2nds WAFL/WAFL Reserves Thread 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

yep, why o why do we do this. like masten at 3, shep at 7, it goes on. what happened to the old days with Kempy at 92

Look at the next 5 picks after Masten.
Cale Morton? Poor. Was and still is a delisting candidate.
Jarrad Grant? Has always been very average. Trade candidate for the bulldogs.
David Myers? Okay player, but hasn't done much up to now.
Rhys Palmer? Peaked in his first season, now very average and will continue to be average.
Lachie Henderson? Decent but unspectacular KPP.

Masten was the best of a bad situation, and has become a pretty bloody good player now.

Was he?

I don't recall there was a great deal of interest in him from other clubs and he was something of a surprise selection.

Concede I may be wrong though
He was always rated a first rounder. I have distant connections to him through mates and their families so followed him a bit - he jumped from a 15ish pick to a 7.

That draft was weird though - had a clear top 6 then a huge drop off (at the time).

He was always rated a first rounder. I have distant connections to him through mates and their families so followed him a bit - he jumped from a 15ish pick to a 7.

That draft was weird though - had a clear top 6 then a huge drop off (at the time).

I seem to recall there being a fair bit of speculation that we'd take Kane Lucas - not much difference between the two so far

haven't seen too much of lucas but just recently he has been showing a bit,i would choose him on recent form

From what I've seen he's getting a fair bit of the ball but his disposal is average. Shep seems to be the opposite - uses it ok but doesn't get enough ball

I was told after the draft that Sheppard was wrapped to be picked up by WCE as Port had told him they were keen with their first pick which was pick 8. It was a mate of a mate type thing though so not sure how accurate.

Lucas is VERY vanilla. He wouldn't improve us IMO

He wouldn't improve our best side but he'd make our lesser sides more competitive.

From what I've seen he's getting a fair bit of the ball but his disposal is average. Shep seems to be the opposite - uses it ok but doesn't get enough ball

He's very efficient, his running and marking is what makes him damaging.

still prefer to have Shep over Lucas.

Lucas is pretty average. Shep has the tools, just needs it to all come together. Surely must play next week, and for the rest of the season.

I was told after the draft that Sheppard was wrapped to be picked up by WCE as Port had told him they were keen with their first pick which was pick 8. It was a mate of a mate type thing though so not sure how accurate.

Port picked up Andrew Moore at pick 9, so i'd say that's got some truth to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Shep still has massive upside. Worth remembering he was basically a cricketer until 16, and he's shown a bit with us then had injuries. Uses the ball well, runs really well and is adding the tougher stuff to his game. He's not going to be an inside mid, but for a side lacking pace and class outside he seems a pretty natural option.

I think Shep still has massive upside. Worth remembering he was basically a cricketer until 16, and he's shown a bit with us then had injuries. Uses the ball well, runs really well and is adding the tougher stuff to his game. He's not going to be an inside mid, but for a side lacking pace and class outside he seems a pretty natural option.

For a player of his stature and role, he is quite unclean with his hands. He needs to improve a lot.

For a player of his stature and role, he is quite unclean with his hands. He needs to improve a lot.
I completely disagree with this point. As an outside mid, his hand skills are no worse that Gaff/Rosa etc.

I completely disagree with this point. As an outside mid, his hand skills are no worse that Gaff/Rosa etc.

He fumbles a lot for an outside player, I stick by that. His hand skills per se aren't bad once he has the ball. Where do you think they should settle him? Wing?

He fumbles a lot for an outside player, I stick by that. His hand skills per se aren't bad once he has the ball. Where do you think they should settle him? Wing?
Wing/HFF for sure

He's really only been rotated through defence for us, rather than holding down a genuine defensive position.

Just from general feel, it seems like he's spent whole halves in defence in some games this year. Richmond was one. Adelaide was another where he actually did quite well. I'd rather see him rotate through the half forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds WAFL/WAFL Reserves Thread 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back