2nds WAFL/WAFL Reserves Thread 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

That's been a pet peeve of mine all year, there has been so many players doing in...running forward looking for the easy kick rather than putting on the block. S Selwood had one or two on the weekend, which is unlike him.

On Embley, the only role he plays well now is the seagull, and that only works well when we are playing well and he can play without accountability.

yeah saw one glaring example where Scooter could have could have shepherded and released his mate to run into the forward line but stayed off the contest looking for the handball.

In my honest opinion is that Woosha's messages aren't getting thru to the playing group anymore as simple as that , I think Woosha has lost the passion from everything I see :(
Does anyone remember when the players asked for more one on one coaching from Woosha, other than the assistants, the year we got the wooden spoon, could this be occurring again?

Ridiculous mindset.

Let's play a guy for the rest of the season not because he deserves it, but to see if he deserves it.
Why is it ridiculous mate , as I have said he is playing under extreme pressure just like Ebert did and look at Ebert now he has a full time gig at Port , think about it mate.....

Why is it ridiculous mate , as I have said he is playing under extreme pressure just like Ebert did and look at Ebert now he has a full time gig at Port , think about it mate.....
He is still a spud.
MC failed again with the Big Q moving as well.? Until today he was on 4 goals.
Players must earn games. Listen to Roos on the couch tonight.

It's ridiculous to say that you should give extended time in the side to someone because that's the only way they're going to play good footy.

How about they play good footy in the first place when given a go and force the match committee to drop someone else instead?

It's the same argument people have been making for years on this board. They said the same about Swift and he couldn't hack it. The same is said about Ash Smith yet why should we give an extended run to someone who's such a liability?

We're not a team that can afford to play (at most) 21 and a half men each week.

Simple fact is that Dalziell is filler for our side. When someone is injured, he gets a run. If he was a gun then Brisbane wouldn't have been so quick to trade him in a straight swap for Brent Staker.

Looking forward to seeing who out of our squad gets a run this week. Some big changes are in the air for the Hawthorn game so I think we'll get a good gauge from the players who play WAFL this week who is/isn't under consideration.

It's ridiculous to say that you should give extended time in the side to someone because that's the only way they're going to play good footy.

How about they play good footy in the first place when given a go and force the match committee to drop someone else instead?

It's the same argument people have been making for years on this board. They said the same about Swift and he couldn't hack it. The same is said about Ash Smith yet why should we give an extended run to someone who's such a liability?

Simple fact is that Dalziell is filler for our side. When someone is injured, he gets a run. If he was a gun then Brisbane wouldn't have been so quick to trade him in a straight swap for Brent Staker.

Well we will have to see what happens when the new coach comes in next year hey :)

They have to earn there spots but they have to deserve retention equally. Living on past glory is a horrible way to select a squad. Embley and Selwood especially are prime examples of guys that don't deserve to be retained.

Now if Ash Smith was such a liability they wouldn't select him. As it's stands he's a young capped player with potential, some good attributes and some solid AFL form. His WAFL form is solid and he's got things to work on in his game.

If he played against Hawthorn he'd have earned that call up.

It wasn't a straight trade and Dalziell isn't a filler. AFL lists are too small to carry types like him. Id rather we rotated through three green kids since 2009 than retain such obvious dead wood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we should keep playing players with runs on the board, not matter how far past it they are, because younger players haven't proven themselves at AFL? That's not how player development works. Kids can play as many WAFL games as they like, but they won't fully develop without extended time at AFL, and yes, sometimes you have to give them those games even when they don't 100% deserve it because of their potential.

So we should keep playing players with runs on the board, not matter how far past it they are, because younger players haven't proven themselves at AFL? That's not how player development works. Kids can play as many WAFL games as they like, but they won't fully develop without extended time at AFL, and yes, sometimes you have to give them those games even when they don't 100% deserve it because of their potential.

They have to earn there spots but they have to deserve retention equally. Living on past glory is a horrible way to select a squad. Embley and Selwood especially are prime examples of guys that don't deserve to be retained.

Well we will have to see what happens when the new coach comes in next year hey :)

Sorry fellas, I understand your points and they make sense. Eagles 4 Mine, sorry if I came across heavy handed in my previous posts.

