Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bullshit the vic clubs don't get more marquee timeslots.

The bottom 4 clubs are all non victorian. No big surprise.

View attachment 1729365
6 games in how many years..wtf afl 🥴
Carlton have had 38 primetime games in the same amount of time yet attracted on average 15% less an audience..
How do the AFL even work this shite out.

Last edited:
There was a clear direction from the AFL in the late 80s, 90s and early 2000s to rationalise, merge and relocate Victorian clubs.
And what happens when you merge clubs? You lose paying fan base. It's not hard, good thing those mergers didn't happen then.
Even up until 2007 (there's that year again) the AFL were trying to push North Melbourne to the Gold Coast.
And North members vehemently voted against it.

The AFL played a dirty hand in SA.
Probably yes and probably driven by market factors
Now that's history, and we now have a national competition.
No we don't, this is definitely not a national competition, it is an expanded vfl competition. Like it or not, you and I both don't
Maybe the ends justifys then means,
It doesn't, none the less it's one of those life ain't fair scenarios.

Did you not even read your own article?

There are exceptions, notably in the corporate-friendly cities of Perth and Sydney.
The Eagles take in many millions in corporate funding in resource-rich Western Australia, despite rarely receiving national television exposure.
In the nation's financial hub of Sydney, even the ironically named Giants have found sponsorship dollars relatively easy to come by, out-earning several more widely-watched and supported teams.
Does not help the players.
With salary cap and coaching money cap, extra cash does not help that much if the club gets it.

I don't see them getting personal deals with mining companies.

How about Adelaide and Brisbane teams?

24 years of Docklands/Marvel stadium and only 2 premierships from the tenants, Essendon2000 and Bulldogs2016. And one was in the first year when that list had already been established. 5 wooden spoons to Carlton and 1 to Essendon & Bulldogs can’t remember North and Saints at least 1? Genuine Vic bias???

Does not help the players.
With salary cap and coaching money cap, extra cash does not help that much if the club gets it.
LoL, so now you are saying $$ arent important?

Make your mind up.

Stopping the $$ splurge was part of the big sook, as early 2000s the SA/WA clubs would spend more on the footy department and get results.

Fyfe inc hasnt struggled...

How about Adelaide and Brisbane teams?
Again, did you not read your article?

Adelaide is a financial powerhouse and they have similar marquee slots to Hawthorn, Essendon and Carlton. Much more than Saints, North and Dees have received.

As your article shows, In the share of home games played in marquee timeslots, Adelaide and Sydney were the two with the most!!

But the poor SA fans want more! They also feel entitled to where their away games are played and scheduled.

As your article states, QLD clubs dont push for the "marquee slots" instead preferring family friendly afternoon slots.

As a result, the two QLD clubs rarely get the marquee slots, so to compensate they get some of the biggest $$ distribution from the AFL...$10m more than what some clubs get.

Lol. The VFL and half of their teams were bankrupt, and if it wasn't for the SA and WA clubs it would have been wound up. The AFL and the VIc teams are only still there thanks to us.
Suck that up.

I’ve got to ask why the non vic clubs wanted to join a bankrupt competition? And actually the SA clubs didn’t join until a few years later so they didn’t ‘save’ anything.

24 years of Docklands/Marvel stadium and only 2 premierships from the tenants, Essendon2000 and Bulldogs2016. And one was in the first year when that list had already been established. 5 wooden spoons to Carlton and 1 to Essendon & Bulldogs can’t remember North and Saints at least 1? Genuine Vic bias???
It's a big disadvantage and has hurt the tenants. Not having actual home finals is a big factor and even Geelong are more used to the G.

Although I would say some of those clubs problems over the years have had little to do with this.

I note the tone (apart from Doddlebanger) has gone from ridiculous and indefensible stats to suck it up, you joined our comp, if you don't like it leave stickers type posting.

VICBIAS is a real thing and it is detrimental to almost half the clubs in this contrived and corrupt "competition". We have what we have now, we can't go back and correct the wrongs of the past but it's up to the non Vic Clubs, especially the more powerful ones to mount more of a campaign to call it out and try and change it.

I’ve got to ask why the non vic clubs wanted to join a bankrupt competition? And actually the SA clubs didn’t join until a few years later so they didn’t ‘save’ anything.
check your PM box Freddy

I note the tone has gone from ridiculous and indefensible stats
Agree, how you wowsers keep whinging when since 2000 that 70% of the top2 placed teams at end of H&A have been non Melbourne teams.

