2nds VFL Round 5 - Sandringham v Geelong, Trevor Barker Beach Oval, 2:00PM Sunday 1 May

Remove this Banner Ad

My thoughts on the first three quarters:

On the result, the slow start was the difference. We could hardly get hands on it in the first quarter and every time they went forward they seemed to score. From the second quarter, our intensity lifted significantly and it was more a 50:50 proposition. Leaving Raphael Clarke unmarked at half back was infuriating as was our continued insistence in kicking it to him.

I didn't have a record so could only really pick the recognisable players. Off the top of my head they were:

Brown - an AFL class player, no doubt. Forget about the comments on his size, he is capable of playing 3rd tall now and would contribute more than Mooney as 2nd tall. Beautiful mover, reads it well, nice kick and sticky hands. Kicked 3 in the 2nd quarter and I think finished with 5.

Vardy - spent most time forward and relief rucked for Blake. He is a great size, lovely leap, good hands and nice kick. He should get AFL games in 2011 on today's performance. He is a more likely prospect than West in my view. Seems to be a more natural player.

Christensen - another who looked a class above the level although he found the going tougher without the bigger AFL bodies around him. I love his hardness, his clean skills and his decision making. Looks every bit a 200 gamer.

Guthrie - hardly sighted in the first half but he came alive in the third quarter kicking two goals, one from a hanger in the goalsquare. At this level he seems mature beyond his years and when he is able to bring that to AFL level we will have a great, composed, neat midfielder.

Motlop - he was quiet but showed some good signs. Would have liked to see him more front and square when Brown and Vardy were flying for marks.

Hunt - a pretty typical Hunt game - some good and some bad. He repelled quite a lot of Sandy forward thrusts and made some good spoils. However didn't use his kicking as well as he should have and I heard that he had quite a few goals kicked on him early (although I couldn't tell who he was marking). Would not promote him on that performance.

Gillies - a bit disappointing. Doesn't seem to do a lot with the ball and his man can get the better of him. My doubts weren't eased at all today.

Blake - standard Blake game.

[FONT=&quot]Sandringham 18.14-122[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Goal Kickers:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] R. Gamble 6, M. Lourey 4, D. Polo 2, A. Siposs 2, N. Heyne 2, C. Irving , R. Stanley
Best Players: R. Clarke, D. Gallagher, R. Stanley, J. Magner, R. Gamble, T. Lynch [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Geelong 13.13-91[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Goal Kickers:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] M. Brown 5, C. Guthrie 2, N. Vardy 2, J. Schroder , A. McLean , B. Raidme , A. Christensen
Best Players: A. Christensen, J. Simpkin, M. Corrigan, J. Hunt, A. McLean, C. Guthrie [/FONT]

Thanks for that CE. I left at ½ time as the little one had had enough so your comments are way more informed than mine. However, here are a few observations.

The first quarter was a blitz and there wasn’t much to be positive about. Sandy were much better organised; more assured with their ball handling; ran in support of each other well and hit targets.

We appeared disorganised, often kicked to two on one contests and when we did get the ball forward the delivery was haphazard and didn’t give our forwards much of a chance.

The second quarter was much better. We were first in; had numbers around the fall of the ball; spread well and went longer.

As for the players, Mitch Brown showed he has what it takes to make it at the elite level. He reads the game extremely well; knows where to run and is clean by hand and foot. When you consider he was doubled teamed for much of the time it makes his second quarter effort look even better.

Just why Amos allowed Raph Clarke to run around the back half unchecked gathering lots of cheap possessions intrigued me.

It’s the first time I’d seen Vardy and while I agree he is mobile I thought he would be quicker than he showed today in general play. He is capable of a stepping it up as he showed when went after an opponent in front of the social club. He doesn’t read the game all that well and his ruck work isn’t up to the elite level yet. That said, he has ability with his marking being his main asset and given time will be a player.

There’s a lot to like about Christensen. While he wasn’t a standout he oozes class and the goal he slotted from the half forward flank was a ripper.

I’m sorry I missed Guthrie’s second half as both he and Motlop didn’t show much in the first half.

