2nds WAFL/WAFL Reserves Thread 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone see the Swan Districts- East Perth game?
I didn't see it but I checked the stats and Bennell only got 9 possessions. Did he get injured or was it just a spud of a game?

Well he is a defender, he could have just played a lock down game first and worry about getting the ball second.

I wasn't serious. Just not sure why you don't play Hams forward and Butler in defence at WAFL level?

Probably because at WAFL level they are a cut above the rest so it's why their respective coaches play them through the middle where they can do the most damage? If both are on the list next year they will be under Eagles control at East Perth and will most likely be played in their pigeon holed positions.

Apparently the Kerr report was pointless, so if anyone is worried about that, don't be.

Someone in the same game got reported for time wasting and there was also a head count. Strange.

Apparently Selwood and Morton both didn't play WAFL today because we're expecting 1 or 2 chances to the side tomorrow. Shuey and someone else (I assume this is alreay in another thread).

Imagine him on the wing at Subi on the counter? Or running around half forward? Jesus, whatever his troubles, they shouldnt have been big enough to stop us from drafting him.

The only reason we that we could have had is that he was a meth addict

Oh wait.

Probably should have still drafted him.

Apparently Selwood and Morton both didn't play WAFL today because we're expecting 1 or 2 chances to the side tomorrow. Shuey and someone else (I assume this is alreay in another thread).
YOU TAKE THAT BACK

I don't think playing alone in the 50, out of the goal square is going to be a valid AFL tactic for Dayle. He played very well, particularly under duress as he seemed to have an ongoing calf complaint, but due to his role, his numbers aren't particularly relevant to AFL footy. Especially since a considerable amount of his impact was as an aerial threat.

Seriously? If you've seen Garlett play more than once you realize he is miles ahead of 95% of our current list for talent. The fact he was used in a somewhat different way today and still excelled actually adds more reason to have punted on him....

Mids who can go forward and be isolated and dangerous are of huge value at AFL cos its an excellent way to either break a tag or to contribute even when struggling further up the ground.

Again, seriously? You watched him today and thought "nah, that proves nothing to me"

You should just walk away from footy. You have no idea if that's what you're suggesting.

Eagle87, you're the one suggesting he played a different role today, he didn't. How much have you watched? He's been playing out of the goal square all year. He's very, very, very rarely been in the middle.

I'm not saying he isn't talented, on talent alone, he's clearly above WAFL level. But from someone who HAS watched him this year, he has a LOT of work to do in defensive and intensity aspects.

I'm also not suggesting we should simply dismiss all his performances due to his role, but context is needed. The same tactic is not going to work at AFL level.

So perhaps before you accuse someone of not knowing what they're talking about, perhaps you should make sure you do...

SUNDAY TIMES " PICK ME "

Daniel Kerr - On report , but was dominant around the contest
Brad Dick - Popped up at the right times , kicking two goals
Blayne Wilson - Handy in defence,without being dominant
Scott Lycett - Good late in the game, but could be in trouble with tribunal if melee tape is viewed
Jamie Bennell - Didn't provide the usual run from defence and gave away a couple of crucial free kicks that resulted in goals
Ashton Hams - Terrific all day on the ball
Simon Tunbridge - Left the field with a finger injury late in the game
Sam Butler - Classy four quarter display
Fraser McIness - Provided a strong target at centre-half forward

Ashton Hams in his normal WAFL BOG form , hope he goes well in the Sandover medal this year / Scott Lycett sounds like he clobbered someone on the jaw and a good pun by the Sunday Times journalist on Brad Dick . Also Butler may still have some AFL left in him , we will wait and see !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were mini melees going on everywhere during that incident- Scott would be very unlucky to get done - although as he was wearing blue and black, he probably will :rolleyes:

Ashton Hams in his normal WAFL BOG form , hope he goes well in the Sandover medal this year / Scott Lycett sounds like he clobbered someone on the jaw and a good pun by the Sunday Times journalist on Brad Dick . Also Butler may still have some AFL left in him , we will wait and see !

Butler was solid against Essendon, his last recorded game IIRC. I think there's room for him, provided he can do it consistently, which is the biggest question as at the moment he has two/three games of dreck then plays a great game which reminds everyone of what he can do.

Eagle87, you're the one suggesting he played a different role today, he didn't. How much have you watched? He's been playing out of the goal square all year. He's very, very, very rarely been in the middle.

I'm not saying he isn't talented, on talent alone, he's clearly above WAFL level. But from someone who HAS watched him this year, he has a LOT of work to do in defensive and intensity aspects.

I'm also not suggesting we should simply dismiss all his performances due to his role, but context is needed. The same tactic is not going to work at AFL level.

So perhaps before you accuse someone of not knowing what they're talking about, perhaps you should make sure you do...

I agree he's played forward a lot. Much to the chagrin of many Swans supporters - particularly earlier this year when their midfield wasn't firing.

I agree he's a work in progress, a staggering issue for an 18/19 year old.

But he played more as a target forward yesterday, as you said out if the square relying on his marking more. He has played much of this season forward but primarily in the role of a more typical half forward ...

Sure he has some work to do running defensively - again he's 19 - and lets be honest, loads of gifted players have intensity issues. But the simple facts are his skills are elite. Better than 95% of the guys on our list. Your post focused on a few, solvable issues, that are at the heart of our teams flaws I.e we are full of hard working, intense, relatively lowly talented footballers. A couple of super skilled players might be a nice compliment.

Your post discounted that and focused on the negatives of a 19 year old kicking 5 goals 3 and looking a class above "but he won't play that exact role at AFL level, but he sometimes doesn't chase hard enough, but he sometimes lacks intensity" ... Hey to hell with the fact that he's uber talented and could have been had for virtually free (which is my point) ...

Butler was solid against Essendon, his last recorded game IIRC. I think there's room for him, provided he can do it consistently, which is the biggest question as at the moment he has two/three games of dreck then plays a great game which reminds everyone of what he can do.

I've been a Butler fan over the years, but I'm concerned about him finding a role going forward based primarily on his very modest pace. He's earmarked as a defender, in a slowish defence his role is primarily based on his good decision making and good ball use. But he struggles to lock down small quick defenders and with our land of giants back 6 that's a big part of his role.

He was originally picked up by us as a mid. But Woosh has shown no inclination to even rotate him through there. So his spot appears as a defender and he has clear weaknesses in that role given his just ok one on one defensive skills and his average pace. This is exacerbated by current game styles "sling shot footy" which exposé slowish defenders on quicker forwards.

I've been a Butler fan over the years, but I'm concerned about him finding a role going forward based primarily on his very modest pace. He's earmarked as a defender, in a slowish defence his role is primarily based on his good decision making and good ball use. But he struggles to lock down small quick defenders and with our land of giants back 6 that's a big part of his role.

He was originally picked up by us as a mid. But Woosh has shown no inclination to even rotate him through there. So his spot appears as a defender and he has clear weaknesses in that role given his just ok one on one defensive skills and his average pace. This is exacerbated by current game styles "sling shot footy" which exposé slowish defenders on quicker forwards.

No doubt, my feeling is that he doesn't rotate through the midfield simply because his body is too fragile, which obviously limits him.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds WAFL/WAFL Reserves Thread 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back