2nds VFL Round 9 - Collingwood vs Bendigo at Victoria Park @1pm on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

About Yags he is the youngest player on our list he was not even 18 yet when we got him,I see him as an outstanding prospect he has been in the system for less than 9 months and there are people already writing him off how long was Leon given until he came good.

These days no one come,s into the system and dominates straight off it does not happen I think Yagmoor should be given at least 2 seasons before anybody writes him off,he is a great prospect and I think in the years ahead there are a few who will be surprised by him.

Agree, showed enough in the NAB cup to whet the appetite.

He's soft Matty.

Look at any under 18 players that comes in soft, that only ever gets better slightly.

Its a pretty big whack to call a player 'soft'!

Whilst I dont agree at all with this premise having seen him play u18 a fair bit I can distinctly remember similar posts about Pendlebury, Reid and Wellingham, around their 'lack of courage' only for them to prove it wrong.

I'm wondering if Collingwood has organised a practice match for this weekend, because I know Geelong have organised one for Friday out at Windy Hill, I'm guessing against Bendigo.

THE VFL competition is a ****ing joke, this will be the third of 5 byes, YEP 5 BYES, our VFL team will have this season.

We need a national reserves comp, or at least a 10 team Victorian based AFL reserves competition.

About Yags he is the youngest player on our list he was not even 18 yet when we got him,I see him as an outstanding prospect he has been in the system for less than 9 months and there are people already writing him off how long was Leon given until he came good.

These days no one come,s into the system and dominates straight off it does not happen I think Yagmoor should be given at least 2 seasons before anybody writes him off,he is a great prospect and I think in the years ahead there are a few who will be surprised by him.
The list of players being written off early in their careers is a long one.
Here are a few recent examples
Ben Johnson
Dane Swan
Leigh Brown
Ben Reid

A few highlights from Mitch Hahn's VFL comments:

[Might suggest Elliott is pretty close now]

25. Tom Young (26 disposals, 5 marks): Played well in the midfield. Showed strong run and carry.
35. Jamie Elliott (14 disposals, 5 marks, 2 goals): Has shown over the last couple of weeks that he wants to be given an opportunity at AFL level. Played in the middle and as a forward. He is doing everything right. His performances on game days have raised eyebrows.
40. Paul Seedsman (2 disposals): Unlucky after he was injured early in the game with a hard tackle. He was rested after the tackle. Should be right next week.
43. Trent Stubbs (12 disposals, 6 marks): Steadily improved over the last three weeks.

44. Corey Gault (15 disposals, 2 marks): Happy with how he is progressing in his leading patterns. Had a tough job with Tayte Pears playing on him.

48. Caolan Mooney (11 disposals, 4 marks): Good effort. Progressing well. Used his leg speed. Rick Ladson played on him. Great learning experience.

I'm wondering if Collingwood has organised a practice match for this weekend, because I know Geelong have organised one for Friday out at Windy Hill, I'm guessing against Bendigo.

THE VFL competition is a ****ing joke, this will be the third of 5 byes, YEP 5 BYES, our VFL team will have this season.

We need a national reserves comp, or at least a 10 team Victorian based AFL reserves competition.

They should have organised a practice match with Woodville-West Torrens - they have a bye in the SANFL this weekend. Would have given the 'Pies supporters over in Adelaide a real treat with the double header and a rare chance to see our young lads play live.

Would have also given the young lads a taste of what it's like to travel and play interstate. Good team bonding exercise too.

A few highlights from Mitch Hahn's VFL comments:

[Might suggest Elliott is pretty close now]

25. Tom Young (26 disposals, 5 marks): Played well in the midfield. Showed strong run and carry.
35. Jamie Elliott (14 disposals, 5 marks, 2 goals): Has shown over the last couple of weeks that he wants to be given an opportunity at AFL level. Played in the middle and as a forward. He is doing everything right. His performances on game days have raised eyebrows.
40. Paul Seedsman (2 disposals): Unlucky after he was injured early in the game with a hard tackle. He was rested after the tackle. Should be right next week.
43. Trent Stubbs (12 disposals, 6 marks): Steadily improved over the last three weeks.