How many GFs would Port have made if they could win home finals?
it's up to the non Vic Clubs, especially the more powerful ones to mount more of a campaign to call it out and try and change it.
Agree, the big powerful nonVic clubs should sell some of their home games to level out the playing field.

Perhaps Port can request to play a home game against the Eagles at the G.

Agree, how you wowsers keep whinging when since 2000 that 70% of the top2 placed teams at end of H&A have been non Melbourne teams.

That’s very convenient that you keep sprouting this as the truth when in reality, you aren’t including Geelong in those stats which is why it’s so skewed as if it’s a gotcha moment, non Vics have such an advantage!!

When in reality, it’s a perfect 50/50 split since 2000 as to finishing top 2 between vic and non vic clubs.

That’s very convenient that you keep sprouting this as the truth when in reality, you aren’t including Geelong in those stats which is why it’s so skewed as if it’s a gotcha moment, non Vics have such an advantage!!
Geelong retained their home ground advantage.

Teams that have a home ground advantage dominate the H&A.

Port get 11 games with a home ground advantage this year, the most of any club.

Yet the SA cohort keep pissing and moaning because they dont get their away games where they want!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When in reality, it’s a perfect 50/50 split since 2000 as to finishing top 2 between vic and non vic clubs.

Considering interstate sides have made up approx 41% of the comp during that period, even your stats show that they are well over represented in the top 2.

Because in their little ponzi scheme where every year all the teams were borrowing money to try buy a flag where only one could succeed - they - as a collateral damage effect hoovered up every player that was any good in the wafl / sanfl.

This had the effect of turning first rate comps into 2nd rate with all the stars being lured interstate, crowds stopped going and both leagues only subsisted on transfer fees.

Id been going to the footy with dad every week without fail, we loved east perth, old boy played colts for them and we were black and blue through and through. We never gave any thought to the Victorian league - why would we, it was so far away it might as well be another country.

Then the poaching that was always there but on a small scale, got to the point where it gutted the clubs, any player that was a star would have a breakout season and then the gone. We stopped going as it wasnt enjoyable anymore. You were paying for an a grade product and watching a reserves level game. State of origin was the only decent footy you could watch.

We would have been happy watching the wafl, just like you guys were happy watching the vfl and the sa boys watching the sanfl.

The eagles was a chance to watch top level footy again.

I note the tone (apart from Doddlebanger) has gone from ridiculous and indefensible stats to suck it up, you joined our comp, if you don't like it leave stickers type posting.

VICBIAS is a real thing and it is detrimental to almost half the clubs in this contrived and corrupt "competition". We have what we have now, we can't go back and correct the wrongs of the past but it's up to the non Vic Clubs, especially the more powerful ones to mount more of a campaign to call it out and try and change it.
Actually the tone has always been both, because the expansion clubs and later Port did join the competition.

And the fans have always wanted unrealistic 'remove the smaller clubs' and complain all the time, even knowing they aren't the bulk of the market.:shrug:

Actually the tone has always been both, because the expansion clubs and later Port did join the competition.

And the fans have always wanted unrealistic 'remove the smaller clubs' and complain all the time, even knowing they aren't the bulk of the market.:shrug:
Unrealistic things like what happened in other comps around the world that went national.

How many pro teams in la? Ny?

To be fair, the WAFC buying licence did save certain clubs like yours and mine from financial ruin as Kranky has stated here
Because in their little ponzi scheme where every year all the teams were borrowing money to try buy a flag where only one could succeed - they - as a collateral damage effect hoovered up every player that was any good in the wafl / sanfl.

This had the effect of turning first rate comps into 2nd rate with all the stars being lured interstate, crowds stopped going and both leagues only subsisted on transfer fees.

Id been going to the footy with dad every week without fail, we loved east perth, old boy played colts for them and we were black and blue through and through. We never gave any thought to the Victorian league - why would we, it was so far away it might as well be another country.
So what's stopping everyone now? The WAFL is still going and is a tier 1 comp and willing to bet if every wa person snubbed the AFL and returned to support the wafl it'd be back to the glory days.

Why is it so important that non vic fans must destroy smaller vic clubs to equal up the comp when those clubs were here first? If this league is so detestable just vote with your feet and remotes, I know I would.

Essendon
Saints
Dogs
All home games played at Under Rated Indoor Concrete bowl without exception.

Collingwood
Carlton
Richmond
Hawthorn
All home games at Over Rated Outdoor Concrete Bowl without exception.

Geelong play all home games in Geelong

This would go a reasonable way to correcting some of the inequalities for both Vic and Non Vic teams.

