VFL VFL pre-season 2025 (list changes, updates)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashwin to bullants.

So thats 4 leaving so far. Interesting to see who we get in, I have heard of some kids invited down to trial

Get more Chances there.

Didn't really do a Lot for me that got me Excited

Surely we can get a half decent VFL team in 2025 and actually give the kids a chance forward of center and teammates who know how to kick
with the AFL list being quite old, I am not sure it helps the VFL program. Senior players may rest, rather than play in the VFL. Maybe Otten can turn them around but they will be starting with a very new bunch of players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We keep losing experience doesn't help. If pre-season starts at the same time as the afl preseason, I'll go down and keep an eye out who is still sticking around.

Considering we finished 20th, maybe getting rid of most of the VFL players is a good thing.

I watched about 3/4 of the games and every time i was shocked at how terrible the skills were, in particular the inability to hit simple 30 meter kicks.

It's not great for kid development when they bust their gut to run to space and their teammate kicks a helicopter to their direct opponent.

Considering we finished 20th, maybe getting rid of most of the VFL players is a good thing.

I watched about 3/4 of the games and every time i was shocked at how terrible the skills were, in particular the inability to hit simple 30 meter kicks.

It's not great for kid development when they bust their gut to run to space and their teammate kicks a helicopter to their direct opponent.
Could always play Houston in the 2’s

You can't really plan for the VFL list to bail you out in terms of winning games for you, because if they're TOO good, they'll get taken in the mid-season draft.

Last year we had a massive injury list and two retirements during the season, one of whom came after the PSD and was therefore not replaced, so the VFL team was under the pump in terms of availabilities for a lot of the year.

Everyone focuses on injuries to senior guys, but we had a lot of injuries to untried reserves players last year too - DeMattia, Steene, Ryan, Eyre, Long all missed significant time.

We keep losing experience doesn't help. If pre-season starts at the same time as the afl preseason, I'll go down and keep an eye out who is still sticking around.
We may actually bring in some experience if guys like Membrey, Tomlinson etc come down.

Personally, I like the thought of refreshing the VFL list.

VFL rules make it pretty hard for a mature list like Pies to attract and retain second tier talent.

7 U22 have to play each game (including 23rd man rule).
Since we would struggle with Pies players U22 to fill that rule (do we even have 7 U22?), it's more likely we play more in this space than other teams.

As a fair number of our AFL listed players who would play VFL are over 22, it reduces the prospect of mature players getting games every week unless the AFL has injuries.
With the VFL siding needing to fill more of the U22 players to satisfy the rule at the expense of a mature player.

Contrast this with a club where the majority of U22 will come from the AFL and those clubs will attract more of the better VFL players because they are more likely to get a game due to the U22 requirements been filled by the AFL list.

Since we would struggle with Pies players U22 to fill that rule (do we even have 7 U22?)
That's a ridiculously wrong guess - This past season we had 15.

Now, one of those is Nick Daicos, who is never going to play VFL footy in his career, more than likely. There were a few of them that played some AFL footy this year, but rarely many of them at the same time (Reef, Fin, Harrison, Long, Allan, Jiath, Parker, Dean).

Eyre and Begg have been delisted, and Dean will age out of that range by this year, but we'll likely draft 3-5 young kids this off-season and increase those numbers.

That's a ridiculously wrong guess - This past season we had 15.

Now, one of those is Nick Daicos, who is never going to play VFL footy in his career, more than likely. There were a few of them that played some AFL footy this year, but rarely many of them at the same time (Reef, Fin, Harrison, Long, Allan, Jiath, Parker, Dean).

Eyre and Begg have been delisted, and Dean will age out of that range by this year, but we'll likely draft 3-5 young kids this off-season and increase those numbers.
Padding some numbers and timeframes to suite your stance.
But each to their own.

Dean had already aged out and wasn't eligible this year.
Smit & Parker were not on the list at the start of the year.
Long was listed as a VFL player, so doesn't really count as AFL listed youth does it?

We actually only had 10 at the start of the year (excl. Nick).

With HDM & Eyre going down before the season started and others playing AFL (or injured, Begg, Steene), we very quickly dropped below the 6 required (plus 23rd man).

Argument is not about youth....its about the age demographic of the AFL listed players playing VFL.
The more over 22's that play VFL, the less likely you are to attract the higher quality VFL players due to lack of spots and opportunities.

Excluding Nick and Harvey.....we sit at 7 at the moment.
Back to 10 if we take 3 in the draft.....same as last year.

Or even up to 12 if we go with the "5" you suggested (and ignore AFL rules around list sizes) :)

Excluding Nick and Harvey.....we sit at 7 at the moment.
Back to 10 if we take 3 in the draft.....same as last year.

Or even up to 12 if we go with the "5" you suggested (and ignore AFL rules around list sizes) :)
Okay, some fair points around ages - I was under the impression that it was "22 and under", but they do have to be under 22 on Jan 1 of that season, so all 2002 birthdays are off the list for next year.

I will take issue with your point about Long not being on the list at the start of the year, because he was on the VFL list and still counted towards the quota at the time, and will be under 22 on Jan 1, so will count towards the quota next year too. And he's AFL listed now.

As for the "up to 5", that's based on the fact that we could still delist more, with Reef and Dean (who wouldn't count towards the total next year) still without contracts. They still could be delisted and replaced with under 22 year olds, so 5 is the maximum possibility.

And obviously, there will be some VFL listed players in the age range without it being an enormous stretch and detriment to the quality of the VFL list. Every side has a few.

We should be recruiting harder for the VFL list on quality CTL players who miss being drafted - Now that we've had multiple players being selected from our VFL program, it should seem like an appealing pathway for them to have another crack at getting drafted, and recruiting players who are under 22 and actually good for the VFL list will make this issue that you're claiming is a significant pressure completely insignificant.

We should be recruiting harder for the VFL list on quality CTL players who miss being drafted - Now that we've had multiple players being selected from our VFL program, it should seem like an appealing pathway for them to have another crack at getting drafted, and recruiting players who are under 22 and actually good for the VFL list will make this issue that you're claiming is a significant pressure completely insignificant.

Might not be so easy to find under 22 players who are good VFL players and not on an AFL list?

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL pre-season 2025 (list changes, updates)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back