Review vs Melbourne & the Maggots review/rant megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy. With Jones and Williams out our forward line is going to be a joke. Cordy/Campbell are literally the only options left. Roberts and Stringer can't afford to be moved out of the back half thanks to Roughead's injury and Talia's shit form.
Got that fixed Dannnnnnnnnn, we promote Redpath, and put Dickson on the long term injury list. Then we bring in Bontempelli who is a class act and even though I have given Cordy a tough time in the past he is getting better. Crameri kicked 4 tonight, so with a bit of jiggering, we will be fine.

Oh jesus, so it is going to be a Cordy/Campbell forward line, well atleast Minson is gonna get a break.
I reckon our only choice is Talia in, Roberts/Stringer forward, and one of Cordy/Campbell in. Not going to be pretty and the Talia promotion isn't really deserved, but ****, I'm outta ideas.

Oh boy. With Jones and Williams out our forward line is going to be a joke. Cordy/Campbell are literally the only options left. Roberts and Stringer can't afford to be moved out of the back half thanks to Roughead's injury and Talia's shit form.

Cordy or Redpath into the side please. Hunter to be replaced by Wallis and Dickson replaced by Bonti

I reckon our only choice is Talia in, Roberts/Stringer forward, and one of Cordy/Campbell in. Not going to be pretty and the Talia promotion isn't really deserved, but ****, I'm outta ideas.
I wouldn't mind Cordy coming in, sounds like his found some form in the VFL. But I think his a case of too good for VFL not good enough for AFL.

Also Brian Taylor is just a through and through terrible commentator.

>WB kicks a goal, up a by a point
>"This goal has brought the dogs back into the game"
No, it hasn't brought us 'back into the game', it's put us ahead of the opposition. You would say that if the goal put us within a couple of kicks.

>Richo tries to look at the Jones bump immediately after it happened with a reasonable, thought out approach
>Gets immediately shut down by BT before he could really begin..."Don't make excuses"
Just a douche move there.

BT also found it acceptable to make a fuss over every soft decision/missed call that went against Melbourne. But when something similar happened to the Dogs, BT ignored it in favour of constantly mentioning the fact that if Melbourne won, it would, in fact, be back to back wins for the club. 1+1 does equal 2 BT, good job. Something he felt necessary to do after every minute or so.

off to bed, cough lollies at the side, goody....sunday papers tomorrow, read about the dogs. watch the replay again, put the feet up, and SMILE!
Good luck with that. It will all be about how Melbourne were in it and should have won, how Tyson is a star, Salem looks the goods oh and the dogs won and how Roos has got the Dees on the right path, there will be a few speed bumps, but their effort was there.

I've gotta be honest...I can kinda see where fronkalicious is coming from.

I think "no heart" may have been the wrong choice of words - we showed in the last that we genuinely want to win and will throw our bodies on the line and do anything possible to get across the line. But the question needs to be - why is there no desperation for the first three? For much of the preceding three quarters we didn't run hard enough, didn't throw our bodies on the line, had too many passengers and couldn't man up to save our lives. Why does it take almost losing to an average team to pump us up?

I wouldn't mind Cordy coming in, sounds like his found some form in the VFL. But I think his a case of too good for VFL not good enough for AFL.
Gerard Fitzgerald the VFL coach said we have to be patient with Cordy, he is still young, but he is tall, and he shows skills below the waist, he took some good contested marks today. Yeah VFL is a lot different than AFL, naturally, but horses for courses, Cordy is on the improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck with that. It will all be about how Melbourne were in it and should have won, how Tyson is a star, Salem looks the goods oh and the dogs won and how Roos has got the Dees on the right path, there will be a few speed bumps, but their effort was there.
True, but then I will look at the ladder and we will have 12 points, you can't beat score on the board.

I think "no heart" may have been the wrong choice of words - we showed in the last that we genuinely want to win and will throw our bodies on the line and do anything possible to get across the line. But the question needs to be - why is there no desperation for the first three? For much of the preceding three quarters we didn't run hard enough, didn't throw our bodies on the line, had too many passengers and couldn't man up to save our lives. Why does it take almost losing to an average team to pump us up?

