VAFA General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Haydn O'Connor gonski.

Too much interference by the executives when it comes to Selections??????

Stepped down my ass! Knew what was coming from all accounts. As per one of my earlier posts on BF, VAFA umpire numbers dropped by 70- 80 throughout the year, that should be on this bozos CV. really feel for AFLQ

That point means nothing... they still have nowhere near as many as required.

They have the most teams and should have the biggest administration and umpire base to match.
No doubt but the VAFA need to supply more funding to the umpiring department to attract and keep more numbers.

Stepped down my ass! Knew what was coming from all accounts. As per one of my earlier posts on BF, VAFA umpire numbers dropped by 70- 80 throughout the year, that should be on this bozos CV. really feel for AFLQ
Talks cheap champ.. numbers grew over his time, number previous included HQ staff and probs people pets .. actual running umpires number lifted. Cheap shots from over the fence is something umps are always facing and this includes comments like yours. Add to this that the competition has grown every year since 2017 with the comp growing and the amount of money being invested into umpiring not growing accordingly it makes the job hard.

Talks cheap champ.. numbers grew over his time, number previous included HQ staff and probs people pets .. actual running umpires number lifted. Cheap shots from over the fence is something umps are always facing and this includes comments like yours. Add to this that the competition has grown every year since 2017 with the comp growing and the amount of money being invested into umpiring not growing accordingly it makes the job hard.

I have a very good understanding who he is and a number of young and very decorated umpires that he has disrespected over past 2 years so more than happy to have a beer with you and tell you actual facts.

I have a very good understanding who he is and a number of young and very decorated umpires that he has disrespected over past 2 years so more than happy to have a beer with you and tell you actual facts.
Really ... If I had time to waste in my life id take you up on said offer... are you an umpire yourself ?

Really ... If I had time to waste in my life is take you up on said offer... are you an umpire yourself ?

Nope, just friend of one young fella who had his confidence shattered by him and coaching staff, oh well, if you dont want to hear the truth, looks like I will save my money on the shout then. continue the fight Army man, you must be his bestie in sticking up for him.

Nope, just friend of one young fella who had his confidence shattered by him and coaching staff, oh well, if you dont want to hear the truth, looks like I will save my money on the shout then. continue the fight Army man, you must be his bestie in sticking up for him.

You are one lost and confused man adhoc. I love how people like you come online and take pot shots on a topic you clearly have very little idea on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are one lost and confused man adhoc. I love how people like you come online and take pot shots on a topic you clearly have very little idea on.
No Goughy, not trolling and clearly 100% correct with facts more than happy to sit down and have a beer to chat about. He was out of his depth with no experience in administration. Which has come to fruition now. I know you are an A grade umpire and cleanly close with him, but there are 2 sides to this story.

No Goughy, not trolling and clearly 100% correct with facts more than happy to sit down and have a beer to chat about. He was out of his depth with no experience in administration. Which has come to fruition now. I know you are an A grade umpire and cleanly close with him, but there are 2 sides to this story.

Why keep them to yourself? Lay them out.

Has become an increasingly tough job. HQ need to focus and spend on this part of the comp otherwise good men like Haydn will be lost moving forward. Was a great umpire, shame he has moved back on.

Has become an increasingly tough job. HQ need to focus and spend on this part of the comp otherwise good men like Haydn will be lost moving forward. Was a great umpire, shame he has moved back on.

Last time I had a gander at the VAFA Annual Report the allocation to the umps was by far the largest proportion of the revenue. I think in excess of 60%. There's no shortage of funding in my view Hipp.

Last time I had a gander at the VAFA Annual Report the allocation to the umps was by far the largest proportion of the revenue. I think in excess of 60%. There's no shortage of funding in my view Hipp.
When the amount of umps needed goes up via the league's growth also comes the cost of more coaches more infrastructure more resources. the volume of investment now is clearly not enough to run it properly. The VAFA need to invest to a proper level. The bigger issue is the VAFA need to grow its total revenue. Having people do things for almost nothing is not going to cut it.

When the amount of umps needed goes up via the league's growth also comes the cost of more coaches more infrastructure more resources. the volume of investment now is clearly not enough to run it properly. The VAFA need to invest to a proper level. The bigger issue is the VAFA need to grow its total revenue. Having people do things for almost nothing is not going to cut it.
Think you'll find most clubs believe affiliation fees are high enough - thank you very much. When you consider the lower clubs rarely - some never - get a full roster of umpires for those fees they have grounds for being a tad miffed. The VAFA will need to find other sources of revenue and when you consider how competitive it is to grab a portion of the sporting dollar I wouldn't be all that optimistic.

Think you'll find most clubs believe affiliation fees are high enough - thank you very much. When you consider the lower clubs rarely - some never - get a full roster of umpires for those fees they have grounds for being a tad miffed. The VAFA will need to find other sources of revenue and when you consider how competitive it is to grab a portion of the sporting dollar I wouldn't be all that optimistic.
Where does the money go? Many other leagues charge less but are able to provide umpires to all games including reserves and 19s.

I agree re clubs subs. But the money they have for umpiring doesn't come close to what is truly required. So until that is solved we will continue to have a problem of not enough ability to recruit umps and the comp will suffer

Where does the money go? Many other leagues charge less but are able to provide umpires to all games including reserves and 19s.
To proved umps to the amount off footy the VAFA have is a greater number of total umps than any other comp add to that the travel factor and I'm sure recruitment of umps is just as a battle as it is for clubs to land players. Issue I see the umps in the VAFA have atm is that goal umps are paid (from what I understand) the same as boundary umps, now as a young kid of 15yr old and you could earn $80 to bust your gut running 15km or earn the same money waving some flags .. what would you do ?? Add also to that point that at 15 Mum or Dad needs to be willing to drive you all across Melbourne to do so. When a kid could earn almost the same money running boundary at other comps and all be within their local area I'm sure you can see the problems HQ have in recruiting boundary and goal umps.. literally over night 3 years ago the VAFA decided to double the size of the comp and then as of 2018 they made (almost all) those games on the Saturday and most around around the same time of day... if the VAFA and clubs want more umps they are going to have to figure out a way to fund it.

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back