Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Looking at things OTHER than Biden in the upcoming elections.:winkv1:

First up is California. Feinstein is looking to go again. WTF? She initialed some paperwork, but no formal announcement. Corporate stooge par excellence, cognitively past it, and very conservative.
Katie Porter has declared for Feinstein's Senate seat. She's gone viral with her intelligent and incisive grilling of corporate witnesses at hearings. Smart, energetic, and progressive. Oops, that last one may give her some problems with the DNCCC. They spend more money fighting progressives than Repubs. Some MSM has already fired shots at her. The View opining she should get permission from Feinstein or other Dem leaders first. There will be more. It will be interesting to see which way MSNBC goes.

Classic match up; powerful and stale vs young and sharp. Porter should clean up if it's done in public debates and speeches. But in the backroom, some Dems will have to show real leadership to buck the entrenched corporate interests in the party, in order for her to win.

I like Porter. She's the type of new blood the government needs. New energy, intelligent enough to make dogmatic decisions, and so far unbeholden to big donors. But this could also be a classic case of the Dems shooting themselves by going back to the swamp.

The POTUS election campaign will dominate this thread I think.

Biden shouldn't run IMHO. But the Dems are painting themselves into a corner. I can't see any other contenders sprouting up. Just the same ones that failed last time to inspire or capture American voters. Harris particularly cannot win a national election. Yet I think the DNCCC has already decided to back her.
They need someone with intelligence and charisma. Someone who can respond to GOP stupidity and lies with strength and wit. And someone who does not pander to dumbass SJW wing of the party. They play to the base, they will lose the national election. The candidate has to be able to show strength of conviction with practical policies to flip the moderates across the country from the culture war nonsense the conservatives will be peddling. I think someone with slightly progressive and populist shading, a no BS approach, and backed strongly by the DNCCC could beat a DeSantis sort of candidate.
If they are up against a more normal moderate Repub, it will be a different ballgame all together.

They appear to be in big trouble unless they can weekend at Bernie's a 400 year old Biden out again.

Let's review the realistic-ish alternatives:

Harris - Such a bad candidate she had to drop out before even Iowa iirc. I agree absolutely 0 chance to win a national election.

Buttigieg - Awful numbers with minority voters which are a huge part of the Dem base, having possibly the worst run as transport secretary in living memory and as a bonus he's gay which will rile up the nutbag god botherers (which the U.S. is absolutely stacked with) to no end and maybe drive up turnout on the margins.

Newsom maybe? - has been making some moves ostensibly in the direction of running recently. Not sure about his nationwide appeal.

AOC - she would be great fun to watch but absolutely no chance nationwide

Bernie - feels like his time has passed. Not as if he's really a 'younger' alternative if Biden has been deemed too old.

I really don't see where they can go from here. Newsom maybe the most likely but none of those options scream 'winner'. Still a long time to go though, someone unexpected might pop up.

Here's a guy I'd like to see more of: Senator John Tester.
I've seen him in interviews over the years, he's pretty no-nonsense. He was elected in very red Montana, doesn't seem to cater to the extreme liberal side of the Dems. I think faced with a culture war candidate from GOP he would grab a bunch of moderate R voters.
But would progressives throw a hissy and split the D vote?
I'd like to see some pragmatic views from a guy like him on some of the more realistic progressive proposals.
I wonder how he is on the speechifying front? Can he inspire a large portion of the voters?

He may be closer to what I used to be as a voter pre-Tea Party/Gingrich onward.

Biden won an anti-Trump run - I dont think the base is energised enough to vote FOR Biden
Totally correct.
The past two elections were very negative. Never Hillary, Never Trump, Biden only because.
I didn't like Hillary because she was NOT entitled to it. I knew she would be competent, but I didn't like the entitlement. Biden I didn't like since his first run, against Obama IIRC. He has never done anything else in his life but public office. For some reason I didn't warm to him taking the next step career-wise.
Trump I'd known about since the old USFL, the stiffing of contractors, and random tabloid stuff that percolated into my local news. I was overseas already when the Apprentice thing happened, never seen it.
Three of the least desired candidates ever for my taste.

Obama wasn't even being talked about in January 2007, was he? The democrat field could be very different too last time's field. There are some governors and senators who could make a realistic bid.

So much comes down to Biden. I hope he doesn't run, and that Trump does.

