Voss in 2013 (aka 'the Voss megathread')

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the GWS/Carlton game at the moment and while the Giants don't have the skills their willingness to at least stay close, contest possession and run down the ball and their opponents seems in stark contrast to the Lions last night.

I was just watching the first quarter and thinking the same thing. If it was a handful of players then it is up to them to sort it, where we are at seems to be a coaching and player management issue.

He might not want to coach, but it's the clubs duty to ask him the question or put a deal forward. If he says no, no problem.

Too many changes for us last night, and in important positions. We looked like we had no structure. Even players like Crisp and Karni looked very rusty in the first half, but seemed to adjust and settle in in the 2nd half. The other problem we have outside of being a young team, is that our best 22 isn't locked and they aren't use to playing with each other yet. We have quality players on our list and we will continue to bring in more quality players, but they need some time.

The only thing I like about Vossy at the moment is Its a win win. Lions win = happy. Lions lose = one step closer to getting a coach who through either instilling fear or through inspiration can get the group to play as a cohesive unit for each other. = happy.

Replace Voss, give us a jumper we can be proud of, and teach our players that passing off the ball is just the start of the play and maybe I can have some comebacks when getting reamed by opposition supporters.

Too many changes for us last night, and in important positions. We looked like we had no structure. Even players like Crisp and Karni looked very rusty in the first half, but seemed to adjust and settle in in the 2nd half. The other problem we have outside of being a young team, is that our best 22 isn't locked and they aren't use to playing with each other yet. We have quality players on our list and we will continue to bring in more quality players, but they need some time.

I completely agree but in reality it rarely works that way for an AFL coach. I feel for Vossy, he has done the hard yards with this team and deserves to get a reward at the end. I just wonder what is the go with the lack of putting in from the players on several occasions this year.

Are the Jekyll & Hyde team performances we are witnessing each week because of the coach or players? I mean how can we play tough contested and fearless footy against teams like the bombers, eagles & crows and then play absolutely ordinary footy against others? It's so frustrating not knowing which Brisbane Lions team is going to turn up each week.

The only thing I like about Vossy at the moment is Its a win win. Lions win = happy. Lions lose = one step closer to getting a coach who through either instilling fear or through inspiration can get the group to play as a cohesive unit for each other. = happy.

You've got a lot of faith in getting a coach that's going to be better than one with five years experience.

We could easily end up with a Neeld or Ratten or Tony Shaw.

Voss has been at the Lions for 5 years, yet hasn't developed any game plan at all. McKenna has been just into his 3rd, with a younger list, and you can clearly see a dedicated game plan. Voss has to go I don't give a shit if he was a club legend, he is not head coach. He would make a great development coach.

Voss has been at the Lions for 5 years, yet hasn't developed any game plan at all. McKenna has been just into his 3rd, with a younger list, and you can clearly see a dedicated game plan. Voss has to go I don't give a shit if he was a club legend, he is not head coach. He would make a great development coach.

If we had McKenna and they had Voss we would be so much better and Gold Coast would be so much worse.

Really? I can see a game plan based around quick movement of the ball, handballing from stoppages and out of defence to release someone like Rich into space with leading forwards. It worked in the NAB Cup and some of the games this year. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

I don't give a shit for your lack of respect for a club legend...

I don't give a shit for your lack of respect for a club legend...

That right there is the problem the club has. How do you tell a club legend he is not the right man to lead the club forward?

I completely agree with comments I heard on triple m today, the lions are becoming the side you expect nothing from. there's been 3-4 good performances, but there has been 3-4 equally terrible performances.

I can not identify a game plan or a definitive game style. The side is held together by Brown and Black. A fail to see how anyone can prove otherwise based on more than one or two games.

Also, we've only scored 55 points more than GWS this season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? I can see a game plan based around quick movement of the ball, handballing from stoppages and out of defence to release someone like Rich into space with leading forwards. It worked in the NAB Cup and some of the games this year. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.
I understand he has a game plan... what I said was he hadn't developed it. It fails to say the least and you can't really develope any sound game plan if your team is getting flogged in clearances and stoppages for the past 5 years. We have to take a step back before we can take two steps forward. We need to steady the midfield up first and blokes like Karnezis/Golby/Docherty/Polec/Hanley are not what is needed right now. They are all far to outside and are effectively only playing to 50% capacity if our inside grunt is lacking. Beams/Bartlett/Lester/Harwood/Polkinghorne are pretty much the only ones I can see that can put their hands up for those roles and quite frankly they don't give me great hope. Although Lester does look promising. The 3-Rs are an enigma; they are the core of the midfield group yet play poorly when they are in the same centre bounce. On paper they should compliment each other well but each are lacking in something and I just don't know what it is.

Did McKenna develop anything, or was it Blight? I seem to recall Bluey being under immense pressure and on the borderline of being sacked before Malcolm had to shift his focus from director to a greater involvement in the football department.
With the high rotation of young players that comes with rebuilding a team, why would you be shocked that a game plan is not being executed properly?

Watching the Demons/Hawks games and Bruce McAvaney says the very first job of a coach is to work out who his best 22 are and that Voss hasn't done this in 5 years at the Lions. Fair call?

When did Bruce McAvaney become a sort after opinion on what a coach should and shouldn't do?

Watching the Demons/Hawks games and Bruce McAvaney says the very first job of a coach is to work out who his best 22 are and that Voss hasn't done this in 5 years at the Lions. Fair call?

I'd say your best 22 changes each week depending on opponent, form, improvement, etc.

To put it into a little more context they were talking about how the Dees tend to sack half the team after each loss and put guys in for one or two games. There's no continuity built up and they thought it would be better to stick with the core group. BM was saying the Lions were a little in that category too but not as much. I can see this with Melbourne but I don't see it with the Lions as much although I'm not a great Voss fan in terms of coaching.

To put it into a little more context they were talking about how the Dees tend to sack half the team after each loss and put guys in for one or two games. There's no continuity built up and they thought it would be better to stick with the core group. BM was saying the Lions were a little in that category too but not as much. I can see this with Melbourne but I don't see it with the Lions as much although I'm not a great Voss fan in terms of coaching.

I see a lot of similar type players, same skill same size, same roles, all good but none great. I'm a footballers over athletes type of person, but given the way the game has gone in terms of endurance you have to lean towards the athlete. I love Zorko because he's different to the mould. I don't reckon we have a best 22 that screams pick me. I know when we were kings of the jungle, we certainly knew who was best 22 and who was making up the numbers. We now have too many of the latter. Is it the coaches fault? Not sure that it is.

He's only saying that because they made 6 changes (4 forced if you includes Mayes being rooted) last week when he makes his rare involvement in a Brisbane game.

The thing with the Demons and the Lions is that they are both very young, developing teams.
I was hoping we would be more settled now too but injuries and some new inclusions changes that somewhat. When you have a settled core of 10 or 12 but that or more again that you are trying to evaluate and work out how they fit together, it is a bit harder to just persist with the same guys.
With limited slots, do you play player A at the expense of seeing what player B can do? At the same time you are also trying to ensure player C is getting games as well. No good having 20 players with 50 games experience while your "depth players" languish in the reserves with just 5 senior games experience. It will be easier as we develop and have fewer youngsters to blood and with a cleaner bill of health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back