Watters Sacked - Choco dodged a bullet

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all you tiges fans for the outrage when our senior assistant dean laidley left for Carlton 7 days ago. Cheers to Caro for her article about it too.
All fair in love and war guys.
If (if!) he wants to come to the saints and if (if!) the Saints want him he'll go.

Our club isn't an embarrassment to the league. Yours is.
If someone leaves you, it doesn't matter because you will still be just as much of a laughing stock.
We lose a member of the coaching panel, it matters because we are important to the game, whereas you're not.

Cheers to your useless post.

Thanks all you tiges fans for the outrage when our senior assistant dean laidley left for Carlton 7 days ago. Cheers to Caro for her article about it too.
All fair in love and war guys.
If (if!) he wants to come to the saints and if (if!) the Saints want him he'll go.

Were you angry? Good im glad you were since its 'your' club in question. Since chocco is related to 'our' club, we are now outraged. When you have a toe in the fight you get interested and if not well you don't. Sorry that I didn't ring the afl about Laidley leaving. And frankly that's your fault you didn't sign him up before he left.

Were you angry? Good im glad you were since its 'your' club in question. Since chocco is related to 'our' club, we are now outraged. When you have a toe in the fight you get interested and if not well you don't. Sorry that I didn't ring the afl about Laidley leaving. And frankly that's your fault you didn't sign him up before he left.

Laidley left because he saw the writing on the wall with Watters and jumped ship. Saints didn't bother to stop him because they have no clue what they want to do next.

I don't think Wally is questioning Knights' capabilities, he is talking about the fact that things were pretty frosty between the 2 of them, and possibly still are.

Correct. Also... those two formed part of the shittest period a football club has seen. They may have been club champions, but they were overrated. I want to distance ourselves as much as possible from people that made the club what it was for over 20 years.

tumblr_lznsx71Akw1r3zat8.gif

Not sure what the club could do to stop him, although as I recall, they did tighten the coach movement rules a year or two back after Eddie's whinge.

Best guess, it's more about putting a guilt trip on Choco (reminding him that he's been involved in next years planning) so that if he's unsure about taking the job it might sway his decision. Probably wont mean much, but hey, a 1 or 2% better chance is still worth going for when it costs nothing.

I dare say Dimma has been in his ear too...Along with some pointed questions about if he can attend any more coaching/planning sessions.

Really, due to the timing (coaches are now involved in planning for the coming year) he can't do his job properly until this is worked out. Should the club suspend him without pay until he makes up him mind? If it wasn't that it'd just piss him off/drive him away, I'd say we should.

I considered taking one of their assistants to fill his role, but then I looked them up. :rolleyes:

Our club isn't an embarrassment to the league. Yours is.
If someone leaves you, it doesn't matter because you will still be just as much of a laughing stock.
We lose a member of the coaching panel, it matters because we are important to the game, whereas you're not.

Cheers to your useless post.

I guess you have a real short memory. That final against Carlton must've been very cleansing.

We accepted that people move on from footy clubs as they do every year. Obviously we don't have our own wrinkly arm in the media to cry us a river.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess you have a real short memory. That final against Carlton must've been very cleansing.

We accepted that people move on from footy clubs as they do every year. Obviously we don't have our own wrinkly arm in the media to cry us a river.

We don't mind people leaving. Leppa is coaching Brisbane and we're pleased for him, Choco had our blessing to talk to Melbourne when they came calling.

It's the timing that has us peeved. Once the coaches get into planning tactics (etc) for the new year, then yeah, we have an issue with it. (and don't give us that Laidley crap..If you'd cared you would have had him under contract)

With the Choco situation, I'd be surprised if the officials hadn't already discussed things with him and come to some sort of an understanding. Also don't think they would stand in the way of him taking the Saints job (a step up in name, if not so much in nature) in the end if he rally wanted it - that would just stink up the relationship. Plus the way things work, they would have a fair chunk of the pre-season planned out already, with a back-up plan included, and could cover his loss (in terms of his responsibilities, maybe not his effectiveness/influence) with the plethora of coaches they have these days, at least until a replacement could be found.

The statement from the club is good, because it shows Choco and concerned Richmond fans that they really want to retain him and value his performance, but also carefully worded so as not to antagonise the man himself. :thumbsu:

I just hope he realises the Saints job is a poisoned chalice, and sees the value of staying the course with a club on the way up.

Obviously we don't have our own wrinkly arm in the media to cry us a river.
Stkilda have far more shameful ways of getting their heads into the media.You don't need any particular Journo too sprout your culture.You do it very well yourselves.:rolleyes:

Hey, what is the contract term that lets assistants terminate the contract early?

Is it just "where there is an offer from another club that is a clear promotion on the current position the coach may terminate the contract early"?

Are there any caveats?

I suggest you don't pursue this line of comment on our board

I have a really short memory. Who did the Saints play in the finals? Also, did you get within 10 goals of us last time we played? I can't quite remember. At least if you get Choco you might win a game and maybe finish above GWS next year before they fly past you. How many 1st rounders have you wasted lately? Got 3 for us to lol at this year. :D

The truth is in real life people are free to quit one job and start another. I've done it a bunch of times. So I wont be upset at Williams if he chooses to go. Personally I would question if it's a good idea to go to St Kilda, but that's his choice to make.

There may well be clauses in his contract that prevent him from taking the job, and the RFC may choose to enforce them (or more to the point sue him for breach of contract I suppose). But if we do keep him at the RFC 'against his will', it's not likely to be a very happy coaching environment at Richmond next year.

The bottom line is St Kilda are only trying their best to get a good coach. Bagging their supporters wont change that. But like I said earlier, I think the Saints are back in Richmond territory circa 15 years ago when we appointed Frawley. I don't think the St Kilda job will appeal to Williams when (like others said) there may well be plum jobs on the radar in 12-24 months. The safest option for St Kilda is to appoint Harvey as coach, which will buy him at least 2 years of invulnerability from sacking. And at the same time try to get some experienced names around him to babysit, for example Ayres or Pagan or someone like that. Shit, i'm only half joking when I say you could add Frawley or Wallace to that list.

I don't think St Kilda are going to be very good for some time. A proper rebuild will take 3-4 years to see genuine improvement. A half-arsed rebuild will see them just tread water, and they aren't very good anymore anyhow. Williams would want to be on decent coin to take the job under these circumstances, and also get a commitment to 5 years to prevent him being sacked part way through. Maybe he will see it as money for jam. Or maybe he will see it as not the place to see his coaching record trashed in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back