned about with our game.

Rational input is most welcome.

Many players do it, Im a North supporter but S.Thompson does it frequently, Cunners and even Spitter now n then as examples.

The fact that a lot of players duck into tackles to draw kicks these days, doesn't make it right. It's a blight on the game. The player who instigates high contact (in this case Selwood) should be the one that is punished. If the rules of the game don't state this already, they bloody well should.

I'm not going to argue whether the free-kicks were there or not. But, in the spirit of our great game, you were robbed.

That sucks dude. It's hard to be a supporter when your own players are pulling this sort of shit. Ultimately the blame has to go to the umpires and the rules committee though. They spent years trying to tweak the rules to lessen the amount of head high contact but now they've got players deliberately using their heads as battering rams to win free kicks. AFL seriously needs to wake the **** up.

This.

I don't know whether it's Geischen's problem or Demetriou's. But, someone needs to fix it... Now!

Know how you feel fellows.

Just for interest, most independent observers agree that the umpiring in the Hawthorn v Sydney match was an exercise in incompetence. The umpires were Dalgleish, Nicholls and Meredith and what happens? They are rewarded with control of the AFL's Friday nights showpiece.

Really one has to wonder what the hell is going on.

I have started a thread titled 'A new broom?' on the Hawthorn board I hope it leads to a rational discussion on the way the game is going, rules committee and rule changes, umpiring, AFL Autocracy and all things that we are all concerned about with our game.

Rational input is most welcome.

We know now that there are drugs in the AFL. I'm starting to believe that the umpires are involved in match fixing.

You can't deal in hypotheticals Mufassa. We can only discuss what actually happened. Like the 50/50 free kick that was paid that led them to winning the game.
I hate AFL umpires but they do it to themselves.
You came on here and said we would have won the game if not for that last free - that idiot is a hypothetical!!

I was going to say how much I was enjoying them letting most things go. We've had some whistle-run games, but this isn't one of them as far as I can see.

That was at half time - if they'd kept it going until the end it would have been great. And North would have won. The late "likes" are getting up my nose.

Someone needs to make footage of all the bullshit decisions they got and the ones we didn't get.

I think it was in the 2nd quarter but what was the go with, I think Thompson, getting tackled without the ball twice in a row on the wing and no free kick? Anyone got a video of it or remember what I'm talking about?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This shows the Shuey free, which is probably a worse decision than the Selwood one..the way these players are manipulating the umpires is beyond a joke.

You came on here and said we would have won the game if not for that last free - that idiot is a hypothetical!!

Theres no need to start calling names. You can look at it 2 ways. Hypothetically they call that 50/50 play on and you win the game or factually they called a free that shouldn't of been called WC win the game.
Thats enough for me here. This is more posting on opposition boards than i need.

Gary Lyon MMM atm-

"North robbed".

Issues with holding the man and then the man caught falling forward and then 'in the back.'

Listened to the Selwood Umpire 4X...'paid the second one...and there wasnt a second one'.

Schwatta said Selwood was tackled really well.

JB- hopes that Gieschen tells them that if 30 seconds left you have to be 150% correct. Or ball it up. It had to be there.

We know they are duckers and cheat when they can - Adams had to go lower and take out any doubt.

This was a clear case of the umpires winning the game for West Coast.
I know umpiring decisions are not always perfect, but those last two frees against the Roos for in the back were a disgrace to the umpires responsibility to uphold a fair contest.

I guess consistency is a really big issue week in and week out. The enforcement of rules shouldn't vary much at all. Think about when Luke Hodge slided into Harry O in Round 3 Pies vs Hawks. Hodge ended up with a free kick even though the free should have been against him. He broke the rule and slid into Harry's knee and hurt himself. Pay the free for sympathy? What rubbish...

Pay the frees out of sympathy for West Coast because they're close to losing at a home game?

Umpire says 'second one on the ground was high.'

Yeh okay.

And I dont know why someone didnt have the inclination to break loose to the right of Black and make a lead?

2nd one high...that truly is mind boggling! I'm not sure what else he could have done there. I'd say throw your hands up and move out of the way but even Petrie has been pinged this season for high contact doing that. The Shuey one...
16170812-rage-gif-.gif

Icing it, like a beautiful pass to our best marking and kicking forward right in front to take an unbeatable lead in the last quarter? Wish we'd done that.

Best marking and best kicking? I hope you are not talking about Petrie.

We had to take our chance to ice the game, that is actually kicking the regulation goal in the corridor during crunch time.

As Sam Newman famously says, it's not the ones they don't pay that infuriate people, it's the ones they DO pay.

Especially when those ones decide contests.

Will the AFL ever realise that people aren't complaining just because their team gets the occasional rough ride? They're complaining because of how soft and technical most of these free kicks are. They're complaining because the umpires job is being made impossible by ridiculous rule interpretations. They're complaining because in the heat of the moment umpires don't know how to officiate in the spirit of the game.

Too high on Selwood? Give me a break. The guy slipped under a very good tackle like he and his brothers have been doing for years. You could see it coming a mile away.

Play on.

Well said.

Shuey is even more of a disgrace than selwood. He just flails to the ground purposely and ziebell did almost everything he could to prevent in the back. 50/50 at best that should be let go

I don't get it.

"Second one was high ... on the ground"?

After they went to ground Adams wrapped his leg around Selwood and Grima and Swallow came in to contest the footy. No high contact whatsoever.

Serious question: what on earth is the umpire talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back