44. Corey Gault (15 disposals, 2 marks): Happy with how he is progressing in his leading patterns. Had a tough job with Tayte Pears playing on him.

48. Caolan Mooney (11 disposals, 4 marks): Good effort. Progressing well. Used his leg speed. Rick Ladson played on him. Great learning experience.

Sounds like elliot is very very close, and great to hear how well mooney is going.. his gonna be something in 2 years

Mooney is nuts. We need to make sure in the very least that he gets a run in the GF sprint this year! But yes, super excited about his future.

Stubbs stepping up could be really handy for us, a consistent run of good games and we might get to see why we were initially prepared to senior list him.

Elliott is going to be a player.

Gault is also exciting but not likely for this year.

Yeah, didn't mean to suggest that all those players were in line for AFL games this year, but just that they are promising comments.

Question for VFL watchers:

Is Stubbs capable of playing AFL this year?

Right now, from over here in China, it looks like Elliott and Williams are the most likely debutants left.

Anyone else that could realistically add to the squad depth this year?

Yeah, didn't mean to suggest that all those players were in line for AFL games this year, but just that they are promising comments.

Question for VFL watchers:

Is Stubbs capable of playing AFL this year?

Right now, from over here in China, it looks like Elliott and Williams are the most likely debutants left.

Anyone else that could realistically add to the squad depth this year?

I wouldn't count Stubbs out and rookies need to have the carrot dangled, but he would be up against it for a senior look in this year. I would expect that he would need until beyond the mid-season break - the all-important run home - to build a solid enough case for elevation.

By that stage the club would be aiming to settle the squad with returning senior players, so the timing might be out of place for Stubbs.

He has been good though, even if his numbers dropped this week, which was really only noticeable due to setting a pretty high standard on raw figures in previous weeks. 25 touches and 2 goals against Port for example, those are impressive numbers.

Numbers might have been down, but he continued to do all the small things. Has been committed and even courageous this year, looks good for another year on the rookie list if he keeps it up, has something to work with.

You're right with Elliott and Williams, they're pretty much the last most likely sorts to debut. Williams would be leading the race for an elevation, can't see any other players making their debut outside of these two, unless Farmer or Stubbs go ballistic over the next month.

I'm with TRS on Gault as well, really look forward to seeing what he can produce in a year or two. He looks like the most likely to give us a more desirable balance with that ruck/forward role if he comes on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with TRS on Gault as well, really look forward to seeing what he can produce in a year or two. He looks like the most likely to give us a more desirable balance with that ruck/forward role if he comes on.

That's what I 1st said when we drafted Gault that he could play the Leroy Role in a Few Seasons

Thanks, 10th.
Yeah, long-term we now have several more promising tall options developing in Witts, Ceglar, Gault and Hartley, with patience required, of course.
Perhaps Stubbs and Farmer's goals should be to keep growing into their bodies, string some games together and demonstrate enough consistency to stay on for another pre-season.
I will be back in Australia for some time mid-winter so hoping to see at least a couple of VFL games live then.
A couple of more questions for you [or anyone]:
Williams sounds like he has a bit of 'mongrel' in him and Elliott from all reports is a keen tackler that may be a spark for the seniors, although I'm really pleased with how numbers 6, 21 and 28 have added forward pressure of late. Do you think either Williams or Elliott could add anything much that's lacking?
Not down on Sinclair at all, but he may need a rest at some point and Elliott looks to be a natural competitor for that spot.

And one more for you 10th, or others.

Gun to your head, for this finals series [and next]:

Sinclair, Elliott or Ugle?

I'll understand if you think it's too hard to call - just curious.

2012 finals series;

1. Sinclair
2. Ugle
3. Elliott

2013 final series;

1. Elliott
2. Sinclair
3. Ugle

Things can change quickly though, but Elliott will be the best of the three long term for sure.

2012 finals series;

1. Sinclair
2. Ugle
3. Elliott

2013 final series;

1. Elliott
2. Sinclair
3. Ugle

Things can change quickly though, but Elliott will be the best of the three long term for sure.

