2nds WAFL / Beagles Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that North VFL midfield that at one stage a few weeks ago was Ben Cunnington, Hugh Greenwood, Tarryn Thomas and George Wardlaw is pedestrian and kindergarten.

Same as the Brisbane one containing Jarryd Lyons, Mathieson, Answerth and Dunkley.

Same as the Gold Coast one containing Davies, Sexton, Hollands.

Big bodies are one thing, infinitely better footballers than glorified suburban footballers are another.

A big bunch of WAFL footballers would struggle to make Div 1 suburban sides in Melbourne, let alone the Werribee and Williamstown sides.

Keep on dreaming.

Well granted them over spending didn't help, but we both know the Eagles have been an issue for the WAFL for decades.
Garbage

People just looking for a excuse for their own incompetence and dont want to self reflect.

WAFL comp hasnt had integrity for many decades now. Continues to this day with the fibs about monetary issues to steal more govt money.

Please explain?? WTF you talking about?
Do you literally have 100 hours for me to go over the WAFLS incompetence too you? Thats how much time I need .

WAFC says they have a 10.2 mill deficit and are asking for the W.A govt to increase funding to pay it off. How about just cut costs and pay what you can afford instead? Crazy thought I know

Also let not forget the WAFC parliamentary enquiry from 2020 which the WAFL clubs refused to take part in and then the parliament inquiry found "Eagles and Dockers have too much say and power in W.A football". We all know why they didnt turn up....

Dont get me started on the incompetence of the WAFL colts system.

I say the best way to get yourself a AFL career in W.A is to play basketball instead. The talent from W.A is getting worse year in year out and its because they are just too lazy and incompetent to do the job properly

There’s so much wrong with that statement, I started to type out a response but then I saw who’d posted it and realised it wasn’t worth the effort.

Suffice to say the number of WA kids getting drafted is roughly the same as it’s been for years ie about one in every six players is from WA.

Do you literally have 100 hours for me to go over the WAFLS incompetence too you? Thats how much time I need .

WAFC says they have a 10.2 mill deficit and are asking for the W.A govt to increase funding to pay it off. How about just cut costs and pay what you can afford instead? Crazy thought I know

Also let not forget the WAFC parliamentary enquiry from 2020 which the WAFL clubs refused to take part in and then the parliament inquiry found "Eagles and Dockers have too much say and power in W.A football". We all know why they didnt turn up....

Lets start with the deficit. You are incorrect on pretty much everything. The following is direct off the WAFC annual report.

"The significant deficit recognised in the 2022 financial year of $10,212,122 is due to a change in the timing at which the WAFC received its funding under the Funding Agreement with the State in 2022. Since its inception in 2017, this funding has been received in advance of the financial year that the funding is for. In 2022, the funding was received after the end of the financial year, for the first time. This short delay, which has no impact on the operations of the WAFC, now means that the annual financial statements more accurately match the State funding with the expenditure to which the funding applies. If the State funding for 2023 had been received before 31 October 2022, the WAFC would have recorded a net surplus of $1,554,878 for 2022. This shows that 2022 delivered a positive result for football in Western Australia, ensuring that the game can remain sustainable and continue to grow into the future."

Not all WAFL clubs are profitable each year and it is hard for them, you are aware many AFL clubs are also not profitable. Should we tell them to spend what they can afford?

You have a beef with the WAFL clubs for some reason, not sure why. They work harder than any other sports club in the state with very little assistance. The WAFC should be firstly taking much more money from the Eagles and Dockers as they own them. And then the WAFC should be giving each WAFL club a much larger slice of the pie. right now they get very little.

There’s so much wrong with that statement, I started to type out a response but then I saw who’d posted it and realised it wasn’t worth the effort.

Suffice to say the number of WA kids getting drafted is roughly the same as it’s been for years ie about one in every six players is from WA.

Yep the lack of knowledge is quite disturbing.