Bathie has a way to go but he showed some glimpses today and may turn out to be a find in time.

I fear Gillies isn’t up to it and if Troy thinks he’s a chance for the senior list in 2012, I think he’s dreamin.

It was disappointing to see Ego back on crutches again. That navicular has been operated on how many times now?

Thanks for that CE. I left at ½ time as the little one had had enough so your comments are way more informed than mine. However, here are a few observations.

Ha! That's why I only saw three quarters!

It’s the first time I’d seen Vardy and while I agree he is mobile I thought he would be quicker than he showed today in general play. He is capable of a stepping it up as he showed when went after an opponent in front of the social club. He doesn’t read the game all that well and his ruck work isn’t up to the elite level yet. That said, he has ability with his marking being his main asset and given time will be a player.

Interesting. I was struck by how mobile and how good his ruck work was - both better than I expected. But his second half (or 3rd quarter at least) was more impressive.

Some good comments there, have to concur with most of it. Enjoyable day really. Brown is a rare talent. Just seems way ahead of what other guys are thinking at vfl level and has the leg speed to carry him there, and a great kick. By finals could be someone who changes what we do up forward to a degree and make us very unpredictable with Menzel and Duncan. And we need to be less predictable up forward this season. Not sure who you leave out mind you, and be interesting to see how Brown handles the big time with his frame. Vardy will make it. Maybe not quite as quickly as we all want this season but can easily debut this year. Guthrie really impressed in the second half, and has gears, good signs when he gets more consistent with his best work. Motlop needs the run, needs to build up his fitness but just does some exquisite things at times. Christensen is a gun personally. Really liked his game, just needs to watch guys catching him trying to run off him because he gets so involved in the play himself I think he gets a bit blind-sided to the defensive side. Only young of course and has great potential. I thought Schroder (spelling?) doesnt get noticed much but works hard, and isnt far away from finding his feet and becoming a better player. Walker and Bathie need some work, but they move well, read the play ok, and good size. Hopefully Gillies steps it up too.

Shame Cowan didnt play, would have made a difference. Looking forward to when Weston and Johnson return with Horlin Smith and Smedts. When you look at those guys out of the side it was a solid effort today given the poor start.

Ha! That's why I only saw three quarters!

Interesting. I was struck by how mobile and how good his ruck work was - both better than I expected. But his second half (or 3rd quarter at least) was more impressive.

Agree. And when he gets a run at a mark very hard to stop. Upper body strength will come with time, but he does cover the ground well.

I was at the game today and saw something that concerned me greatly.

Twice, I repeat twice I saw North coach Brad Scott waltzing unnoticed through the Geelong huddles at the short breaks. He was listening in to the coaches, chatting with the players, getting all sorts of insights into our club for next week's match. I thought for a professional club we would be more on top of this kind of spying.

Well, at least I think it was him. Looked a lot like him...:eek::eek:

:D

i like it :thumbsu:

Twice, I repeat twice I saw North coach Brad Scott waltzing unnoticed through the Geelong huddles at the short breaks. He was listening in to the coaches, chatting with the players, getting all sorts of insights into our club for next week's match. I thought for a professional club we would be more on top of this kind of spying.

Are you sure it was Brad Scott...Chris was there today!

Very good!

Chris Scott said:
You want to try that again.
117293-chris-scott.jpg
:thumbsu:

Sounds like Wells has drafted really well

Just a pity we don't have any key position defenders ready to come through

I thought that Gillies was supposed to be better than Laidler?? Doesn't seem so given the start to this season

Thanks for all the reports guys. I am not surprised to see Christensen cutting up in the magoos - he seems a real prospect. And it is exciting to see that Mitch backed up his last effort with another bag, will be very interesting to see when he gets the call-up in the seniors. You would think his chance will come at some point this year, though probably not in a big game.

Made the trek down the highway to get my 'Cat's Fix' for the weekend and to cast my eyes over the younger brigade.

