2nds WAFL/WAFL Reserves Thread 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, and he's the only non-tall. How the hell we have managed to nab wonderful KPPs with our second round picks, yet fail with most of our second-round midfield/small picks, is beyond me.

Obviously it has got to do with development just as much as recruitment, but it's still a bit baffling, and kinda makes me wary of our upcoming midfield draft!

What wonderful KPP's have we nabbed with 2nd round picks,in recent history, other than Mackenzie (who, hilariously enough, was selected with a draft pick we received for trading McDougall (an original pick #5) to the Dogs)? I suppose you could count Lycett, at a stretch, but definitely not wonderful, yet. Other than those two, I can't think of any other genuine gun KPP we have picked up second round - throw some names around but, I could be wrong. Tony Notte still makes me cringe. I'm sure there are a few other real average tall selections like Wilkes and Spangher et al. Remember Darling was a priority pick, also.

As for failing with 2nd round mids - have to agree, at least to some degree. S. Selwood was a pretty solid mid-20's pick. Losing Swift, Ebert and Stevens (all 2nd rounders, I think) for nothing also did us no favours. Whilst probably never going to be guns, at least one or two of them would have been consistent role players (with little between bad and good games) to support guys like Gaff/Wellingham/hopefully a gun from this years draft.

Unfortunately it's difficult/rare to get an x-factor type mid outside the 1st round. It really pisses me off that we seem to draft 2nd and 3rd rounders/rookie list players who never really look like forging any sort of career at the top level. So many of them don't even dominate at wafl level. I'm totally with you on being bemused by it. I wish we'd grab some of the mature agers, rather than wafl spuds that have some sort of connection with West Coast hierarchy I really hope Newman can get his act together, though, because he can definitely be a game-breaker. Many an eccentric player have taken more than a few years to mature and become consistent - like Steve Johnson, Matt Stokes, Lindsay Thomas etc. Unless he's seriously a no-hoper mentally, there isn't much to lose when he could be re-rookied or similar. Drafting is a fickle profession haha.

What wonderful KPP's have we nabbed with 2nd round picks,in recent history, other than Mackenzie (who, hilariously enough, was selected with a draft pick we received for trading McDougall (an original pick #5) to the Dogs)? I suppose you could count Lycett, at a stretch, but definitely not wonderful, yet. Other than those two, I can't think of any other genuine gun KPP we have picked up second round - throw some names around but, I could be wrong. Tony Notte still makes me cringe. I'm sure there are a few other real average tall selections like Wilkes and Spangher et al. Remember Darling was a priority pick, also.

As for failing with 2nd round mids - have to agree, at least to some degree. S. Selwood was a pretty solid mid-20's pick. Losing Swift, Ebert and Stevens (all 2nd rounders, I think) for nothing also did us no favours. Whilst probably never going to be guns, at least one or two of them would have been consistent role players (with little between bad and good games) to support guys like Gaff/Wellingham/hopefully a gun from this years draft.

Unfortunately it's difficult/rare to get an x-factor type mid outside the 1st round. It really pisses me off that we seem to draft 2nd and 3rd rounders/rookie list players who never really look like forging any sort of career at the top level. So many of them don't even dominate at wafl level. I'm totally with you on being bemused by it. I wish we'd grab some of the mature agers, rather than wafl spuds that have some sort of connection with West Coast hierarchy I really hope Newman can get his act together, though, because he can definitely be a game-breaker. Many an eccentric player have taken more than a few years to mature and become consistent - like Steve Johnson, Matt Stokes, Lindsay Thomas etc. Unless he's seriously a no-hoper mentally, there isn't much to lose when he could be re-rookied or similar. Drafting is a fickle profession haha.

Ebert was pick 13
We didn't lose Ebert and Stevens for nothing. Ebert got us McInnes, while Stevens got us a pick in the 30's iirc?
Darling may have been a priority pick, but he was still pick 26 which only a couple of years ago was a second round pick for a top 6 team.
An argument could be made that Schoey has done pretty well and he's a big guy (196cm) and he was even latter than Emac.

Hard to say given Garlett was still available at 60 when Hutchings was taken. Given the relative WAFL impact of both him and Colledge, at this stage I'd have preferred we took him with that pick.

You're looking at the evaluation of Garlett's potential (+ indiscrations), vs Colledge/Hutchings/Carter's potential, vs Cripps potential and AFL experience.

Hindsight says it might've been nice for Selwood or Embley to retire prior to the 2012 draft allowing us to use another pick in the draft. Unfortunately, the AFL doesn't allow much list flexibility so the decision couldn't be made on the fly.

Hard to say given Garlett was still available at 60 when Hutchings was taken. Given the relative WAFL impact of both him and Colledge, at this stage I'd have preferred we took him with that pick.

You're looking at the evaluation of Garlett's potential (+ indiscrations), vs Colledge/Hutchings/Carter's potential, vs Cripps potential and AFL experience.

Hindsight says it might've been nice for Selwood or Embley to retire prior to the 2012 draft allowing us to use another pick in the draft. Unfortunately, the AFL doesn't allow much list flexibility so the decision couldn't be made on the fly.

How about Garlett vs Morton with pick 80-something. That's essentially what we chose.

What wonderful KPP's have we nabbed with 2nd round picks,in recent history, other than Mackenzie (who, hilariously enough, was selected with a draft pick we received for trading McDougall
Didn't read your whole post cos it got craaazy near the end.

Alright, forget i said 'wonderful', it was late and I was bored and trying to get a reaction.

Most of the KPPs we have picked up in recent drafts (I'm talking in the past five years) have been, at the very least, solid and promising prospects. Lycett, I dont consider a stretch, and while they mightn't use the word wonderful, I would suspect that almost every other AFL club would be happy to have drafted him at pick 29, and that's given only what he's shown thus far.

Compared to other promising young ruckmen, he's three years younger than Zac Smith, Zac Clarke and Matthew Lobbe. Pending injuries, it's a fair bet that he'll have just as much, if not more, impact on games in three years' time than they have this year.

How about Garlett vs Morton with pick 80-something. That's essentially what we chose.

Not exactly. The trade period closes before the draft. We'd already traded for Morton before the knowledge that Garlett would make it through to pick 88.

We also had the opportunity to delist another player with the aim of targeting Garlett in the pre-season draft, and selecting him with one of the two rookie picks.

Essentially what we chose was not to have a crack at Garlett, despite the opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of enormous, Morton just kicked a goal from the centre square. Perth answers immediately though...

Turns out it was an obvious behind by Cale...

Strong South/ South Westerly breeze.

1/2 Time.

M.Rosa - 21D 11K 10H 8M 0.1G
B.Wilson - 15D 8K 7H 4M
C.Morton -14D 8K 6H 5M 2.1G
A.Selwood - 15D 9K 6H 1M

F.McInnes - 4D 3K 1H 0M 3HO 1.0G
S.Tunbridge - 9D 7K 2H 2M 2.2G
Rosa hasn't been as good as his stats IMO. Lots of touches, no hurt factor.

Wilson has been having a very interesting duel with Stack, who has kicked 2 and looks very dangerous.

Morton has been great, linking up well and using the ball superbly in muddy/slippery conditions.

Selwood has been solid, nothing more, nothing less.

McInnes has been fighting hard in the ruck but needs to get more of the footy.

Tunbridge has been working hard and putting in great defensive efforts.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds WAFL/WAFL Reserves Thread 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back