Lets start with the deficit. You are incorrect on pretty much everything. The following is direct off the WAFC annual report.

"The significant deficit recognised in the 2022 financial year of $10,212,122 is due to a change in the timing at which the WAFC received its funding under the Funding Agreement with the State in 2022. Since its inception in 2017, this funding has been received in advance of the financial year that the funding is for. In 2022, the funding was received after the end of the financial year, for the first time. This short delay, which has no impact on the operations of the WAFC, now means that the annual financial statements more accurately match the State funding with the expenditure to which the funding applies. If the State funding for 2023 had been received before 31 October 2022, the WAFC would have recorded a net surplus of $1,554,878 for 2022. This shows that 2022 delivered a positive result for football in Western Australia, ensuring that the game can remain sustainable and continue to grow into the future."

Not all WAFL clubs are profitable each year and it is hard for them, you are aware many AFL clubs are also not profitable. Should we tell them to spend what they can afford?

You have a beef with the WAFL clubs for some reason, not sure why. They work harder than any other sports club in the state with very little assistance. The WAFC should be firstly taking much more money from the Eagles and Dockers as they own them. And then the WAFC should be giving each WAFL club a much larger slice of the pie. right now they get very little.
That proves my exact point. Rely on state funding and then recently they complained and asked for even more. WAFL should receive a grand total of 0 dollarrs from Eagles and 0 dollars from the state government.

All this free money has done is bred incompetence, salary cap cheating and a horrible culture which no one other then the die hards want to be a part of. They provide nothing to the state, NOTHING to the WCE and Freo and are basically just a complete waste of money and space.

WCE/Freo should start a new breakaway league and leave the dinosuars to die out. Once we do that, we can stop burning money on nothing and get back to a more competent breeding ground of young talent as well as a more equitable and sustainable competition

That proves my exact point. Rely on state funding and then recently they complained and asked for even more. WAFL should receive a grand total of 0 dollarrs from Eagles and 0 dollars from the state government.

All this free money has done is bred incompetence, salary cap cheating and a horrible culture which no one other then the die hards want to be a part of. They provide nothing to the state, NOTHING to the WCE and Freo and are basically just a complete waste of money and space.

WCE/Freo should start a new breakaway league and leave the dinosuars to die out. Once we do that, we can stop burning money on nothing and get back to a more competent breeding ground of young talent as well as a more equitable and sustainable competition

You are aware the WA Government bailed the Eagles out many years ago? Why would football not receive funding, all other sports do?
Football has always been funded somehow by the government.
Who built the new stadium? Was it the Eagles or was it the government?

And go and play in the VFL reserves if you want, that won't change that you will still be handing over your profits to your owners. Fancy that giving your owners the profits.

Good idea by the way, lets fold the WAFL, I reckon the Amatuer league and country leagues should fold as well. In fact I reckon just have the Eagles and Dockers only and no other football leagues at all, lets get rid of junior footy as well, another waste of space.
What a moron you are. Clearly just a WCE Fanboi with no idea about pretty much anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can lie about my statement and turn it into something else. I never mentioned quantity, i mentioned quality.

The drop off in top recruits is alarming over the last 10 years.

The SOO W.A team of the last 10 years would be ****ing atrocious compared to those previous

You can lie about my statement and turn it into something else. I never mentioned quantity, i mentioned quality.

The drop off in top recruits is alarming over the last 10 years.

The SOO W.A team of the last 10 years would be ******* atrocious compared to those previous

How do you measure quality?

Five WA players were taken in the first round (top 21) last year, four the year before that. That’s slightly over the 1/6 average.

If you’ve got to prove your point by citing the quality of a non existent state of origin team, I think you might be in trouble,

You are aware the WA Government bailed the Eagles out many years ago? Why would football not receive funding, all other sports do?
Football has always been funded somehow by the government.
Who built the new stadium? Was it the Eagles or was it the government?

