Unpopular Basketball Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Greek Freak is very good, he is just several levels below Durant. That's pretty obvious to everyone with eyes.
oh hai jod, how you feeling about Giannis now that he's shat on your team from a great height on consecutive days and likely killed your team off for the season? :)

There isn't a great deal of difference between Durant and Giannis at the same age. Durant posted a PER of 26.2 in his 3rd seasons at 21 (dropped to 23.6 in his 4th season). Giannis is currently posting at 26.3 in his 4th season at 22.

Win Shares / per 48 minutes tell a pretty similar story. Box Plus/Minus suggest that Giannis is having a much larger impact on his teams performance, particularly on the defensive end, than Durant was at the same age (it's actually higher than Durant is posting this season).

Now none of this is comprehensive but it suggests that Giannis is tracking exceptionally well not just for his age but overall. Durant is clearly the better scorer - I'd argue that Durant has the most complete offensive game since Jordan - but Giannis has him covered in some other areas that helps to narrow the gap. I think a lot of people have forgotten that it took a number of years before Durant developed an all-round game - for his first four or five years he was largely just a scorer that rebounded a bit.

Can Giannis take that next step? Well the first challenge is replicating his existing form over 82 games. That will be no small feat for a 22 year old.

oh hai jod, how you feeling about Giannis now that he's shat on your team from a great height on consecutive days and likely killed your team off for the season? :)
Oh hey bro. I feel the exact same about Giannis. I said he was very good, and he still is. Just because the Bucks beat the Bulls twice doesnt change that or make Giannis any better or anywhere near Durant.

Wouldnt say at 13-13 the season has been killed off. Not that it matters anyways, we're not exactly title challengers.

But cool post mate.

Oh hey bro. I feel the exact same about Giannis. I said he was very good, and he still is. Just because the Bucks beat the Bulls twice doesnt change that or make Giannis any better or anywhere near Durant.

Wouldnt say at 13-13 the season has been killed off. Not that it matters anyways, we're not exactly title challengers.

But cool post mate.
Bitterness postpones reality. You'll get there. :)

Probably not the right place for it as I'm guessing it might be a popular opinion, but...

Why do divisions still exist?

I'm sure this discussion has been had a few times & I think the only real reason left (other than tradition) is to guarantee 4 match-ups per year, but what's the point anymore.

Probably not the right place for it as I'm guessing it might be a popular opinion, but...

Why do divisions still exist?

I'm sure this discussion has been had a few times & I think the only real reason left (other than tradition) is to guarantee 4 match-ups per year, but what's the point anymore.

it cuts down on travel

So it turns out Giannis is a superstar, already at 22. Fun times.

Here's a comparison between Giannis, Durant and T-Mac at the same age. Among the most "limitless" guys in terms of potential to ever come into the NBA, certainly over the past 20 years.

They all came into the league at age 18 (Durant was very young in his lone year in college), all long, super-athletic and skinny, with unusual skillsets, ballhandling ability and agility for their height. We didn't really see too many guys 6'8"-6'11" playing the 2/3 spot the way they did/do prior to these guys.

Durant was obviously a volume scorer earlier than both (ended up with two scoring titles by the age of 22), but it's interesting to see that Giannis and T-Mac's career numbers are so similar at the same age, with McGrady actually looking slightly better defensively. It'll be fun to see if Giannis can continue his production on both ends of the floor as his scoring ability and playmaking responsibilities grow, and if he ever reaches the same peak as T-Mac at his best (2002-03) or Durant's current prime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally disagree. Both have other superstars on their teams too.

Both have gun ball handlers in their team.

Statistically he's been superior too.
Fair enough for you to have that opinion as he is having a spectacular year. But I think that he will end up in the second team.. there is nothing wrong with not being named as one of the top 5 players in the NBA by position, especially when your his age. My teams as of now. Westbrook, Harden, Lebron, Durant, Davis
Thomas, Butler, Leonard, Antetekounmpo, Cousins.
This is just my opinion so no hate pls

Fair enough for you to have that opinion as he is having a spectacular year. But I think that he will end up in the second team.. there is nothing wrong with not being named as one of the top 5 players in the NBA by position, especially when your his age. My teams as of now. Westbrook, Harden, Lebron, Durant, Davis
Thomas, Butler, Leonard, Antetekounmpo, Cousins.
This is just my opinion so no hate pls

No hate at all.
And it all depends, because they take into account the team record too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back