Watters Sacked - Choco dodged a bullet

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are probably right, but I hope you're wrong. Choco's name keeps on being linked whenever a coach is sacked these days and he hasn't exactly been very active in pursuing it. I'm hoping that he knows he is in demand and is just waiting for a position from the right rather than a rabble of a club like the Saints or Melbourne.

Unfortunately for Choco he's not getting any younger so he'll probably take the saints job if its offered. He probably figures he can't afford to wait for the plum coaching jobs as most of these jobs are going to younger candidates these days.

It would have been great to keep Choco for few more years. Bloody useless Stk. that dysfunctional rabble of a party boy club have screwed us :mad:

I think it's pretty much accepted that Pelchen is a knob, I don't think he left Hawthorn on good terms. DB would be pretty close in this.

But jeez St Kilda make Richmond look like Manchester United. Maybe relocation will be the outcome. Clearly the AFL don't want the 10 clubs in Melbourne and one will probably go over the next few years.

Watters management style was obviously an issue but as a previous poster said he looks as though he was a fall guy. Makes sense to only sack him after the trading season.

Players should pull their heads in as well. Have some respect, typical Gen Y though.

Re Choco, I can never a time when Richmond staff or players have never been in so much demand. Someone like Choco would love the challenge of somewhere like St Kilda. Well paid and with at least a three year deal is pretty good.

Are they that much of a rabble that they just sacked a coach without ALREADY having the replacement lined up? Surely they don't have enough time to go through the proper process at this time. So I think it must be Harvey ( wishful thinking maybe).

A club that is struggling financially sacking a coach who is still under contract 1-2weeks before preseason starts. How bad must it be. What a shambles. Let's see how their membership goes this year (back into the woodwork me thinks).

Are they that much of a rabble that they just sacked a coach without ALREADY having the replacement lined up? Surely they don't have enough time to go through the proper process at this time. So I think it must be Harvey ( wishful thinking maybe).

A club that is struggling financially sacking a coach who is still under contract 1-2weeks before preseason starts. How bad must it be. What a shambles. Let's see how their membership goes this year (back into the woodwork me thinks).

Good point H&S. It had been rumoured a few weeks back that they were going to take this action…so as you suggest this would have been enough time to at least make some discreet inquiries…I certainly hope your right, I also hope they go after Robert Harvey….surely if he's in the running he would be a clear front runner as he's a known quantity to the St's ?

Good point H&S. It had been rumoured a few weeks back that they were going to take this action…so as you suggest this would have been enough time to at least make some discreet inquiries…I certainly hope your right, I also hope they go after Robert Harvey….surely if he's in the running he would be a clear front runner as he's a known quantity to the St's ?
Don't ask me why, but I just have a feeling that Chocco wouldn't buy into being lined up for the role before the incumbent is removed. That he applied for the Melb job shows he's interested in coaching again but it's a gamble to sack the coach now and then start the "process" to find the replacement.

.....But then again they are going to be a basket case next year regardless so I guess they haven't got much to lose.

How nice is it to be watching this go down at another club.

yes they are that much of a rabble.

I don't think they have anyone lined up - but what they do know is that Choco is hungry to coach. That was probably enough for them to take the risk and sack Watters.

The saints are just hoping that something turns up coaching wise...this whole waters saga seems unplanned and/or expected...very ordinary effort from a so called professional organization...

If this is the case then it would be a pretty dodgy move by the replacement by pretending they are going to move on. I don't think their current club would appreciate finding a replacement at this time of the season.

If they did have a replacement lined up then why wait? Move the senior coach on and start as soon as you can rather than interrupting pre-season planning. I'm afraid reading between the lines it's more a case the Saints are that much of a rabble.

I'm hoping because they are that much of a rabble and Choco would have to work with Pelchen, he would turn this down.

If this is the case then it would be a pretty dodgy move by the replacement by pretending they are going to move on. I don't think their current club would appreciate finding a replacement at this time of the season.

If they did have a replacement lined up then why wait? Move the senior coach on and start as soon as you can rather than interrupting pre-season planning. I'm afraid reading between the lines it's more a case the Saints are that much of a rabble.

I'm hoping because they are that much of a rabble and Choco would have to work with Pelchen, he would turn this down.
I agree just had to ask in case i was missing something. Lol. Love the short answer. "yes they are that much of a rabble" Just shows how out of control things are down there. I hope you are right re Chocco.

Pelchen would have to be one of the most over rated people in AFL. I remember there were calls from some to get him to Richmond, pretty sure he was considered and interviewed at some point and then some criticised when we didn't pick him. Very glad he's not at Richmond and hope that Chocco realises that going to StKilda is not a good career move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pelchen would have to be one of the most over rated people in AFL. I remember there were calls from some to get him to Richmond, pretty sure he was considered and interviewed at some point and then some criticised when we didn't pick him. Very glad he's not at Richmond and hope that Chocco realises that going to StKilda is not a good career move.
I also remember when we got Terry Wallace, the same thing was said regarding Hawthorn signing up Clarkson. From both Tigers & Hawks supporters. Boy did we lose out on that one.

It would be funny if Choco liked Mcevoy and Dal Santo, but the saints screwed up by trading em, so now he won't consider going there.

I certainly hope so, I'm amazed that a fella that has been around the block and knows what it's like when there's hear in the kitchen would be so keen to get back in. I actually thought he d browned off in last 2 seasons at pa. This role at RFC suits him to the ground leveraging his wealth of experience to mentor coaches and develop juniors. What the hell would he wanna take the reigns and a twitchy under resourced club for, beats me

If there was genuine belief inside the club that we could push for a flag soon, would that be enough for Choc to stay? Also would raise his value more as well. I know he isn't getting any younger but he is still younger than MM and Sheeds so there is still time for him

TL/DR: Is being a coach in a premiership better than being head coach of a minnow team?

If there was genuine belief inside the club that we could push for a flag soon, would that be enough for Choc to stay? Also would raise his value more as well. I know he isn't getting any younger but he is still younger than MM and Sheeds so there is still time for him

TL/DR: Is being a coach in a premiership better than being head coach of a minnow team?

Don't know about that. But I look at it like this . In 3-6 years RFC should be contenders if not already won.

In 3-6 years St kilda, Brisbane, Adelaide and plenty of other teams will still be 3-6 years away from contention and many others even more away from with GWS/GC powerhouses it attracted to Williams and longer term solutions one would think!

Teams like Hawthorn, Geelong, and others maybe Carlton halfway through rebuilds and the like in 3-6 years

deal is done apparently. just a question of when its announced, according to those in the know on our board.

i'm very interested in what your thoughts on choco are. how has he gone? what was his role? did he have any involvement with the recruiting/draft/list management team? did he have any involvement with the match day coaching team and senior assistants? any major issues? any highlights?

Was just talking to my old man who works next door to a St Kilda supporter with connections.

Apparently the decision to sack him was made a few weeks ago (not sure if Watters knew). They held off until after the drafting period to not derail that whole trading process for the club.

this post is on the money!!!!!

deal is done apparently. just a question of when its announced, according to those in the know on our board.

i'm very interested in what your thoughts on choco are. how has he gone? what was his role? did he have any involvement with the recruiting/draft/list management team? did he have any involvement with the match day coaching team and senior assistants? any major issues? any highlights?
Where is the dislike button. :mad:

Puts us in a shit spot to find a replacement.
What are our options? Voss? Whorsefold?

worsfold is no chance. we'd be chasing him otherwise. for many reasons including his close relationship with trevor

he was given the ultimatum by the missus, its me and the kids or football. he made the right choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back