UP the media!

Remove this Banner Ad

Crawforn

Debutant
Sep 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why is it so blatantly obvious that many media outlets are craving the demise of the hawks by writing absolute bullshit in the hope players will change there style thus starving the team of future success?

They are throwing absolutely everything from baging kicking styles - notably the arc, clusters, ugly football, you name it to try dissorient players, management, team balance etc. Jeff knows this, thats why he sticks it up em week in week out. I have not seen a negative derogatory article about any other team the way hawthorn cops it. Even when players are out and about there is always some inuendo in the report. What's up their blow hole?

Why is it so blatantly obvious that many media outlets are craving the demise of the hawks by writing absolute bullshit in the hope players will change there style thus starving the team of future success?

They are throwing absolutely everything from baging kicking styles - notably the arc, clusters, ugly football, you name it to try dissorient players, management, team balance etc. Jeff knows this, thats why he sticks it up em week in week out. I have not seen a negative derogatory article about any other team the way hawthorn cops it. Even when players are out and about there is always some inuendo in the report. What's up their blow hole?

Shit like that brings the steely resolve to the table, and ensures we stick it up them.

Positivity breeds complacency. I'd rather the negative stuff. Keeps them honest.

great call! but the thing is, in the latest episode (franklin's arc), their solutions would actually improve his results, as he generally is more accurate the more accute the angle is.

This Buddy's arc thing is really starting to annoy me. You watch any game of AFL football when players are having shots at goal from around the 50 metre mark. To gain power on the kick, most players run off the line and then kick across the body. It happens 100s of times each round, and yet Buddy is the only player people talk about. Yes, maybe his approach is more pronounced, but it doesn't detract from the point that many others are doing precisely the same thing. I just wish people would really open their eyes and watch what is going on rather than allow personal biases and agenda to dictate.

For the record, I wish Buddy would straighten himself up as well, but it's Hawthorn's business, nobody else's.

From day 1 when we picked up Buddy other supporters of other teams were angered with jealousy and the media has never stopped picking on him in one way or another..
And when we started to play a brand of football that did not suit the media they jumped all over us calling us thugs and unsociable..
Who really cares tbh, i love the Hawks and nothing any one says or does wont change that....

What's up their blow hole?

I've posted this a number of times in the past. I know of some media people who backed Geelong heavily to win the 2008 GF and took huge losses. One in particular hasn't had a nice word to say about the Hawks since that day.

People go on about footballers not being allowed to punt on the game, but I've always said the media shouldn't either because it clouds their judgement and ability to present a balanced an accurate report.

The thing I cannot understand is, having backed the Cats to win, and the Cats let them down, you'd think they'd be dirtier on the pussies rather than the Hawks.

I don't see the issue with his natural arc when he is on the left side of the ground. He curves further to the left, and therefore closes the goalface that is available, so it's a tighter angle. If they were concerned about him kicking around the man on the mark, let the man on the mark follow him along a horizontal line (allow him to move sideways - which he can already do anyway if he doesn't creep forward i think).

I could understand an issue if he was kicking from the right hand side of the ground and he veers left as that would open up the face of the goals and give him an advantageous angle to work with. In that case, let him start off further to the right (approaching the boundary) so when he does veer to the left during the run up he approaches the same kicking angle as he would have had initially.

Whats next, he's not allowed to take strides that are longer than 1meter when he's running because others can't keep up because he has long legs and an athletic ability?
Or perhaps prevent him from jumping for a mark if the defender is shorter than him as he gets an unfair height advantage?

Does anyone remember that article in the age last year by John Harms, about how hawthorn fans are all rowers who cheer instead of barrack?
And then he goes on about this bloke who used to support Geelong but saw the light and converted to Hawthorn, and how its all so very Hawthorn. That article pissed me off for a week eh.

It's gives me a bit of a chuckle that instead of slamming Buddy for the 50m penalties he gave away, resulting in a goal (which is significant given the game was a draw) they instead target the guy's runup.

In essence they're attacking him for working within the rules (according to the umpire) instead of when he was working outside of the rules.

Does anyone remember that article in the age last year by John Harms, about how hawthorn fans are all rowers who cheer instead of barrack?
And then he goes on about this bloke who used to support Geelong but saw the light and converted to Hawthorn, and how its all so very Hawthorn. That article pissed me off for a week eh.

I remember that one too. Talked up how soft we were, went on about our old Mayblooms name and that Hawks supporters were a bunch of yuppies.

There are those in the media for whatever reasons love it when we are going shitfull like last year and earlier this year.

Bartlett is certainly one of these, he was the one earlier this year that labeled the Hawks 'Duds'. You could tell he was enjoying our lean spell but as soon as we started to win he was not so upbeat and in fact has never really retracted that statement.

He is on the rules committee and was never one to enjoy physical contests as a player, so is it any wonder some rules were quickly changed when it is seen to be somehow advantageous to the Hawks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only reason it is being talked about is because he got a 50 as a result. Most people are incorrectly saying that montagna thought it was play-on, where he actually was trying to put franklin off as best he could without breaking the rules. Simple as that!