The main point of what I stated, we don't lack the heart, but IMO we lack that spark and overall hardness at the ball.

I don't quite agree with you Dan, I reckon we were pumping hard in the first 3 quarters, just some things weren't coming off, we weren't bombing it into the forward line as wastefully as we did last week. I think we were undermanned in height, no doubt about that, but I reckon we tackled, absorbed a lot of pressure out there, how many times did I see Picken, Libba, Cooney, Griffen, lay tackles and crunches. We were murdered by the maggots, but we still won, I think we persevered all night and in the end, it paid off.

Have to say I was impressed by JJ.
Whilst he missed a goal he should have kicked, and faded late, he is in a team to fill a role and he filled that role. If 22 players fill their expected role we'd win every week.

I don't quite agree with you Dan, I reckon we were pumping hard in the first 3 quarters, just some things weren't coming off, we weren't bombing it into the forward line as wastefully as we did last week. I think we were undermanned in height, no doubt about that, but I reckon we tackled, absorbed a lot of pressure out there, how many times did I see Picken, Libba, Cooney, Griffen, lay tackles and crunches. We were murdered by the maggots, but we still won, I think we persevered all night and in the end, it paid off.
I'm not really talking about our pressure around the ball - while we were probably beaten inside most times, we were very good at laying tackles and pressuring the man with the ball. However we didn't push hard enough when the ball was either on the move, or when the ball was in somebody else's hands. How many times was our forward line bare tonight? That's work rate. How many times did we get shown to be trailing our man? How many times did they grab uncontested marks or kicks to advantage by being goal side? All of this is work rate and it's a continued concern for me. Our pressure around the contest and on the ball carrier is fine, I have no gripe with that. I have a gripe with our lack of work rate to adopt different structures, or re-form struggling ones.

Last edited:
I'm not really talking about our pressure around the ball - while we were probably beaten inside most times, we were very good at laying tackles and pressuring the man with the ball. However we didn't push hard enough when the ball was either on the move, or when the ball was in somebody else's hands. How many times was our forward line bear tonight? That's work rate. How many times did we get shown to be trailing our man? How many times did they grab uncontested marks or kicks to advantage by being goal side? All of this is work rate and it's a continued concern for me. Our pressure around the contest and on the ball carrier is fine, I have no gripe with that. I have a gripe with our lack of work rate to adopt different structures, or re-form struggling ones.
I reckon Melbourne despite their talls were also lacking on the forward line when it counted. I believe our work rate was fine, it is the polish that is probably missing at the moment, but as the game wore on, we got a bit of spit on the ball and we looked the goods. You put Roughy back in the team, and a few of our injured players return and I think you might see a different result. 4 POINTS yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

real shame about the injuries and don't really have the depth to cover it
thank goodness the bye is coming, allows sore players a much needed rest

Things are alive and well at Footscray....... The bulldogs fight and win with some kids standing up and sticking to there roles and cracking in and getting the job done. Watching the VFL today showed me that where on the right track. Irrespective if people think Macca is or isn't the man facts are where headed in the right direction. Bonti hrovat smith Stevens even big jacky redpath.... I love long Jong ... But today was a great day for our club. Roos has always coached that boring as batshit game plan like Ross Lyon so we had to do what we had to do. I'm a big fan of tommy Williams obviously not for hi football ability but for the man to keep coming back and having a crack at the task ahead of him and tonight well done to Tom. Also if Tom Liberatore was at colling Gary Lyon and brayshaw and all those flogs would be rapping him up bigger than G.Ablett. What a star.

But guys seriously I think there comes a time in October where we get lick 4-5 and hand it over to Sydney or gws and go get Patton or Reid surely..... Enough is enough.... Macca for the sake of the 30,000 members and players and staff go and through a lucrative contract in front of 1 of these kids and bring them on a journey with us to September. Go Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back