A few observations:
1. The Sandringham ground is very very small and with the drizzle made the game a close inside scrap.
2. Our skills were very poor particularly from the back half. Turn overs cost us badly
3. Troy Selwood is really battling and we needed him to stand up in those conditions
4. Our backline was continually under the pump as the VFL onballers were not pushing back to help out. I have noticed this in all VFL games I have seen thus far and is a major concern. The listed players are getting back but the top up players are not.
5. How we let Clarke free to roam around and clog up space on our forward line with no opponent is beyond me.
6. Motlop is struggling at the moment. Maybe the small Torquay & Sandy grounds don't suit his style.
7. Brown is a beauty. His ability to find space when closely manned and on the small ground was pure class. The delivery to him and the other forwards was poor which made his performance even better. I think he is playing very smart football to protect his shoulder. He is not going for many overhead marks atm. I saw him against Nth Ballarat prior to his latest mishap and he was going for everything and marking everything. The VFL record had him at 90kgs which I think is correct as the Geelong website hasn't updated that section since last year. He certainly looked stronger yesterday.
8. Vardy might be one of those frustrating players that looks to have everything but may be inconsistent. Time will tell. Certainly has a great leap and nearly took mark of the year yesterday.
9. Gillies did ok under huge pressure and with limited support from the onballers pushing back. The ball was down there all day it seemed.
10. Guthrie is a very solid and consistent footballer. He is versatile and can play at both ends. He was terrific after half time and was instrumental in us booting 5 quick goals at the end of the 3rd quarter. He will be a great player for us for many years. I really like him.

Peake and Raph Clarke got plenty of it for them, should see them re-called to St Kilda, which is unlucky for the Saints because they're both disgustingly bad footballers. :p[/quote]

Ha! Always been staggered at the amount of opportunites that the Clarke's have gotten. Why wouldn't you get some games into a kid instead of going around in circles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i concur about Motlop struggling. to me he seemed disinterested.

in the 3rd quarter he did a nice piece of magic, when up against 3 Sandy players, where (from memory) he spilled the mark, re-gathered the ball, executed a deft 2 metre handball in front of himself, re-gathered the pill & booted it.

otherwise his endeavour seemed lacklustre.

i was surprised that Gillies appears to have no spring in his leap when the ball comes in overhead. outpointed too often in the air on sunday.

Good day at Sandy, windy and cold but didn't rain until late. We got jumped at the start and were 7 goals down at 1/4. We actually really controlled the 2nd and 3rd but didn't put it on the scoreboard enough and were coming from too far back. Got to within 13 points in the last and had a shot to make it 7, which we missed, before they kicked a couple to secure the win. In the context of fielding a very weak side it was a good effort today. I assume guys were just rested because all of Cowan, Burbury, West etc were at the huddles and looked fine. GHS was walking around with Lappin and had no slings or anything on his shoudler and was moving it fine so good signs. As SJ mentioned, Poodle was past us and had no brace and not a noticeable limp so that's good news for a quick return. Joel came and sat near us in the grandstand and didn't seem to mind the attention. Chappy was also there with a lady, and Duncs was hanging out with the younger boys. Whether any of the young guys being rested was simply rotational or whether it was because 1 or 2 were being considered for a senior debut in 6 days time I don't know, we'll soon find out. We looked very good in the forward line, had no trouble kicking goals and would have kicked a bag if more numbers had got to Brown and Vardy's feet the crumb. The defence leaked like a sieve when we turned it over or didn't win the midfield which is not surprising given it is a weaker defence than last year and especially with so few listed players today there wasn't a lot of run on the spread to press and help the defence. They tried, but just were exposed in that area.

Player review
1. Mitch Brown-super game from him. Took a number of lovely marks and kicked 5 goals. Mitch is just a pure forward, knows where to go and anticipates where the ball will fall better than anyone else which is why he got space on the lead a lot. Has a good leap, not as a big a leap as Vardy, but he does leap which makes it really hard for the defender to punch it. Really good shot for goal too. A couple of times he got physically battered in contests and I was worried for him but the body stood up well. Not sure whether he's ready yet but he's certainly making the MC think long and hard about him.