Unrealistic things like what happened in other comps around the world that went national.

How many pro teams in la? Ny?
It's unrealistic because there's too much market for the league to throw away, there's literally 100's of paying fans and members gone from the league if we actually even up the league so it's not 'VICBias'

They are rusted on supporters of over 100 yo clubs, you can't just expect them to accept it to suit the smaller end of the market and keep paying for the product their club is no longer a member of.

Even if it were thought about, it's in the charter, it has to come to a majority vote from all the clubs to remove a club. All the clubs receive funds from the product they produce, so it's unlikely such a vote would get up anyway.

That's why it's unrealistic.

I'm like you, I'd rather a return to the VFL like you the WAFL, until then, yep you joined you suck it up.

Then the poaching that was always there but on a small scale, got to the point where it gutted the clubs, any player that was a star would have a breakout season and then the gone. We stopped going as it wasnt enjoyable anymore. You were paying for an a grade product and watching a reserves level game. State of origin was the only decent footy you could watch.

We would have been happy watching the wafl, just like you guys were happy watching the vfl and the sa boys watching the sanfl.

The eagles was a chance to watch top level footy again.

I certainly can understand why WA and SA fans would feel animosity towards the VFL/AFL in that regard (my club as guilty as any of poaching so many great WAFL and SANFL talent back in the day) but I still cannot condone or support any calls for smaller Vic clubs to fold/merge/relocate etc

If it was up to me, I would lower the criteria for WAFL AND SANFL players under Father So to both WA and SA AFL team's as well as make the highest ranked team host the Grand Final.

I think both things will eventually happen, but maybe not in our lifetime.

What's gone relatively unmentioned in this thread so far is that the introduction of Gold Coast and GWS has been a factor why we have seen so few non Victorian Premiers and teams in the GF in recent years.

The good news is that most of the non Vic clubs aside from the Eagles are building towards having a serious crack at the flag in the next 5 years (tipping we will have at least 2-3 non Vic Premiers in that time span)

The tide is slowly but surely turning towards non Vic clubs. We will see more of this next year and beyond

Essendon
Saints
Dogs
All home games played at Under Rated Indoor Concrete bowl without exception.

Collingwood
Carlton
Richmond
Hawthorn
All home games at Over Rated Outdoor Concrete Bowl without exception.

Geelong play all home games in Geelong

This would go a reasonable way to correcting some of the inequalities for both Vic and Non Vic teams.

No objection to that, and nice to see a practical and viable solution being posted in this thread.

No objection to that, and nice to see a practical and viable solution being posted in this thread.
Yep. MCG tennants have only 3 clubs that they share with, Marvel 2. This should STFU the Doddles of this world who keep banging on about "genuine home games" where 12/13 of the other 15/16 teams are genuine away teams. It is a far fairer solution. Unfortunately the corrupt MCG contract and "Blockbuster" mandates will not allow such a simple and logical solution.

Yep. MCG tennants have only 3 clubs that they share with, Marvel 2.
So you have killed off North and Melbourne?
This should STFU the Doddles of this world who keep banging on about "genuine home games" where 12/13 of the other 15/16 teams are genuine away teams. It is a far fairer solution.
It really isnt that outrageous.

Pick a home venue, you get ALL your home games FIXtured there.

That is how a H&A season should work.

But ever since AFL imposed ground rationalisation in Melbourne, the Melbourne teams dont have this.
Unfortunately the corrupt MCG contract and "Blockbuster" mandates will not allow such a simple and logical solution.
MCG contract isnt really an impost for H&A season. The problems really is the AFL wanting BLOCKBUSTERS and big games also at Docklands.

It is the AFL pushing commercial interest ahead of an equitable H&A season.

And from a commercial perspective, there is no incentive for the AFL to introduce more AFL suitable stadiums in Melbourne.

From a Collingwood perspective I would be all for a completely random FIXture. Give us ALL our home games at the G, and then pick our away games out of a hat.

Too many umpires, too many players, too many viewers, too many teams, just too many.
this post has merit

i propose a cull.

-2 umpires. one for play, one for just outside the play. if you get decked 50m off the ball thats for the MRO to watch the tapes.
-16 on the ground, 3 forwards/defenders in the arcs at all times. i don't really support this but im on a roll
-No more half measures. COVID back on the shelf....zombie apocalypse
-Can easily remove 5 teams. Saints, Dogs and Roos from Vic. Giants and Suns under last in, first out rule....or we just kick the bottom 5 out not counting WCE ($$$)

should sort it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back