Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the friar tuck!!

The Eagles are concerned the match may have left the players of both clubs mentally, physically and emotionally drained leading into the finals.

The club had submitted its requests to the AFL before the end of this year's home-and-away season but chief executive Trevor Nisbett said he had been concerned about the draining effects of a derby in last year's submission and had repeated the concerns this year.

"We certainly don't want the derby in the last round and that was in our submission," Nisbett said. "As much as it is a great game for the supporters, it would still be a great spectacle if it was played in the fourth-last, third-last or second-last round."

Fremantle remains in favour of the match, preferring the tough derby to an away game in the final round.

I know about Melbourne geography. Those clubs formed in a different environment.

A new club in Perth would be starting in an environment where everyone barracks for WCE Freo or doesn't follow footy. How are they going to carve out their own market? It's the same in Adelaide.
well you are from Vietnam.

Is there a North Vietnam or South Vietnam?

And will you take me down to Ho Chi Minh city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty? lol

Pies now wanting to travel more, instead of get a "home" game at Marvel.

Good stuff, go the Hawks route and get an advantage by traveling

Not content with 14 games at their home ground, the Pies have so many advantages due to VICBias they're willing to sell games! I'd have no issue with the Marvel game against West Coast being moved to the Gold Coast. I don't think West Coast would care either.

For the team that gets the biggest leg up in the comp, Collingwood sure has come out sooking it up the last week - injury complaints, length of game, not wanting to play at marvel.

For the team that gets the biggest leg up in the comp, Collingwood sure has come out sooking it up the last week - injury complaints, length of game, not wanting to play at marvel.

yeah but like your team lost the gf to mine last yr so suck it, boo brisbane collingwood is the goodest ever

Captivating ... why are you ignoring this stat? Since premierships are the most important thing in football, this is the most telling stat
I haven't ignored it at all.

Correct. I've got no issues debating the inequality of the GF being at the MCG. Just spare me the VicBias during the other 29 weeks of the year, because across H&A and all finals (except the GF), all of the numbers show that the fixturing doesn't advantage or disadvantage anyone.

There is no bias during the season. Non Vic teams are making finals and GFs with no issues.

Not content with 14 games at their home ground, the Pies have so many advantages due to VICBias they're willing to sell games! I'd have no issue with the Marvel game against West Coast being moved to the Gold Coast. I don't think West Coast would care either.
Of course West Coast wouldnt care, another away game where their opponent the supposed "home" team is also travelling.

Or perhaps people will start to realise that travel really is only a minor component of home ground advantage / away ground disadvantage.

In 2015 the Hawks travelled interstate the same number of times as the Eagles and one more than Freo, beat both in finals and beat both at Subi.
Beat us at Subi cas Nic Naitanui was in Fiji putting his mother in the ground. Didn't beat us in the QF.

Course you did in the GF @ the G, after finishing below us, VIC bias lol.

& that Daniel Chick story that was sat on for a couple months being released in the Herald the day before, geez Louise.

You guys had our number GF day regardless.

Yeah playing away games at the other teams home ground is some how a collingwood advantge?

Of course West Coast wouldnt care, another away game where their opponent the supposed "home" team is also travelling.

Or perhaps people will start to realise that travel really is only a minor component of home ground advantage / away ground disadvantage.

Nah. Collingwood travels 5 times in 6 months, its hardly taxing. You're wanting to sell this game to be able to stay up in Qld for a fortnight and force either the Dogs or North to travel to you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah playing away games at the other teams home ground is some how a collingwood advantge?

Wot? You're not playing the Suns up there, you're asking to play either North or the Dogs up there. Do you really think Collingwood would request something that would disadvantage them? :$

Wot? You're not playing the Suns up there, you're asking to play either North or the Dogs up there. Do you really think Collingwood would request something that would disadvantage them? :$

So now more Collingwood interstate travel is suddenly an advantage :oops:

So which is it. Is interstate travel an advantage or a disadvantage?