I just don't agree that someone like Bradd Dalziell (who ain't a spring chicken) should be given an extended run in the seniors to see if he's cut out for life in the AFL.

My thoughts are to give them a taste at the top level and if they play well enough to earn their spot for the next week, then keep them in the side. If not, send them back with the taste of the big time in their mouth, that way if they play well enough to get back into the seniors then they're going to want to fight as hard to make it impossible to be dropped.

Fanciful? Probably. I just don't like pumping games into inadequate players when we can't afford passengers. We've got a bloody tough run coming up and need to win as many games as possible - we can't afford to be playing players just so they can get the experience.

Sorry fellas, I understand your points and they make sense. Eagles 4 Mine, sorry if I came across heavy handed in my previous posts.

I just don't agree that someone like Bradd Dalziell (who ain't a spring chicken) should be given an extended run in the seniors to see if he's cut out for life in the AFL.

My thoughts are to give them a taste at the top level and if they play well enough to earn their spot for the next week, then keep them in the side. If not, send them back with the taste of the big time in their mouth, that way if they play well enough to get back into the seniors then they're going to want to fight as hard to make it impossible to be dropped.

Fanciful? Probably. I just don't like pumping games into inadequate players when we can't afford passengers. We've got a bloody tough run coming up and need to win as many games as possible - we can't afford to be playing players just so they can get the experience.

Agree that Dalziell shouldn't get a run (or an extended run), hence talking about kids with potential (which should automatically rule him out). We have nothing to gain by giving Dalziell more games this year. He won't win us a flag, and he will stop us developing younger players.

In my honest opinion is that Woosha's messages aren't getting thru to the playing group anymore as simple as that , I think Woosha has lost the passion from everything I see :(

Completely agree. All season it 'looks' like he is just going through the motions, that his hearts not in it anymore. Doesn't fire up at games, doesn't fire up in the coaches box like he used to and doesn't show any emotion whatsoever during pressers.

If he's not interested in the job then no problems, hats off to him and thanks for everything.

But we can't have somebody who isn't 100% committed to success for this club, rather then his chemist and life afterwards.

As harsh as all that sounds ^

Looking forward to seeing who out of our squad gets a run this week. Some big changes are in the air for the Hawthorn game so I think we'll get a good gauge from the players who play WAFL this week who is/isn't under consideration.

Perth play East Perth and West Perth play East Freo, with both games on the Sunday.

With the Hawthorn game 5 days later, it'll be interesting to see who doesn't get released for the Sunday WAFL games. Fair assumption that anyone who plays in those games won't be in consideration for the Hawks.

I agree to an extent but the balance is wrong in the other direction. We're a long way from doing a Melbourne or a Hawthorn and gutting our list. The reality is that the turnover will happen and it'll happen in the next two years.

We wait to find out if Cripps, Sheppard, Smith, Wilson, Hutchings, Dick ect.. are AFL ready until 2014 or later then we'll be suffering further.

No matter how fit our squad we can't hope to win against the better sides. We just don't structure up that well, we're either clinical or totally ineffective. There is no love for 50/50 contests we either spread and get free or degenerate into a slow moving side that lacks the penetration to effectively hurt sides on the score board.

We have a root and branch problem with our best 22 and the delusion will end either later this year or later next year. The sooner the less painful it will be.

No dramas mate this is why we have a forum to vent our ideas , all good :)

It's not about the cattle, it's about mindset. Watch that last goal again and Embley (yes, he seems to be one of my favourite targets at the moment) just runs alongside, slightly forward, of Rosa looking for the handball over the top. He does not try to impede the Saints player running alongside him from getting to Rosa.
Doesn't need to be a snap in half shirtfront (admittedly my favourite) just a body in the way, block of some sort.
Bring back RoJo ! Brennan can play this role - hope he gets a run with role on Birchall next game - Hutchings blocks and puts in some hard tackles every game, Kerr's not scared of anybody nomatter how big they are (but maybe not these days), McGinnity can be downright unsociable, and I think McGovern can be trained to play that way. These few can also handle being bashed up.
Welli likes to give it out but maybe doesn't like to get it back. Then we've got too many who don't like to get their hands dirty.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds WAFL/WAFL Reserves Thread 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back