Cars & Transportation Vent about all things traffic

Remove this Banner Ad

Would've thought (and it sucks this is even a consideration) that women would find it more comfortable parking near other cars, rather than having to walk alone through a dark carpark.

When commuting to Melbourne via the train, parking at the station was shit so most often it was parking on a surrounding street

Not ideal but in summer it was daylight when getting back in the evening, but I'd never be home before dark in winter - so as a woman you start to think of those things:
  • where am I parking
  • what's the safest way to walk to my car
  • is there street lighting
  • and approaching the car, can I see around it before I get there or is it blocked...

Even worse if going to the footy after work & not back until after midnight when it's even more isolated

And it's similar with my current job - where I park for a day shift isn't where I park if I have a late finish in winter, as it's walking across the carpark on your own at night. And it's worse when there's then only one or two other cars around compared with a much larger number

When commuting to Melbourne via the train, parking at the station was shit so most often it was parking on a surrounding street

Not ideal but in summer it was daylight when getting back in the evening, but I'd never be home before dark in winter - so as a woman you start to think of those things:
  • where am I parking
  • what's the safest way to walk to my car
  • is there street lighting
  • and approaching the car, can I see around it before I get there or is it blocked...

Even worse if going to the footy after work & not back until after midnight when it's even more isolated

And it's similar with my current job - where I park for a day shift isn't where I park if I have a late finish in winter, as it's walking across the carpark on your own at night. And it's worse when there's then only one or two other cars around compared with a much larger number
It is really, really sad that this is the primary consideration for women parking and commuting (or walking, or living) but alas, it has to be the reality.

ABSOLUTELY not a defence of this but i spoke to someone who did this one day (recent migrant as a matter of fact) who said they found using a car as a guide opposed to the lines alot easier.

Its still annoying to me but the explanation actually made sense.

100% that is why people do it. I always park afar and walk instead of getting the close carpark and having to give way to everyone coming into the carpark to be able to get out. There will be 20 free carparks in the area and someone will still park right next to me. I find it funny I've got a beaten up 97 Ford which I am just driving until it dies and nice cars will still sidle up next to me. When I was a kid no way would my parents park next to my car haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back