It will be interesting to see what Sinema does. She went independent in an attempt to thwart a Democrat primary challenger, but didn't go full red and join the Republicans. Which is important for the Dems controlling the Senate committees and freeing up Harris. She appears to have punted on the threat that she'll run in 2024 scaring the Dems into not running against her so that they don't split the left vote.

However, it sounds like some Dem candidates will be running for her seat regardless, and have started submitting paperwork for the primary. In which case, we'll see what she does. Was it a bluff? Will she switch to the Republicans? Will she go for the Senate seat again despite the bridges she's burnt?

It will be interesting to see what Sinema does. She went independent in an attempt to thwart a Democrat primary challenger, but didn't go full red and join the Republicans. Which is important for the Dems controlling the Senate committees and freeing up Harris. She appears to have punted on the threat that she'll run in 2024 scaring the Dems into not running against her so that they don't split the left vote.

However, it sounds like some Dem candidates will be running for her seat regardless, and have started submitting paperwork for the primary. In which case, we'll see what she does. Was it a bluff? Will she switch to the Republicans? Will she go for the Senate seat again despite the bridges she's burnt?
She'll go to where the money is, whether in office or out. She lied to her constituents to get elected. I don't think they will accept her again. Maybe she could do a Tulsi and fully flip to R just before the campaign season.

Obama wasn't even being talked about in January 2007, was he? The democrat field could be very different too last time's field. There are some governors and senators who could make a realistic bid.

So much comes down to Biden. I hope he doesn't run, and that Trump does.
I don't know how or why Obama entered the race. But to me, it was clear he had some backing.

I remember in the year before the election, before the campaigning started, there was news report about this junior congresscritter, making a journey back the his roots or something equally kitsch. It was Obama visiting Africa. Never heard of him before, there was no big conference or humanitarian purpose for the visit. It was just one big photo op and news blurb. So some effin reason, I understood this was an opening move to introduce Obama. Totally engineered and managed for effect: walking down the plane's stairs to the tarmac. It was just so clear to me at the time, and I still remember it. Then the campaign started, Hillary did her thing and he overtook her.
But I just had the sense that he had someone in the background. His kid gloves handling of the Wall Street banking crisis kind of showed he had corporate loyalties. IMO.

But I thought he was an excellent POTUS. Better than Clinton was, who was good as well.

Marianne Williamson seems likely to put her name forward once more

In 2019 she announced her intention to run and dropped out in 2020

Marianne Williamson - Wikipedia

Having a look through that one could be forgiven for dismissing her as some new age hippy who is bouncing from one idea to another

But she has a background in business and charity work - some have called her demanding and controlling - which isnt a bad thing at times

It will be interesting how she reacts to a deeper attack on her 70s/80s time with confessed drug use and multiple partners ( not that it disqualifies her position) from a deeply conservative Republican Party

One way in which she can disarm those Republicans is to repeat her statement

God is definitely out of the closet. I refuse to pretend we don't pray here. One of the reasons the political right-wing in this country has had such an upsurge in popularity is because they have at least acknowledged the idea of God, and the so-called liberals have lost by default. The left-wing is too cool to even mention God, so – Middle America thinks, 'Well, I guess God's in the Republican Party.'[23]

As much as it pains me to say her comment will resonate in a country so reliant on religion - though God is out of the closet might be a nice sound bite.

Some of her policy positions will come under fire

Early intervention and restorative justice for youth offenders, a strong advocate for people with disabilities, free tuition at colleges , supports paid leave for families, gun control and abortion rights and health care

( I support most of her positions - which are similar to most Democrats )

I note in the Biden thread some have said she is a counter to give Biden a contrast to highlight his own position

They appear to be in big trouble unless they can weekend at Bernie's a 400 year old Biden out again.
Biden will run. His ego is too big to give up the job.

I predict he'll lose to DeSantis. However, he has a decent chance of re-election if the Republicans are stupid enough to pick Trump again.

The Dems badly need a clearout of the old fogies to grow as a party, but that's not going to happen while the fogies are backed by big money. Things will probably only change once Schumer and Pelosi die off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite sad to see Biden shuffling along especially climbing stairs. I know older people that would run up them.
There has got to be a better option in 2024.
Yes, and there probably is. The Dem hierarchy are the ones who need to pull their thumbs out. Persuade some of the younger, but sharper members to get involved at the very least. Bring the whole tone of the party up for the pre-primary season. They MUST not settle with the establishment candidate. They need to inspire with energy, not the same old corrupt crap. Kamala is not going to win anything.
I think maybe someone slightly progressive and populist, but with record of practical decision making. AND with some charisma on the stage.

