Vale Shane Warne

Remove this Banner Ad

Devastating news.

My childhood hero.

A larger than life figure, and a true genius. What a terrible loss for the game.

Thoughts are with his family, who must be absolutely gutted right now.

I found out just before I went to bed last night and when I woke up it all felt like a dream when I woke up. Feels completely surreal.

Just woke up to my partner telling me the news. Genuine tears this morning and I'm far, far from prone to grieving Celebrity deaths.

I remember when I was 5 living in Melbourne only the final session of the boxing day test was broadcast live so my brother came screaming down the hallway to tell us of this hattrick he just listened to on the radio. Being 5 and basically new to all sport I was curious to see if I could see this thing happen again. That was the first of many Test matches I ever watched thanks to the achievement of this man. It started a love of the game that has been such a central part of my life.

A larger than life figure, such a dominant presence of a generation of Australians. Even if you hated cricket, you knew and couldn't escape Warnie which made him such a cultural icon.

R.I.P. Warney. The greatest Leg spinner to ever live.

As an under 13 cricketer I remember going into Myer's (dont ask me why he was there) to get Shane's autograph on a GM bat that I still have today.
Shane didnt just sign the bat and push me to the side to sign the next, he talked to me for 2 or 3 mins asking me cricket questions, this was at the peak of his powers, returning from his first ashes tour. The autograph was great but I will always cherish him taking the time to interact with me as a kid even more.

Terrible few years for my cricketing heroes, losing Deano and now Warnie both way too soon.

Bowled Shane. RIP mate. Thanks for the memories. :cry:

Was only last week on a YouTube binge that I was watching his best wickets. And I'm not a huge cricket fan.

Never been a bowler that had you thinking every ball he bowled could be a wicket.

On a level with Jordan, Maradona, Gretzski where they just transcended their sport

'Yes Shane', 'Bowled Warnie'

Vale.

Controversial at times but without doubt the best bowler I have seen. 708 Test wickets, ICC Hall of Famer and one of Wisden's five Cricketers of the Century. To have your name up there with Bradman, Hobbs, Sobers and Richards says more than bit about your ability. The words 'great' and 'legend' are over used in the sporting world but in Shane Warne's case he was a legend.

Warnie was also developing into a decent commentator and I will miss his commentary on FOX.

Vale Shane Warne.

I feel like I spent all summer bagging out his commentary, yet here I am utterly distraught that I will never get to hear it again.
This is how I feel, precisely.

Will never hear another masterclass, never see another over, never hear him work over a batter or talk about spin bowling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guy was on the front of a mens health mag 12 months ago, legit looked in the best shape of his life..

Around 50 years of age is meant to be one of the most dangerous periods for men dropping dead from heart attacks. I've personally known 2 in the past half a dozen years, one was 51 and the other 53.

One was walking on the beach and the other working around the house, non smokers and very light social drinkers.

Last edited:
Gone away with the family for a long weekend and wake up to this .

Absolutely in shock.
Was your flawed genuis in every sense , a champion/legend of the game.
He always seemed to be a kid who never really grew up. Fun loving and a little bit loose , but he had time for everyone no matter who you were.

Above everything though a father to 3 kids who have lost their Dad .

Thoughts are with them and his family.

Terrible news to wake up to. Grew up in the Warne era and like every kid of that time he was my cricket idol. I dont think there has been anyone as entertaining to watch in the game where anything could happen every ball. Lucky enough to be there for 700. RIP

Around 50 years of age is o be of the most dangerous periods for men dropping dead from heart attacks. I've personally known 2 in the past half a dozen years, one was 51 and the other 53.

One was walking on the beach and the other working around the house, non smokers and very light social drinkers.
Greg Jericho put it well when he said it's been a rough day for Gen Xers, first we lost a childhood hero then we lost one of our own.

Wow just woke up, and flicked on the tv, tried to work out why they were showing Warnie when Rod Marsh had died.
😕😕😕
I had to read the Herald Sun headline multiple time 'Shane Warne Dies' because I was thinking Rod Marsh and Warnie must be talking about it. Then it clicked '**** Shane Warnes dead' :'(

Remove this Banner Ad

Vale Shane Warne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back