A Section VAFA Premier 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers WH. A very good summation. Perhaps a sense of panic set in and we did tend to bomb it in and get stuck in that pocket a fair bit. However no excuse for the finishing which was deplorable. As per my previous post % suggest Trinity better over the course of the year and they deserved to stay up. They do need better depth and some new faces as the vets (while fantastic players) will be a year older. They are well coached and are a resilient club so hope they do well.

One thing we don’t lack is support and they turned out in droves on Saturday. I said a while back that it won’t be long before Premier is all APS and Melbourne Uni clubs. With 2 of either Scotch, Caulfield or Blacks to come up that time is getting closer. The ‘outriders’ this year (DLS, Bernie’s and OT) all finished in the bottom half. Two survive but for how long? Bagman already has Bernies pegged for B grade in 2021 and I don’t much like Trinity’s chances next year either.
I think your right on Premier A in the near future and as I've said for awhile it's becoming like the EPL . The Uni sides might suffer a bit in the future with the massive influx of overseas students.

I think your right on Premier A in the near future and as I've said for awhile it's becoming like the EPL . The Uni sides might suffer a bit in the future with the massive influx of overseas students.

APS schools are already suffering with OS students from South East Asia / China. Be it the Boarding House or regular day students.
A lot of these male students have no interest in Aussie rules football. Not to mention those APS schools who are co ed.When enrollments are 50/50,
it cuts the boys numbers way back (Wes Coll as an example) Then factor the boys who dont play footy... the numbers playing Aus Rules are going backwards.

Cheers WH. A very good summation. Perhaps a sense of panic set in and we did tend to bomb it in and get stuck in that pocket a fair bit. However no excuse for the finishing which was deplorable. As per my previous post % suggest Trinity better over the course of the year and they deserved to stay up. They do need better depth and some new faces as the vets (while fantastic players) will be a year older. They are well coached and are a resilient club so hope they do well.

One thing we don’t lack is support and they turned out in droves on Saturday. I said a while back that it won’t be long before Premier is all APS and Melbourne Uni clubs. With 2 of either Scotch, Caulfield or Blacks to come up that time is getting closer. The ‘outriders’ this year (DLS, Bernie’s and OT) all finished in the bottom half. Two survive but for how long? Bagman already has Bernies pegged for B grade in 2021 and I don’t much like Trinity’s chances next year either.

JJ, I can take you back to the early "60"s when some of the Banks and maybe an Insurance Company had teams in A grade..
How the landscape has changed.

APS schools are already suffering with OS students from South East Asia / China. Be it the Boarding House or regular day students.
A lot of these male students have no interest in Aussie rules football. Not to mention those APS schools who are co ed.When enrollments are 50/50,
it cuts the boys numbers way back (Wes Coll as an example) Then factor the boys who dont play footy... the numbers playing Aus Rules are going backwards.

I’m not suggesting that this is due to school or uni student numbers. It has more to do with networks that generate employment opportunities etc. Of course this has to be complemented by sheer bloody hard work but the 'elite' schools and Uni's have 'elite' contacts to tap into. Look at how many top end non-Old Xavierians are playing for the Old Xavierians at the moment Obviously they have been a powerhouse for years but the landscape has changed. Not sure they would be playing a 2nd semi without Holmes, Bewick, Hams, Kelly etc. It has become an arms race and not many have the capacity, or even the will, to take part.

I’m not suggesting that this is due to school or uni student numbers. It has more to do with networks that generate employment opportunities etc. Of course this has to be complemented by sheer bloody hard work but the 'elite' schools and Uni's have 'elite' contacts to tap into. Look at how many top end non-Old Xavierians are playing for the Old Xavierians at the moment Obviously they have been a powerhouse for years but the landscape has changed. Not sure they would be playing a 2nd semi without Holmes, Bewick, Hams, Kelly etc. It has become an arms race and not many have the capacity, or even the will, to take part.
So what is the solution ?