Why don't you rate Ugle Matty?

Why don't you rate Ugle Matty?
It's not so much that I don't rate him, I just think the other two are either better than him now, or will be better than him in the future.

Sinclair is clearly a better option than Ugle at the moment, while Elliott has immense talent and could be anything really.

It doesn't mean long term all 3 might be in the same senior side though.

It's not so much that I don't rate him, I just think the other two are either better than him now, or will be better than him in the future.

Sinclair is clearly a better option than Ugle at the moment, while Elliott has immense talent and could be anything really.

It doesn't mean long term all 3 might be in the same senior side though.

Thanks, Matty. I think you mean they could all play in the same side, yeah? If so, do you see them all as potential AFL mid-fielders?

I haven't seen any of 35 yet. Ugle's skills look OK, but is he more than a forward? [Can he get enough of the ball?] Sinclair seems to be on track, much to many people's surprise, I guess.

Thanks, Matty. I think you mean they could all play in the same side, yeah? If so, do you see them all as potential AFL mid-fielders?

I haven't seen any of 35 yet. Ugle's skills look OK, but is he more than a forward? [Can he get enough of the ball?] Sinclair seems to be on track, much to many people's surprise, I guess.

Interesting you bring up their ability to play midfield as it's probably the reason I rated Ugle lower then the other two.

I can quite easily see Sinclair moving into the midfield, maybe even as a tagger long term, while Elliott has that much natural talent that he could easily become a Didak/Davis outside type midfielder.

I just can't see Ugle playing as a mid in the AFL, it might be his size, or his ability to win the ball, but there's just something that screams "permanent forward pocket" about him.

Yeah, exactly, Matty. Maybe high half forward and closer to the goal are about all, I think. I know he's still young, and some who've seen more of him might know better, but has he ever had a high-disposal game for us playing further up the ground?

And, yeah, the size. eg. Blair is 174/81; Ugle is 172/73. [Although he is two years younger].

I'm with Marty here. Of the young small forwards Elliot has a huge edge in class, clearly AFL talent its just a matter of time. Big chance to debut this year (he is a 19yo so body more mature than a 1st year draftee).
I think its a trap to assume these guys all end up in midfield. Elliot hardly played midfield underage. Ugle played wing before drafted but doesn't look like a mid to me.
That's not a criticism a good small forward is gold!
I still reckon the big smokey is Mooney. My gut says he won't be ready this year but he is improving so rapidly I won't be suprised. Has the biggest upside if all, freak.

I'm with Marty here. Of the young small forwards Elliot has a huge edge in class, clearly AFL talent its just a matter of time. Big chance to debut this year (he is a 19yo so body more mature than a 1st year draftee).
I think its a trap to assume these guys all end up in midfield. Elliot hardly played midfield underage. Ugle played wing before drafted but doesn't look like a mid to me.
That's not a criticism a good small forward is gold!
I still reckon the big smokey is Mooney. My gut says he won't be ready this year but he is improving so rapidly I won't be suprised. Has the biggest upside if all, freak.

A classy forward who's been likened to Medders overhead, and known for tackling/forward pressure? Yes, please. :cool:

Couple of more questions [sue me, I'm curious :D]:
Has there been any knock on him as a junior?
Is he a good kick on both sides?

Look forward to seeing him myself soon.

Suprised noone has thought mooney is a chance to play this year, bucks did mention him and williams as potential upgrades if they keep good form. Mooney will be special, i claimed him as my boy in the preseason :). I think his a very good chance to play this year, his SUPER pace makes him an asset even if he doesnt get much of the ball, if his coached well he could provide the greatest forward 50 pressure the game has seen, he also has shown in the vfl he can kick goals too, and get involved in the play. So excited.... i can already picture myself in 4 years time, sitting in the MCC level 2, sitting back watching mooney carve up essendon defenders on anzac day mmmmm....

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds VFL Round 9 - Collingwood vs Bendigo at Victoria Park @1pm on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back