2nds WAFL/WAFL Reserves Thread 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a fan of shep, he needs to take his opportunities though. I don't mind him getting caught htb when he takes the game on or even the occasional fumbling every now and then, but too often at afl level he goes missing for large (cripps does this also, even more so) periods.

I really think west coast should be giving him an extended run though, take the pressure off in regards to being dropped and let him grow confidence in a specific role. He has the attributes which can damage opposition.

That draft was weird though - had a clear top 6 then a huge drop off (at the time).

Yeah I remember everyone up to Rohan being considered pretty much locks to go top 6 after Butcher fell from grace.
Speaking of which, Butcher seems to have fallen off the face of the earth since a promising first few games. I remember people rating him higher than Darling in 2011...

SUNDAY TIMES " PICK ME "

Brad Dick - Kicked two goals but was well held in the second half
Brad Sheppard - Had 30 touches and carried the ball forward
Jamie Bennell - A crucial target when needed
Adam Selwood - A solid contributor in defence

Not many in the WAFL this week , I reckon if McGovern had not been injured he would be playing in the WCE team now and we would probably be in the eight !!!!

Bennell should debut before seasons end , has been upgraded this week , good to see !

SUNDAY TIMES " PICK ME "

Brad Dick - Kicked two goals but was well held in the second half
Brad Sheppard - Had 30 touches and carried the ball forward
Jamie Bennell - A crucial target when needed
Adam Selwood - A solid contributor in defence

Not many in the WAFL this week , I reckon if McGovern had not been injured he would be playing in the WCE team now and we would probably be in the eight !!!!

Bennell should debut before seasons end , has been upgraded this week , good to see !
liking the bennell upgrade,if he can step up and carter keeps improving our backline wont be a potential weak link and it will be harder for any small forwards to burn us

Loving the optimism, but this is a joke right? :p

Look at the next 5 picks after Masten.
Cale Morton? Poor. Was and still is a delisting candidate.
Jarrad Grant? Has always been very average. Trade candidate for the bulldogs.
David Myers? Okay player, but hasn't done much up to now.
Rhys Palmer? Peaked in his first season, now very average and will continue to be average.
Lachie Henderson? Decent but unspectacular KPP.

Masten was the best of a bad situation, and has become a pretty bloody good player now.

Not disputing that Masten has become decent enough but your list is a little misleading, I mean the next 12 included (in order):

MeEvoy
Dangerfield
Rioli
Ebert
Grimes
Tarrant
Taylor
Rance
Ward

It wasn't a draft devoid of talent and we'd be better off with a few of those players over Masten ....

Not disputing that Masten has become decent enough but your list is a little misleading, I mean the next 12 included (in order):

MeEvoy
Dangerfield
Rioli
Ebert
Grimes
Tarrant
Taylor
Rance
Ward

It wasn't a draft devoid of talent and we'd be better off with a few of those players over Masten ....
Dangerfield, Rioli, Taylor and perhaps Ward are the only ones who'd provide more value IMO.

Having said that, you could do the same for any draft.

Masten wasn't a reach like a Sheppard or Stephen Hill, he was expected to go where he did.

Dangerfield, Rioli, Taylor and perhaps Ward are the only ones who'd provide more value IMO.

Masten wasn't a reach like a Sheppard or Stephen Hill, he was expected to go where he did.

Well, I did say "a few"...

In addition I wasn't attacking the Masten pick just the apparently deliberately misleading nature of the earlier post - the one I was responding to.

On the topic of reaching:

Dangerfield was also considered a reach when Adelaide took him. We apparently didn't pick Jetta or Fyfe cos they were at reach at 7 ...

The secret to building elite lists is nailing as many picks as possible especially you're first & second rounders...

When we have reached we've picked up guys like Shep or Notte or Weedon. When we have gone "safe" we've ended up with safe players like Masten but only one star in NN...

Mitch is an elite kick, better kick than even Adam, but Adam will be twice the footballer.

All the people I talk to who know the Carter's say that Adam will be a million times better.

My query is though, could Mitch still make it at AFL level in his own right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My query is though, could Mitch still make it at AFL level in his own right?

I think he could, wouldn't mind having him on the rookie list. Such a nice kick and seems to read the play well. Spent time at Carlton but didn't play a game from memory.

Well, I did say "a few"...

In addition I wasn't attacking the Masten pick just the apparently deliberately misleading nature of the earlier post - the one I was responding to.

On the topic of reaching:

Dangerfield was also considered a reach when Adelaide took him. We apparently didn't pick Jetta or Fyfe cos they were at reach at 7 ...

The secret to building elite lists is nailing as many picks as possible especially you're first & second rounders...

When we have reached we've picked up guys like Shep or Notte or Weedon. When we have gone "safe" we've ended up with safe players like Masten but only one star in NN...
Fair call. Our drafting has been average at best. No arguments from me. I personally don't think we have turned the list over enough. If your not nailing early picks then having just 3-4 selections is going to make your list go very stale.

No I am not a fan of woodhouse as I have posted a few time. But looking back doesn't do much. having said than -Dangerfield, Rioli, Taylor and perhaps Ward!!!

No a good start to the afternoon, did you have to bring them up.

Haha, I didn't bring them up Ziad!

I'm not singling anyone out in our recruiting department but I do think we have under performed in that area.

I don't know if the issue is with the scouts, recruiters, the methodology or their directives, but there is a lot of room to improve.

I think he could, wouldn't mind having him on the rookie list. Such a nice kick and seems to read the play well. Spent time at Carlton but didn't play a game from memory.

didn't get close to a afl game sadly, the ressies coach at the time loved him for his tagging role an leadership. yet rats didn't rate him... this talk of adam being twice the player as mitch is abit much he could be a outstanding backman while his bro could play off the wing;)

Disagree. I watched him pre-draft. He was always super safe.

Super safe as a guy who could tap to advantage at the very least, the rest of it ie his marking, kicking, running to space and getting enough of the ball always had question marks. Luckily he did develop as hoped.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds WAFL/WAFL Reserves Thread 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back