Cars & Transportation Vent about all things traffic

Remove this Banner Ad

Again for me traffic control just passed three utes and truck with five traffic controllers holding up traffic for one bloke on a tractor cutting the nature strip grass

If i had a ute i think i'd start picking up traffic signs that are left out on the weekend when no-one is working.

If i had a ute i think i'd start picking up traffic signs that are left out on the weekend when no-one is working.

LoL good luck with that ...
They leave out for weeks and weeks .

One day I was heading down the beach.
Stop and go park on the opposite side of the road .
Walk right in front of me pointing at their high visibility tops.

How about park on the side of the road ya signs are on...numpty s.

I'm not sure what's going on here. We need a diagram.

Picture someone doing a right turn then they kick out further then turn ...

Like a hook turn at less than 25%.
Maybe 7.5%.

Prob still not enough info.

How can you kick out further right if you are already in the right lane?

25% or 7.5% of what?

Do you mean the back of their car swings out into the left lane?

At lights of a 3 lane highway yesterday. light go green, a driver of a dual cab ute in fromt of me decided not to move beause he saw a mate on the median strip, mate was clearly wearing the same garments from the night before. ute driver sticks head out of window beconing mate. I provide a short sharp press of the horn, no movement. cars are passing in the left lane now. dishelleved mate stumbles across the median and right lane and into the ute. i had overtaken by that stage.

wondering if the roles were reversed, utey guy would probably have given me a serve.

Theres a 4 lane main road near my house that has a VERY stock standard 4 way intersection (it does also have a freeway on ramp in closish proximity to it).

This road has an 80kmh speed limit.

Now in the nearly 4 years ive lived here, never had any issues with it at all, it couldnt be more stock standard 4 way intersection with traffic lights if you tried.

In the last 3 months, 6 accidents, 2 of them quite serious with multiple cars and injuries, one had the whole road down to 1 lane for about 5 hours and completely ****ED traffic in every direction (a trip to my sons daycare for pick up took an hour round when its usually 15 minutes at most).

I truly dont understand what on Earth is going on with this intersection.

How can you kick out further right if you are already in the right lane?

25% or 7.5% of what?

I'm hoping they mean drivers who swing left when turning right or doing a u-turn

Occasionally also see it with drivers swinging right when turning left, but not as much as those who swing back into the driving lane to turn right

Theres a 4 lane main road near my house that has a VERY stock standard 4 way intersection (it does also have a freeway on ramp in closish proximity to it).

Now in the nearly 4 years ive lived here, never had any issues with it at all, it couldnt be more stock standard 4 way intersection with traffic lights if you tried.

In the last 3 months, 6 accidents, 2 of them quite serious with multiple cars and injuries, one had the whole road down to 1 lane for about 5 hours and completely ****ED traffic in every direction (a trip to my sons daycare for pick up took an hour round when its usually 15 minutes at most).

i dont think its the intersection i think its the driving is getting worse

Picture someone doing a right turn then they kick out further then turn ...

Like a hook turn at less than 25%.
Maybe 7.5%.

Prob still not enough info.
You mean they swing left before turning right yeah?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hoping they mean drivers who swing left when turning right or doing a u-turn

Occasionally also see it with drivers swinging right when turning left, but not as much as those who swing back into the driving lane to turn right

Sometimes a U-turn can be a bit tight. But you shouldn't be flicking out to the left. If you need to, stay on the left side of the right lane then bang it on full lock.

Flicking left before a right turn is just stupid, primarily you might hit another vehicle. But it doesn't make sense in terms of vehicle dynamics. In theory the larger the radius of a corner the faster you can go round it - so you are making the corner slightly wider. But for maximum grip you want to keep the weight of the car on all four wheels. By flicking left then right you are shifting the balance of the car that way too - so you effectively only have grip on the outside tyres. You are more likely to skid and lose control.

My guess is that people have been playing rally car video games where the fastest way round a snow covered corner is the Scandi Flick, which is like a drifting technique.

Sometimes a U-turn can be a bit tight. But you shouldn't be flicking out to the left. If you need to, stay on the left side of the right lane then bang it on full lock.

Flicking left before a right turn is just stupid, primarily you might hit another vehicle. But it doesn't make sense in terms of vehicle dynamics. In theory the larger the radius of a corner the faster you can go round it - so you are making the corner slightly wider. But for maximum grip you want to keep the weight of the car on all four wheels. By flicking left then right you are shifting the balance of the car that way too - so you effectively only have grip on the outside tyres. You are more likely to skid and lose control.

My guess is that people have been playing rally car video games where the fastest way round a snow covered corner is the Scandi Flick, which is like a drifting technique.