Steven J Peak ( i think that's his name ) was rabbiting on about his arc also last night. I can't understand people who suggest he's breaking rule whatever, and become really specific with that interpretation. But you could apply that strict interpretation when talking about ANY player who marginally goes off his line.

Did anyone read that article from warrick green yesterday? When talking about how he should start his run-up further to the right, he says " but is should be enforced on both sides of the ground, because the normal flight path of Franklin's shots is a fade from right to left."
So effectively, he's saying that on the left side of the ground, Franklin is also getting an advantage by going to the left because of his right-left swing??? That just doesn't make sense.

Also, is there anyone who can mathematically work out if franklin is actually getting any real advantage with his style? Given that he's usually 45+ out when he arcs, you would think that a meter or thereabouts wouldn't improve the angle that much.

There are those in the media for whatever reasons love it when we are going shitfull like last year and earlier this year.

Bartlett is certainly one of these, he was the one earlier this year that labeled the Hawks 'Duds'. You could tell he was enjoying our lean spell but as soon as we started to win he was not so upbeat and in fact has never really retracted that statement.

He is on the rules committee and was never one to enjoy physical contests as a player, so is it any wonder some rules were quickly changed when it is seen to be somehow advantageous to the Hawks?
Earlier this year we were duds!
What he said was right, whats your problem?
I remember some posters here wished we lost that close game to Richmond!

In golfing terms a fade is a movement from left to right. Buddys kicks swing maginally from right to left so is that therefore a draw?

Or is the entire thing reversed because he is a left footer?

10 Flags in 50 years.

They are all terified we will get on a 70's-80's type roll again.

But really: "The Media are like farmers. They cultivate Tall Poppies just to harvest them later."

Hawks vs Essendon (2nd time round)
Hawks v Dogs (2nd time)
Hawks v Cats (2nd time)
Hawks v Saints

All games have one thing in common..the next day and days after the media said it was the "best game of the season"

There is one common denominator: Hawks

Take anything the media throw in our stride! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Did they ever make such a deal out of Peter Sumich's arc??

Everyone has an arc!

The problem is that there is so many media outlets that to justify their jobs, they have to come up with some BS story to look like they are doing something.

I mean I read on the herald Sun site today that G.Ablett junior was in the market for a nice bayside home in melb. They are making assumptions that its going to be his home away from the GC or there are other teams in melb looking at his services.

Maybe, just maybe, he has decided to use his money wisely and buy a nice investment.

The media all do a bachelor of arts degree. Bullsh.t artists!!!

Earlier this year we were duds!

Really! so any team that loses two tight contests to arguably the two Benchmark Teams of the year and in the contest with the Roos and Eagles to just lose and have poor games to the Maggies and Bombers is justifiably labeled Duds?

Not to mention the issues we had concerning no back up Rucks, absences to key players (Franklin, Sewell etc)

What he said was right, whats your problem?

So no, what he said was a crock of shit!

TBH I think Jeff has been good and bad for our club. The fact that he was in charge of this State at one time may be a good reason our Club gets the raw end of the stick from certain people, Media included.

I remember some posters here wished we lost that close game to Richmond!

Was not one of them, there was a lot of frustrated people in here around that time.

The only reason it is being talked about is because he got a 50 as a result. Most people are incorrectly saying that montagna thought it was play-on, where he actually was trying to put franklin off as best he could without breaking the rules. Simple as that!

Steven J Peak ( i think that's his name ) was rabbiting on about his arc also last night. I can't understand people who suggest he's breaking rule whatever, and become really specific with that interpretation. But you could apply that strict interpretation when talking about ANY player who marginally goes off his line.

Did anyone read that article from warrick green yesterday? When talking about how he should start his run-up further to the right, he says " but is should be enforced on both sides of the ground, because the normal flight path of Franklin's shots is a fade from right to left."
So effectively, he's saying that on the left side of the ground, Franklin is also getting an advantage by going to the left because of his right-left swing??? That just doesn't make sense.

Also, is there anyone who can mathematically work out if franklin is actually getting any real advantage with his style? Given that he's usually 45+ out when he arcs, you would think that a meter or thereabouts wouldn't improve the angle that much.

The thing is when a player is taking a specific shot at goal the rules change, umpires don't call play on like general play. Players are given more time and more leeway. Unless he is trying to run around the player then he should be able to do whatever he wants.

I've seen players bounce the footy as they go back to take set shots, it's not play on as common sense prevails and no one ever talks about it. Richo for one used to do that.

They can all get stuffed. I think the memories of the dominate 80s are fresh in the minds of the media and they want/hope to prevent it happening again and they all come across as bitter.

I've posted this a number of times in the past. I know of some media people who backed Geelong heavily to win the 2008 GF and took huge losses. One in particular hasn't had a nice word to say about the Hawks since that day.

People go on about footballers not being allowed to punt on the game, but I've always said the media shouldn't either because it clouds their judgement and ability to present a balanced an accurate report.

The thing I cannot understand is, having backed the Cats to win, and the Cats let them down, you'd think they'd be dirtier on the pussies rather than the Hawks.

Wow that makes alot of sense. Sucked in to them for losing their cash... idiots

Remove this Banner Ad

UP the media!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back