Same in C

Seems odd. So for both Prem A & C, they disadvantage/inconvenience (whatever you want to call it), two clubs in each section that now have seniors/reserves across two days, just to convenience one team in each section? Why not just have Semi Final 1 for seniors/reserves on the same day and likewise for Semi Final 2? Or does that make too much sense for the VAFA hence they've decided to mix it up?

As for finding your level, it's an interesting proposition: do you want to battle away for survival in the highest level you can, each year just trying to stay up, or is going back and having winning seasons (more wins than losses) and injecting some real fun back into it preferred? No right answer, matter of opinion I guess.

It becomes an unwinnable "arms race" when Gill hands over jobs in the AFL to his beloved Uni Blues. Whats 5 or 6 new employees on staff when you
already 1300???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems odd. So for both Prem A & C, they disadvantage/inconvenience (whatever you want to call it), two clubs in each section that now have seniors/reserves across two days, just to convenience one team in each section? Why not just have Semi Final 1 for seniors/reserves on the same day and likewise for Semi Final 2? Or does that make too much sense for the VAFA hence they've decided to mix it up?

As for finding your level, it's an interesting proposition: do you want to battle away for survival in the highest level you can, each year just trying to stay up, or is going back and having winning seasons (more wins than losses) and injecting some real fun back into it preferred? No right answer, matter of opinion I guess.
It’s in all three premier grades this year.

$15 to get in , so what's the difference to last week , are they charging more for hire , doubt it.

Exactly, $30 if I want to go watch the seniors and reserves of my club at a ground that a VAFA club has played at all year with free entry.

At least give supporters of a club spread across two days a pass that grants access to both days for just $15. Now that would make sense.

Exactly, $30 if I want to go watch the seniors and reserves of my club at a ground that a VAFA club has played at all year with free entry.

At least give supporters of a club spread across two days a pass that grants access to both days for just $15. Now that would make sense.
Exactly , we have one family with a player on both days.

Clearly this is a discussion for the C grade thread but the vafa got c grade totally right in terms of scheduling. Willy finished top in both so both second semis are on the Saturday. Not sure how this can be argued

Clearly this is a discussion for the C grade thread but the vafa got c grade totally right in terms of scheduling. Willy finished top in both so both second semis are on the Saturday. Not sure how this can be argued
Not argueing at all , that's fair as Willy deserved it , it's about people having to pay both days . Also wanted to know why its $15 this week after $10 last week.

Last edited:

I think what you are saying is partly true. However I think the perennial A Grade clubs have an off field organisation and budget that most B Grade or lower clubs don't have. My club has spent 1 season in A Grade in the last 30 years and hopefully we earn another shot next season, but while we obviously want to retain our current list and build more talent in, the key growth area for us is off field. It takes people and $ (time is $) to maximise the "past students" network. I think the off field arms race is what is creating the greatest divide.

NOTE: I am not suggesting $ = paying players. But the top VAFA clubs do have full or part time paid employees.

I take your point. However in terms of the days that Semi Final 1 and 2 take place for Seniors, isn't there the principle that 1v2 goes first on the Saturday to give an extra day's rest to the loser of this game who finished higher than 3v4? If so, aren't the reserves also entitled to get that benefit?

Hence my argument that they just keep it simple and have all Semi Final 1 games on the same day, regardless of which teams are playing in it, and all semi final 2's games also on same day for both seniors & reserves.

I take your point. However in terms of the days that Semi Final 1 and 2 take place for Seniors, isn't there the principle that 1v2 goes first on the Saturday to give an extra day's rest to the loser of this game who finished higher than 3v4? If so, aren't the reserves also entitled to get that benefit?

Hence my argument that they just keep it simple and have all Semi Final 1 games on the same day, regardless of which teams are playing in it, and all semi final 2's games also on same day for both seniors & reserves.

Couldn't agree more.

Whilst we are in the Saturday/Sunday issue (we are very happy to be playing finals), why do we have to pay double.

Yet last week in Division 2, the seniors 2nd semi and reserves first semi were both the same matchups, do you really think playing them on separate days would have made sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back