8. Josh Hunt-ok game from him. How you rate his game I suppose depends on what you think he needs to do to get recalled, if you think he simply needs to be interested at this level and work hard, then you'd probably recall him, but if you think he needs to show good form then you wouldn't recall him based on today. Played back a lot and took some good marks to help out the under seige defence (also played mid at times). Had one great passage of play where he put a ripping tackle on Raph Clarke but when you look in context, Josh was on the wing near the boundary, went to ground without taking the ball over the line, left it on the inside, and it was only because Raph is Dorothy taking an age to decide whether to go to Kansas or not that he was able to get up off the ground and make amends, any half decent player would have punished the going to ground, and he did go to ground a bit yesterday, which based on the Syd game, will leave Scott none too pleased. Kicked a nice boundary line goal but his kicking generally into the forwards wasn't his best today. Certainly was showing good leadership out there today, but wasn't in our top 5 (no matter what the club website listed) and didn't scream "pick me".

15.Jordan Schroder-wasn't sighted a lot but did a lot of things that go unnoticed like tackles and blocks, and I liked what I saw. Very hard at it.

24. Mark Blake- Was good in the ruck (remember no Simpson or West to help this week) and while I have criticised Blake in the past for not being hard enough, he was hard at it today, tackling and even put one block on a bloke. Certainly good effort. That said today showed why he won't play a senior game unless Ottens is injured because Archer and Stanley got him when they ran forward a lot and he couldn't keep up, and a number of times we got pinned in our d50 because when we kicked it long to the wings Blake either couldn't get there quick enough to make a contest, or when he did couldn't mark it. And every single one of his kicks was a floating helicopter to the advantage of Sandy blokes. In short his effort was great but his around the ground skills aren't improving which is why the other ruckmen are all ahead of him to partner Otto.

25.Tom Gillies-very disappointed today. I try not to pot kids too much, but as I said to SJ, he was a third year player among a sea of greener kids, and yet a lot of them were better than him today. Just to be clear, I wasn't annoyed because Gamble and others kicked goals on him, because when your defence is weak, which ours is, and when the mids don't get back a lot to help, even a half decent fullback will get a bag kicked on him. For me what was disappointing was he did the simple stuff that you can control, badly. Dropped chest marks (one in the 4th which they kicked a goal from to kill the game), fumbled the ball, several times stood the mark and let the bloked play on to the inside and run past him, stuff like that, and no involvement in our ball movement. Needs to find more intensity. While he's not at the delist stage and we should keep working with him, we MUST MUST MUST draft another key defender this year in case he doesn't come on.

28.Allen Christensen-was very good, got involved in the packs against some bigger blokes, kicked one lovely class goal and really tried to take the game on and create. Definitely ready for seniors.

29. Cameron Guthrie-great game from Cam. Really had a massive impact in the third quarter with this massive specky and goal and then another goal on the siren. Other than that played mostly in defence and reads the play well, so took some lovely marks, and does not miss by foot. Is another who could legitimately play seniors if he had to and acquit himself well.

32.Steve Motlop-largely unsighted in the first half, but in the third came alive and helped us turn it. The standout play was this lovely mark inside 50 floating like a graceful bird which he had no right to take. Then hits the ground running, tries to take on the tackler, gets caught, steps around him, bursts and puts it in the square for a Guthrie speckie. That one passage showed me he's AFL level talent, but he needs to show that involvement regularly for 4 quarters before he will be picked. I was talking to a lady behind me who knows the family and she said he's really been struggling at the start of year with being very critical of his own form and lacking any confidence, which is a sign that he's missed a lot of footy and is coming from a fair way back. It might be a while before he plays seniors until he can find that confidence and consistency.

36.Nathan Vardy-really good, along with Brown. Took some great marks, has a lovely leap, and is noticeably much bigger in the upper body so can really compete in pack situations. Covered a lot of ground to mark up the ground, and helped turn the game when he went into the ruck in the 3rd quarter. In some ways I see him more likely to play sooner than Brown because the body's more ready and Nathan's value in the dual roles really fits what the senior side needs at the moment.

