Wayne Carey accusing Westcoast of hiding players/draft prospects.

Remove this Banner Ad

Darling was drafted at the time of Fev's "issues" and so it's natural clubs would be put off another potential bad egg. He and Hurley also had concerns they had peaked early and were either too short/not athletic enough.

Wayne Carey on Triple M speaking about Westcoast's young guns.

"Where do they get...i dunno you hear stories all the time coming out of perth that they hide kids, they send kids into the ahh (gets cut off), they pull kids out of certain school games and stuff like that just to hide them, on the evidence of these players who just bob up for them and become very good players very quickly..(gets cut off)"

talking about the likes of Darling,Shuey etc.

Carey was never the sharpest tool in the shed.
No credibility.
Dunce.
But let him talk because no body is listening.

Lol...Selwood we gave a name that doesnt scream "Im gonna be an awesome footballer"

Darling we made have sex with girls in high school cos we know no other club recruits non-virgins.

Masten we made play shit for 4 years after drafting so it didn't look too obvious what we're up to (Swift is currently on this program).

NicNat was by far the easiest to hide

... behind Jack Watts :eek:

I'm not convinced Darling slipped so far purely based on percieved character issues as many like to suggest.

He was talked up as a sure thing to go to Gold Coast all through 2009, the year before his draft year, then had a pretty average 2010. If you go have a look at the tapes of him playing in the u18's and WAFL that year, some pretty huge deficiencies became evident. Seemed to have stopped growing, still huge but slow as all hell with the turning circle of a truck - iirc it came out he had some fairly hampering groin issues at the time.

Plenty of knowledgeable football watches started to express similar concerns - that maybe he was just a manchild with a nice strut who could ragdoll his much smaller junior opponents.

Put it this way, if clubs still thought he could become a superstar, I get the feeling someone would have taken the punt on him in the first round despite the attitude problems.

This is my way of thinking - But will add a provisso.

Darling was a top 10 pick in 2009 if he was old enough - My theory is that some players take it easy in their second year cause they know they will get drafted.

It happens all the time.
Sydney hid Adam Goodes.
Brisbane hid Simon Black.
Adelaide hid Bock and Rutten.
Port Adelaide hid pierce.
WCE ensured that Darling didn't grow more than 190cm so he could not be drafted as a KPP.
Sneaky bast..ds.
Poor Victorians miss out all the time.

Never mind Darling, take a close look at McInness and Newman who they drafted last year. Both missed considerable chunks of the year, both took longer to recover from injuries than expected. Not saying WC hid them but very convenient and no doubt those were the 2 WC wanted at those picks.

McInness related to Brennan's. Newman went to PSA school which has strong links to WC. Both have been very impressive in preseason and coaches extremely happy with both. And then there is Tunbridge who they drafted after quitting GWS after being a preselection to GWS.

I might be wrong but there were rumours that doctors had long term concerns about the impact of the king hit Darling copped. That certainly never eventuated.

Never mind Darling, take a close look at McInness and Newman who they drafted last year. Both missed considerable chunks of the year, both took longer to recover from injuries than expected. Not saying WC hid them but very convenient and no doubt those were the 2 WC wanted at those picks.

McInness related to Brennan's. Newman went to PSA school which has strong links to WC. Both have been very impressive in preseason and coaches extremely happy with both. And then there is Tunbridge who they drafted after quitting GWS after being a preselection to GWS.

I might be wrong but there were rumours that doctors had long term concerns about the impact of the king hit Darling copped. That certainly never eventuated.

I hear they also hid Marlon Manson.
And North Melbourne hid both Swallow and Anthony (Both West Australians)
Geelong hid Harry Taylor for over 3 years. Another WA lad.
Is there no end to the deception in the West.
But none worse than the hiding of Kalgoorlie boy Eddie Betts by Carlton.
Oh, I almost forgot Gold Coast hid the fact that WA champion Guy McKenner
Would be their first coach for over 10 years. How disgusting is that.

Darling and his management took copies of medical reports and gave them to recruiters, proving he was physically fine (up in his brain anyway) after that king hit. He wanted to be drafted by any club.

Whatever you reckon TOA. :)

Careys only telling us what most people are thinking. There is serious doubts on how Darling slipped through.

I dont know why people are having a crack at Carey he hasnt said anything that isnt true.

No there aren't. As previously mentioned there was the height issue, and his groin-injury riddled 2010 season just prior to getting drafted (which before you jump on, he was still playing footy, but his form and fitness was terrible).