Yes, and there probably is. The Dem hierarchy are the ones who need to pull their thumbs out. Persuade some of the younger, but sharper members to get involved at the very least. Bring the whole tone of the party up for the pre-primary season. They MUST not settle with the establishment candidate. They need to inspire with energy, not the same old corrupt crap. Kamala is not going to win anything.
I think maybe someone slightly progressive and populist, but with record of practical decision making. AND with some charisma on the stage.
Yep totally agree and Harris has been a disappointment and in fact I hope they choose someone else as VP.

He shouldn't. If he runs and wins the election he will be 88 yrs old when he finishes his term. They need someone younger a lot younger.
He shouldn't, but nobody else has the ability to unite the Democratic Party enough. Newsom is probably the only other viable option, and he has the baggage of his restaurant scandal and subsequent recall election.

Cory Brooker seemed like a potential candidate not too long ago but he's been unsighted in the past two years.

Lack of viable candidate is a huge issue. They need a young Bernie and nobody is putting their hand up

Cory Brooker seemed like a potential candidate not too long ago but he's been unsighted in the past two years.

Lack of viable candidate is a huge issue. They need a young Bernie and nobody is putting their hand up
How bad does harris look on the world stage? Talk about a stiff!!

Today is election day in Chicago for Mayor. If no candidate gets 50% + 1 vote, then a runoff between the top two candidates will take place in April. I am supporting Paul Vallas for Mayor. Back in 2002, I voted for him in the Democratic Primary for Governor. He came in second to Rod Blagojevich and that turned out well. :rolleyes:

Paul has run a strong campaign as an anti-crime candidate. He has been described as a moderate Democrat with appeal to Republicans, though not too many of them in Chicago. The election is non-partisan, though all candidates are Democrats. There are nine candidates on the ballot - seven African-Americans, one Hispanic and Paul, the only white candidate. He is expected to finish first and headed to the runoff, possibly against the incumbent Mayor Lori Lightfoot.

Should be an interesting election.

v.png

Last edited:
It doesn't make sense for any serious Dem candidates to put their hands up until Biden has decided whether or not he'll run this year, the way the post-Trump GOP run things with potential candidates already undermining each other has never been the standard way of doing business in the US so it shouldn't be a surprise that the other Democrats haven't gone knives out for one another yet.

Wouldn't be surprised if Gavin Newsom ends up with the nomination.

There's a few young Bernies - Cori Bush, Greg Casar, Ro Khanna, AOC etc. - but the problem is that they're young and nobody takes them seriously. Nobody took Bernie seriously when he was 40 or 50 either but suddenly when he became geriatric it's "hey, this old dude knows what he's talking about".

The other thing is when you're talking about Democratic candidates there's this weird consideration about not being male, white or straight like "Warren's okay but Trump's sexist barrages will tear her apart and middle america won't want a weak president". Contrast this with the GOP and they can literally put up anybody they want without having to worry about shit like that. They've really just got to choose a candidate that will bring left-leaning people to the ballot box to vote and quit worrying about the opinions of people that were never going to vote Democrat anyway.

Today is election day in Chicago for Mayor. If no candidate gets 50% + 1 vote, then a runoff between the top two candidates will take place in April. I am supporting Paul Vallas for Mayor. Back in 2002, I voted for him in the Democratic Primary for Governor. He came in second to Rod Blagojevich and that turned out well. :rolleyes:

Paul has run a strong campaign as an anti-crime candidate. He has been described as a moderate Democrat with appeal to Republicans, though not too many of them in Chicago. The election is non-partisan, though all candidates are Democrats. There are nine candidates on the ballot - seven African-Americans, one Hispanic and Paul, the only white candidate. He is expected to finish first and headed to the runoff, possibly against the incumbent Mayor Lori Lightfoot.

Should be an interesting election.

View attachment 1617451

Vallas came in first place with 33.8% with Brandon Johnson second with 20.3%. Mayor Lightfoot came third with 17.1%. Runoff in April should be close.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Vallas came in first place with 33.8% with Brandon Johnson second with 20.3%. Mayor Lightfoot came third with 17.1%. Runoff in April should be close.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Vallas' career overseeing school departments across the US (in Chicago, Philadelphia, New Orleans and Connecticut) established him as a go-to man for the privatisation of public schools and elevation of charter schools. The Chicago Teachers Union are very much supporting Johnson and very much opposing Vallas.

What's drawing you to Vallas?

Remove this Banner Ad

USA US Dems in 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back