2nds WAFL/WAFL Reserves Thread 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Butler should be kept purely as depth next year much like Brett Jones was in his later years. Is half decent and has experience but not quite good enough for top 22 anymore

If Butler's comfortable with that, I like that idea a lot. Smith and Wilson need game time and it isn't going to come at the expense of Hurn and Waters who are walk-up starts if fit and in form.

If Butler's comfortable with that, I like that idea a lot. Smith and Wilson need game time and it isn't going to come at the expense of Hurn and Waters who are walk-up starts if fit and in form.

Smith doesn't need game time. What he needs is a ticket back home to Melbourne.

Butler should be kept purely as depth next year much like Brett Jones was in his later years. Is half decent and has experience but not quite good enough for top 22 anymore

Depth? Flush as many players out as we can in my opinion. Butler isn't a need. What's his role? One of those middle of nowhere players. I would get rid of him and bring a kid in.

MC did a great job turning list over 08-2010. We stalled in that, time to give young players more game time. Playing butler doesn't achieve anything. Carter wouldn't have gotten a game if there were no injuries but we are rewarded. Someone who can actually play on smalls.

Depth? Flush as many players out as we can in my opinion. Butler isn't a need. What's his role? One of those middle of nowhere players. I would get rid of him and bring a kid in.
So next year when we have a whole heap of suspect late picks on minimum 2 year contracts, who do we delist? A player we actually want?

You're kidding yourself if you don't think clubs retain the best of the depth players to stagger contracts and delistings.

Whether Butler falls into this category is debatable, but the suggestion we should "flush out as many players as we can" is a pretty misleading premise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What role was he playing? Overseas atm so need to whore off other people's observations. :thumbsu:

Seemed to be playing on ball for most of the game. Fumbled a bit which was probably due to the conditions, but was pretty decent by foot especially late. Contested game still a question mark.

Seemed to be playing on ball for most of the game. Fumbled a bit which was probably due to the conditions, but was pretty decent by foot especially late. Contested game still a question mark.

Fumbling has been a part of his game all season. Good to hear he was on-ball though.

Fumbling has been a part of his game all season. Good to hear he was on-ball though.

In reality, and the bloke I was watching with who played with Shep agreed, his draft ranking did not reflect his ability. Should probably have been a third round player.

In reality, and the bloke I was watching with who played with Shep agreed, his draft ranking did not reflect his ability. Should probably have been a third round player.

I think we hoped he would improve more than he has, he looked to have a high scope for improvement and still does have that scope but hasnt come on as quickly as hoped. For example, Fyfe was a similarly skinny untested kid who had shown glimpses and he really kicked on and made us look stupid. Sheppard could have potentially improved like that.

I think we hoped he would improve more than he has, he looked to have a high scope for improvement and still does have that scope but hasnt come on as quickly as hoped. For example, Fyfe was a similarly skinny untested kid who had shown glimpses and he really kicked on and made us look stupid. Sheppard could have potentially improved like that.

My friend said he was very surprised at the time that Brad went that high. On a positive note, he said that Carter is a bloody good player who we should expect a long career from.

Brad Sheppard was always a top 10 draft pick before the draft.

Was he?

I don't recall there was a great deal of interest in him from other clubs and he was something of a surprise selection.

Concede I may be wrong though

yep, why o why do we do this. like masten at 3, shep at 7, it goes on. what happened to the old days with Kempy at 92

I've always had faith in (and defended) Masten and, as I expected, he has become one of our leading midfielders. I think Sheppard will be a handy role player at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds WAFL/WAFL Reserves Thread 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back