Methinks you just have a huge case of butt hǔrt from last year's GF.

So now more Collingwood interstate travel is suddenly an advantage :oops:

So which is it. Is interstate travel an advantage or a disadvantage?

Methinks you just have a huge case of butt hǔrt from last year's GF.

You're not adding any additional flights. You'll already be up there for the Brisbane game the week prior.

Listen if you gulp down the kool aid and think that Collingwood would request to do something that disadvantages them then more power to you!

I think looking at the AFL you need to balance all the advantages and disadvantages, and try to get to the point it is close to even.

You can argue about how much of an advantage each one is, but I don't think you can argue they are an advantage.

If the AFL was a 200m race, some of the Vic teams would get a 50m head start and then suggest the teams should train harder.

Hopefully the VFL can correct this quickly

200m race

Percentage of your list that is from your state
  • If under 50, move back 5ms
  • 50 to 70 no change
  • +70 move forward 5ms

Home Grand final
- if your home ground is the MCG, move forward 10m
- if you are Victorian, but not don't play most of your games at the MCG move forward 5m

Academy
- Do you have a academy, if so move forward 10m

Large supporter base (This is hard, as it does not apply to Geelong very well)
- Under 30k members, move back 10m
- Under 50k, no change
- Over 70k, move forward 10m

Marquee games
- Move forward 3m per marquee fixtures e.g. good Friday, Anzac day etc

Thursday night, Friday night games (nationally broadcast)
- Under 2 games average of the last 10 years, move back 10m
- Under 4 games average of the last 10 years, move back 5m
- 4-6 games move forward 5 m
- Over 6 games move for 10m

Play 10+ away games per years
- Minus 5m

WA teams extra travel
  • minus 5m
  • 12 business class seats - 1 cm

Traditional state (increased change of bringing in experienced players)
+5m

Keep North Melbourne as an AFLW club
Why?
They're defacto Tasmania.

Cull the club and transfer their womens team to the Devils

I disagree with Collingwood getting the biggest leg up.

I believe that's easily Geelong. They get the advantages that both the non-victorian clubs get and the victorian clubs get.

The AFL should never even ask clubs what preferences they would like in a fixture, and clubs should not be putting in requests for things that they would like.
The AFL is a billion dollar industry and it should not need imput from their clubs to be able to do something as simple as a fixture.

I think looking at the AFL you need to balance all the advantages and disadvantages, and try to get to the point it is close to even.

You can argue about how much of an advantage each one is, but I don't think you can argue they are an advantage.

If the AFL was a 200m race, some of the Vic teams would get a 50m head start and then suggest the teams should train harder.

Hopefully the VFL can correct this quickly

200m race

Percentage of your list that is from your state
  • If under 50, move back 5ms
  • 50 to 70 no change
  • +70 move forward 5ms

Home Grand final
- if your home ground is the MCG, move forward 10m
- if you are Victorian, but not don't play most of your games at the MCG move forward 5m

Academy
- Do you have a academy, if so move forward 10m

Large supporter base (This is hard, as it does not apply to Geelong very well)
- Under 30k members, move back 10m
- Under 50k, no change
- Over 70k, move forward 10m

Marquee games
- Move forward 3m per marquee fixtures e.g. good Friday, Anzac day etc

Thursday night, Friday night games (nationally broadcast)
- Under 2 games average of the last 10 years, move back 10m
- Under 4 games average of the last 10 years, move back 5m
- 4-6 games move forward 5 m
- Over 6 games move for 10m

Play 10+ away games per years
- Minus 5m

WA teams extra travel
  • minus 5m
  • 12 business class seats - 1 cm

Traditional state (increased change of bringing in experienced players)
+5m

It is an interesting way of framing it actually, and in some ways more productive

In a 200m race

Teams where the MCG is their home venue - 10 metre head start

Marvel teams and Geelong - 7 metres head start

NSW and QLD teams - 4 metres head start

South Australian teams - 2 metres head start

Western Australian teams - At the start line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back