Then he was suspended from school and put in hospital as a result of being king hit at a night club. Really no surprises there.

Careys only telling us what most people are thinking. There is serious doubts on how Darling slipped through.

I dont know why people are having a crack at Carey he hasnt said anything that isnt true.

There are 'serious doubts' about how any number of players slipped down the draft order. I mean we had a thread every other week last year about how good Dyson Heppell is, and he went at pick 8 to the club he supported as a kid. Conspiracy, conspiracy!

The only reason Carey is bringing up Jack Darling now is the early 2012 form of both Darling and West Coast. If we start sliding down the ladder interest will wane and people like Carey will be looking to drum up a story from elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah yes w***ery. I remember him, wasn't he the same one who hid in the loo with his team mates wife? Perhaps if we all look in our toilets we will find future Eagles stars hiding there but I'd hate to think what that w***er is doing in there with them. Moron! :eek:

There are 'serious doubts' about how any number of players slipped down the draft order. I mean we had a thread every other week last year about how good Dyson Heppell is, and he went at pick 8 to the club he supported as a kid. Conspiracy, conspiracy!
Yep, we hid him. :thumbsu:
First in club footy, then the TAC cup, then the Vic Country squad, on the podium holding the Larke medal, then in U18 AA squad, and then at every testing event, medical, and all the interviews at the draft camp.
Dastardly conduct!

Yep, we hid him. :thumbsu:
First in club footy, then the TAC cup, then the Vic Country squad, on the podium holding the Larke medal, then in U18 AA squad, and then at every testing event, medical, and all the interviews at the draft camp.
Dastardly conduct!

And still payed full price at pick 8. Clever bunch.

The WA teams are getting so cocky now that they even write articles about how they hide them and make up stories to go with them......lol

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/13575553/top-draft-prospect-returns-to-geraldton/

One of Australia's most exciting young footballers will have limited exposure at the elite junior level this year after moving back to Geraldton because he couldn't find accommodation in Perth.

Wow didnt realise Perth had no more rooms to rent......busy place.

In all seriousness though surely he could get a scholarship at a good school only the best 16yo in the country?

Rumour has it that Christiansen dropped down the draft order and was overlooked by clubs because his skinfolds were less than satisfactory. Geelong said 'thanks' and the rest is history. If the story is true, recruiters and co have gone nuts. Can teach a bloke to watch what he eats and work hard on his fitness, can't teach a bloke how to read the play and be blessed with excellent ball skills.
WCE saw something in these players (mentioned by Carey) that other sides didn't. No hiding or shifty recruiting.

The WA teams are getting so cocky now that they even write articles about how they hide them and make up stories to go with them......lol

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/13575553/top-draft-prospect-returns-to-geraldton/

Wow didnt realise Perth had no more rooms to rent......busy place.

In all seriousness though surely he could get a scholarship at a good school only the best 16yo in the country?

The elite Perth schools have agreements not to give sporting scholarships.

Nothing to stop a few music scholarships and academic scholarships - who sometimes go to people who aren't too clever.

It's also pretty hard for a 17 year old kid to afford rent. I think Clontarf does have boarding and Neesham is a Claremont man.

White line fever? Maybe the duck is tripping and is confusing his decades. Most recruiters know a fair bit about most talented kids since they are 12 years old.

You can't hide kids too much in this day and age without risking hindering their development.

The elite Perth schools have agreements not to give sporting scholarships.

Nothing to stop a few music scholarships and academic scholarships - who sometimes go to people who aren't too clever.

It's also pretty hard for a 17 year old kid to afford rent. I think Clontarf does have boarding and Neesham is a Claremont man.

Wow so surprised that the schools dont hand out scholarships (as such),

I dont buy into the conspiracy but thought the first paragraph was funny reading considering how good Martin is meant to be.....

Obviously wouldnt rent himself or anything, but would have thought it is of a benefit to the kids to get a solid private school education. I am a public school kid so not going all upper class or anything just that it is valuable.

Other than Darling i dont think WC has gotten any real steals for WA players ect and Freo with Fyfe...but hey not like people are saying Swan was hidden ect at pick 50 odd

Lol...Selwood we gave a name that doesnt scream "Im gonna be an awesome footballer"

Darling we made have sex with girls in high school cos we know no other club recruits non-virgins.

Masten we made play shit for 4 years after drafting so it didn't look too obvious what we're up to (Swift is currently on this program).

NicNat was by far the easiest to hide.

Oh the sarcasm :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Wayne Carey accusing Westcoast of hiding players/draft prospects.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back