And go and play in the VFL reserves if you want, that won't change that you will still be handing over your profits to your owners. Fancy that giving your owners the profits.

Good idea by the way, lets fold the WAFL, I reckon the Amatuer league and country leagues should fold as well. In fact I reckon just have the Eagles and Dockers only and no other football leagues at all, lets get rid of junior footy as well, another waste of space.
What a moron you are. Clearly just a WCE Fanboi with no idea about pretty much anything.
Ones a investment and the other is pissing money down the toilet for a nil return for decades on end

I suppose we should call Coldplay and tell em they cant come? Stadium only for WCE. Not a good argument that one

WAFL should fold because its past its used by date. A new competiton that includes regional areas like Bunbury and Broome is well and truly needed. WAFL dinosaurs wont allow it cos it will hurt their feelings but its needed and required. A team in Bunbury would get 5x the fans the Perth Demons get. WAFL can stay if it was good and relevant but it isnt so off it goes. Many companies that are hundreds of years old have gone bankrupt in the past few years. Some times it just is how it is

WAFL is the Blockbusters of sport. Rather then adapt to the new market it stayed the same and refused to move with the times. Now instead of building hospitals and funding things of importance we just piss money away unnecessarily to run a bankrupted company instead. Its unnecessary and not required

Not quite how it works money wise. Elon Musk owns Twitter but is he going to give Teslas profits to Twitter?

Last edited:
My new comp would be

Bunbury
Broome/Karattha/Port Hedland (mining towns team)
Mandurah
Fremantle
West Perth
East Perth
West Coast Eagles
Kalgoorlie

Demons/Swan Districs/Subiaco get eaten up by Eages or all go and South/East Fremantle get eaten up by Dockers

The regional teams would get 3-5k fans each game easily and give the competition more reach and actually put meaning to the W.A aspect as opposed to what it is now which is only Perth related.

Last edited:
How is the VFL going to solve anything?

1. It's a much stronger comp as a whole, so this 180 point thrashing might have been 200+

2. There's the same salary cap restrictions for AFL clubs vs VFL clubs, you are mostly reliant on your AFL list. The best unaligned players are playing for stand alone sides, as they pay a lot more.

On point 2, will be interesting to see what happens to those stand alone teams if the WA and SA teams join the VFL and it turns into a true AFL reserves comp.

AFL would be keen for curtain raisers with the resies playing before the senior team with the same opponents to reduce costs. So would raise questions on if the stand-alone remain or get pushed down to something like the VFA

On point 2, will be interesting to see what happens to those stand alone teams if the WA and SA teams join the VFL and it turns into a true AFL reserves comp.

AFL would be keen for curtain raisers with the resies playing before the senior team with the same opponents to reduce costs. So would raise questions on if the stand-alone remain or get pushed down to something like the VFA

How is it really saving costs?

Ground usage?

The main costs are all in flights, accommo for all players, staff, medico's etc, which all still apply.

How is it really saving costs?

Ground usage?

The main costs are all in flights, accommo for all players, staff, medico's etc, which all still apply.

Yeah all of the above really. Would be interesting to see the costs for the Gold Coast/Brisbane/Sydney/GWS games in the VFL currently.

Posted it a few times, but Tredrea reckons he heard from within the industry that an AFL reserves comp is 2 years away. Take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

The AFL won't be keen for curtain raisers, it is too much use for the grounds which is why we rarely see one now. The reserves team will almost certainly play elsewhere 90% of the time.

Yeah all of the above really. Would be interesting to see the costs for the Gold Coast/Brisbane/Sydney/GWS games in the VFL currently.

Posted it a few times, but Tredrea reckons he heard from within the industry that an AFL reserves comp is 2 years away. Take that with a grain of salt.

They would have to increase list size up to 60 players to get a reserves comp going, they would all have to be fully paid professionals. Just cannot see that happening when you consider that every AFL list now have a minimum of 10 players on it that are either colts or barely good enough to play league at State league level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back