If you were on a racetrack heading towards a right hand hairpin, you'd go as far to the left as you could before entering the turn, because you wouldn't scrub off as much speed going around the wider radius.
There is a double hairpin on the Phillip island Cart track, and after completing the right, you move to the right to get maximum speed through the left.

But that's not the reason they do it on roads, entering driveways, u-turns etc is not that. ( usually at very low speeds) The reason they do it on roads is because the driver is a w***er.
Its always happened. I remember my driving instructor when i was 18 saying, "watch out , this one looks like a swinger ".

I know that my added drawing to the following isn't necessarily the neatest, but I believe this is what Rocker is talking about

This is an intersection in a Geelong suburb and while my lines may be a slight exaggeration with the size of the swing, I'd say a good 75% of vehicles either turning or doing a u-turn at this intersection do swing to their left and I genuinely question driving in the 2nd straight ahead lane (the one that says Bellarine Hwy) when cars are turning

A couple of months back I had a car doing a u-turn that swiped my drivers side mirror such was how much they swung - and I was actually stationary behind the line because we had the red straight ahead light, so that tells you how early she started swinging

Another example from that same intersection & again me in that 2nd straight ahead line but this time with the green light to go with the green arrow - it was at night & I had to hit my brakes & horn, because the car swung that far left that their rear passenger lights were dead in front of me in my drivers seat and I promise I hadn't swung to the right at all to go straight

I also kid you not, it tends to be the tiny cars that swing the widest

1725853252681.png

I also kid you not, it tends to be the tiny cars that swing the widest

View attachment 2105751
This is truth, 10000000%.

I reckon i must say "youre driving a ****ing toy car" at fellow drivers 10 times a day, same when theres a gap to get into a slip lane/go around someone and the bloke in a smart car refuses to go because the gaps only JUST wide enough to fit a cruise liner.

Driving along a two-lane, 70km/h road and some clown pulls out of a side street with absolutely not enough time or space, forcing me to brake relatively hard down to 30km/h. While I'm shaking my head at how inconsiderate he was, without having got up to speed, he cuts across to the inside lane, forcing a car coming past me to also brake from 70 to 30 in pretty short time.

Interesting as I’ve noticed the same near home in Melbourne, main road intersection that seems to be having regular accidents.

Friend had her car written off and her mum in hospital for weeks after getting cleaned up by someone running a red light.

Also come home a couple of times to find a traffic light missing or on the ground…

But on the swinging wide discussion, at this intersection includes 2 right turn lanes and for whatever reason, 90% of people in the right lane cannot complete the turn properly and cross into the left lane as they enter the other road…

Driving along a two-lane, 70km/h road and some clown pulls out of a side street with absolutely not enough time or space, forcing me to brake relatively hard down to 30km/h. While I'm shaking my head at how inconsiderate he was, without having got up to speed, he cuts across to the inside lane, forcing a car coming past me to also brake from 70 to 30 in pretty short time.

One of the things that shits me, sounds like a shit driver but people not taking into consideration the speed of the road they are entering when pulling out.

At school time I know I can get out easier as cars should be doing 40 and often slower due to parked cars. But other times I give way to anyone coming down the hill as who knows what speed they’ll be doing!!!

Interesting as I’ve noticed the same near home in Melbourne, main road intersection that seems to be having regular accidents.

Friend had her car written off and her mum in hospital for weeks after getting cleaned up by someone running a red light.

Also come home a couple of times to find a traffic light missing or on the ground…

But on the swinging wide discussion, at this intersection includes 2 right turn lanes and for whatever reason, 90% of people in the right lane cannot complete the turn properly and cross into the left lane as they enter the other road…

There's another intersection a bit further along from the image I posted above and until a decade or so ago, the side road turning onto the main road was 2 lanes with 1 lane for left turn & straight ahead, the other purely a right turn lane - the number of cars that would take the turn wide & into the left lane on the main road was crazy but totally legal as per the road rules & line markings

That changed about a decade ago with both lanes now being right turn lanes, that was due to the volume of traffic turning from it & onto the main road and how far back the traffic would bank up - with the left of the 2 lanes is still a left turn & straight ahead lane

A decade on still see close calls with cars turning from the right lane but taking it wide and wanting to drive straight into the left lane on the main road - would think people would have learned after this length of time that there's 2 turning lanes, but some are so oblivious

Last edited:
Hardly ever drive it but the western ring road or metro ring road coming back from the airport. Had a massive ute inches behind me despite being in the left lane and the fact the speed limit changed from 100 to 80 nearly every 500 metres.

**** tailgaters (you want to speed, move to the right hand lane) and **** everyone that designed that piece of shit freeway that forever has construction works on it and no doubt speed cameras for entrapment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cars & Transportation Vent about all things traffic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back