Opinion Unpopular Opinions: Dons Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who complains of an adverse event from a Covid injection is weak-willed in all of their mind, body and soul.
Now that I'm two days past the first AZ jab, fight me

Bump.

I'd let Parish walk in FA next year, providing the compo pick nets us similar to what it did for Joe. It's clear we need a better midfield mix and whilst he is obviously a very good player, I can't help but feel our current midfield is too samey in skillset, size and playstyle. Caldwell and Hobbs should be our smaller-bodied inside mids going forward but we need a couple of bigger bulls. Andy McGrath and another pencil neck isn't going to win us anything. Could be a scenario where we lose Parish, but gain Hopper and a top 10 pick. I'd do that and not look back.

Bump.

I'd let Parish walk in FA next year, providing the compo pick nets us similar to what it did for Joe. It's clear we need a better midfield mix and whilst he is obviously a very good player, I can't help but feel our current midfield is too samey in skillset, size and playstyle. Caldwell and Hobbs should be our smaller-bodied inside mids going forward but we need a couple of bigger bulls. Andy McGrath and another pencil neck isn't going to win us anything. Could be a scenario where we lose Parish, but gain Hopper and a top 10 pick. I'd do that and not look back.
Absolutely agree that the dynamics of our midfield need to be altered however I’d be far more inclined to allow McGrath to explore his options.

Still blows my mind that we weren’t all over George Hewett last off season, we clearly have/had cap space at the time and whilst he did seem set on Carlton we should’ve been doing everything to get him across.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pun Reaction GIF

Bump.

Think I actually advocated Merrett as part of the trade to get Dunkley.

Not because Dunkley is better but because it was obvious to me then, and remains so now, that as a collective our midfield has not been assembled with the idea of putting together a balanced, winning unit.

It will take some really strong leadership to fix this - let’s see if anyone at the club has the cojones to do it.

Our AFLW team will win a final before our men's team

That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. There's a fair chance they'd probably win a premiership before the men's team as well... actually they could win a premiership before the mem win a final.

Not convinced cox is going to be that good to be honest.

He has an attribute which would have me putting a line through him in the top 10, narrow shoulders at 6'6. Will he ever carry the weight to be a kpp? If he can't, what is he?

To date, he hasn't done anything he couldn't have done at 6'3. At 6'3, who cares?

I can't tell with Reid though my impression is that he will/can carry weight.

He has an attribute which would have me putting a line through him in the top 10, narrow shoulders at 6'6. Will he ever carry the weight to be a kpp? If he can't, what is he?

To date, he hasn't done anything he couldn't have done at 6'3. At 6'3, who cares?

I can't tell with Reid though my impression is that he will/can carry weight.
I think we took a 6"4 versions in Cransberg and Bolton.

But in all seriousness you have a good point in terms of KPP. Perhaps in terms of half forward it gets more interesting and potentially damaging if that happens. Half back flank a bit less so but we would still have a point of difference there.

Maybe there's a bit of the old magical thinking in there though. If he COULD have so much upside in so many areas how could none of them work? You would think we would know what a flanker looks like by now - imagine the laughs if both Cox and Francis wind up there and McGrath in the pocket.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Unpopular Opinions: Dons Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back