41. Jesse Stringer-Quiet, which was not unexpected given he's missed so much footy. Like his tackling and burrowing though, there isn't much of Jesse but he tried hard today.

42. Josh Walker-didn't notice him much, not sure how much gametime he had. Took a couple of nice marks but generally fairly unsighted.

46. Jonathan Simpkin-had a ripping first half but faded a bit late. Really let from the front in terms of attacking the packs and extracting the ball and you can see he's older than the rest because he doesn't hesitate with his decision making. Tracking well.

47. Ryan Bathie-first time I've seen him play, and quite pleased. Despite what other posters mentioned, his spoiling was mostly ok. His deficiencies are more on the technical side e.g. a lot of times he didn't have body contact on the opponent, he was able to make up for it a lot with his closing speed because he's very quick for 198cm, but you can see in that that he hasn't played footy for years and has a lot to learn. Also things like flew up to punch a bit and let his opponent get over the back, and when we had a 2 on 1 didn't wrap his opponent up in a wrestle to allow teammate to mark, which is of course what a regular footballer would know to do. But he showed some good signs, most pleased me in that he was really hard at it, put some really good hip and shoulders on blokes, including this beauty that doubled over Dorothy Clarke, and really tackled hard. Like I said, I liked his intensity and he's clearly committed to making a go of it. His kicking is technically ok but kicked it long without putting it to advantage side, again needs to learn. I liked a moment in the last quarter in d50 where he had a tackler running at him with another 5m behind but he took first contact, sidestepped and handballed inbetween the two blokes onto Guthrie's chest for him to run away. Really good sign that. Certainly wasn't in our bests and is a llloooonnnggggg way off AFL footy, but is ahead of where I expected him to be right now.

Briefly on the VFL guys, we played a lot more top ups than normal so a lot I didn't know. Bunno Selwood made a few errors and I doubt will ever be AFL standard again but what I liked was every time he stuffed up he ferreted in the pack and got smashed to fix up his error-is a good leader for the boys as to attitude and commitment. McLean quitened Vegas when moved onto him before going forward in the 2nd half-quite good. Young Tom Maas, there's not much of him but he's a goer, and Firmo was good as usual before he seemed to go off injured.

Good report P_O - you weren't the one wearing a puffer jacket and glasses by any chance?!! I appeared to be standing in a similar area in the third quarter and was wondering whether there were any "Bigfooty types" around!

I think that most of us that were at the game pretty much came away with similar impressions. Primarily that Brown, if he can build up his upper body, should be our answer to a key forward position. And that Vardy has got the makings of a terrific modern day multi functional ruckman.

I thought that both Guthrie and Christensen were the classiest of our midfielders out there. Infact they really stood out to me as being a cut above the rest in terms of their decision making and footskills. Guthrie looks to have added a bit more size to his legs as well - I reckon another pre-season or two and he will be a lovely utility type.

All in all it was a great day down there despite the result. Nice to watch footy like I did as a kid.

Player review

1. Mitch Brown
8. Josh Hunt
15.Jordan Schroder
24. Mark Blake
25.Tom Gillies
28.Allen Christensen
29. Cameron Guthrie
32.Steve Motlop
36.Nathan Vardy
41. Jesse Stringer
42. Josh Walker
46. Jonathan Simpkin
47. Ryan Bathie

Thanks for the report PO. It's good for those of us over the horizon to be to be able to read such posts and gain a little insight into the young players we have.

Your comments on Motlop sheds some light on the perception by previous posters that he seemed 'disinterested' - lets hope he gets that confidence and belief back in his ability.

Stringer is an interesting one for me - if I understand it correctly, he's been around a while now, but has been cruelled by injury. Where do you see him being at in the scheme of things?

I would imagine if Browns shoulder is still recovering that he wont make a seniors appearance till mid season.
No sense rushing him in when we are at 5-0, especially when he will most likely become a very valuable player for us.

Is there a Mitch Brown Bandwagon/Society/Appreciation group?

If so, how do I go about joining?

Just keep pumping him up and membership automatically follows.

By years end we'll have the Podsyites looking at us with numerical envy.:D

P.O,

Agree with much of what you wrote. Not sure where the "windy and cold but didn't rain until late" bit came from. Just a zephyr of wind in the first half and I could have sworn there was some wet stuff falling from the sky. Maybe you were in the stand and didn't cop any or see umbrellas up all over the place.:p:D

As I said earlier I had to leave at half time cos the little one had had enough but before then Guthrie had done very little.

Someone suggested Motlop looked disinterested. I didn't get that impression. I just thought he didn't handle the bigger bodies of the Sandy team very well.

Vardy was physically stronger than I thought, is strong overhead and has a bit of mongrel in him. He'd been talked up as having plenty of toe. I was disappointed in that aspect of his game. Although he did show he can step it up when he was chasing down a Sandy player near the Social Club.

As I mentioned earlier I think Bathie showed enough to indicate he could turn out to be a steal down the track.

I'll say this for Blakey, he gave 100%. Maybe he was hoping some of the Saints match committee were watching.;)

I was disappointed Cowan didn't play as I was looking forward to seeing him perform.

The concern is the dearth of key backman. Gillies isn't up to it IMO and there doesn't appear any other stand out key position backmen coming through.

And as for Mitch Brown, well...........

Some thoughts on players from attending the game:

Brown: Any time you see a forward with 5 goals to their name, it's an impressive match. But watching the game I was struggling to find the reason why he was so impressive. I think he just managed to take his opportunities, and is very quick to read the ball which meant he was able to find enough space away from his opponent to snare a mark.

Christensen: Our best player for the match IMO, was consistent across the four quarters, did a lot of good in and under work around the stoppages. Probably lacked support from others.

Guthrie: Thought his second half was better than anything any other of our players dished up. Really liked the "intangible" qualities he brought to the match, stuff like composure, courage, inspiration, leadership, (see: Players like Hird and Bartel) , rather than more of the "tangible" type things that players usually get judged on, such as kicking skills, athleticism, ability to rack up possessions, etc.

Vardy: Didn't think he had much effect in the forward line, but liked the way he goes about his rucking. Is a fine athletic/physical specimen, and would be perfect to support Ottens/Pods if Hawkins isn't playing.

Some pretty good reports above. My 2 cents are as follows.
1: Guthrie for me was most impressive. Reminds me abiy of J Bartel in early years. Took a body on body mark right in front of me on the wing which was super impressive.
2: Vardy, kid has serious talent but needs to stop bitching about cramp. He was off every 5 minutes. Would totally blow up in the 1s.
3: Brown is going to be pretty special if he keeps this up. I cant remember seeing a better 1 on 1 key forward for Geelong (other than Ablett). My mine is ready now to play 1s. Will be very suited to the bigger AFL grounds.
4: Stringer is a string bean and wont make it. Has a good attitude though.
5: Bathie likes the physical contest which i like. Could actually make it, just not this year. Is abit of a unit also. Has a pretty nice kick on him. No way has he not played before with that kicking action.
6: Like others, i doubt Gillies will make it. He use to have a love of the physical cost. He seems to have lost all agression.
7: Simpkon didnt impress me. Goes in hard, has abit of pace, but his use of the ball was pretty average. Conditions didnt suit him.
8: Motlop was very average. I have a feeling he is a Travis Varcoe clone and would be much suited to the space offered on AFL grounds. I was impressed with his tackling. His shoulder looks A ok.
9: Blake dislocated his finger quiet badly in the 4th. I really like the way he is handling himself and is giving his all for the VFL team and for that I respect him. Hope he gets a few games this year.
10: Jordan S: Has a nice kick on him and is a solid unit. Looks a little heavy right now so needs a few preseasons.
11: From what i saw of Josh Walker he may struggle a little. Was played at CHB and did ok, but nothing really stood out about him.
12: Troy Selwood is finished as an AFL footballer. He is slow slow slow.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds VFL Round 5 - Sandringham v Geelong, Trevor Barker Beach Oval, 2:00PM Sunday 1 May

Remove this Banner Ad

Back