Wayne Carey and Corey Mckernan or Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead?

Who is the better pair?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Never?
So what you're admitting to is even if Franklin wins the next 4 Coleman medals, a premiership and a 2 norm smiths, you're not going to relinquish your thoughts.

How anyone can be so bold as to suggest a player as talented as Franklin will "never" get to specific point when they are still at the peak of their powers, I do not know. Unless of course, it does not matter what the said player achieves, because you will not rate it, regardless.

You dont have to be bold to offer an opinion on a footy forum.

Never?
So what you're admitting to is even if Franklin wins the next 4 Coleman medals, a premiership and a 2 norm smiths, you're not going to relinquish your thoughts.

As your post qualifies, unless Buddy steps up to something he's never shown before, he won't be getting near to Carey as a player. I think what C_B was saying is that, in his opinion, that's never going to happen. And it's a fair enough opinion too I reckon. It's unlikely a key tall who relies on athleticism is going to triple his Coleman medal count between 26-30 years old.

IIRC, that was the year Leight Matthews described them on Talking Footy : "If either Carey or McKernan plays well, North are going to beat most teams. If they both play well, no-one can beat North."
I'm fine with that as I've said Wayne & Corey, but Leigh also said he'd never seen a better season from a player after Franklins 08.

I'm fine with that as I've said Wayne & Corey, but Leigh also said he'd never seen a better season from a player after Franklins 08.

Carey's 1998 is the best season I've seen from a power forward, bar none.

No disrespect to Robert Harvey but how he didn't win a Brownlow that year is still a mystery.

Which is all great, but it's just one man's opinion. Certainly if you're only talking about Hawthorn players Dunstall's 1992 was just as good if not better. Or Lockett's 1991. Or Ablett's 1989 or 1993. It's even more amazing when you think he saw a teammate kick 150 in a season too.

McKernan was a behometh in '96 and at his peak was the perfect forward/ruck. He had some shocking years, but Rough hasn't got close to McKernan's best.

Dunno about that. 75 goals in 2008 as a second key forward is pretty damn impressive any way you look at it. His form may not yet have recaptured that peak but he was brilliant that season.

Which is all great, but it's just one man's opinion. Certainly if you're only talking about Hawthorn players Dunstall's 1992 was just as good if not better. Or Lockett's 1991. Or Ablett's 1989 or 1993. It's even more amazing when you think he saw a teammate kick 150 in a season too.
100% spot on, it's all opinion. I don't think the poll is fair as the Hawk pair are only 25yrs of age and haven't finished etching out their careers.
Who knows what is in store? Does Franklin have enough time to kick another 300, 400 or even 500 goals?
Fingers crossed for us Hawk fans.

Geez. Thankfully we're not basing the poll on this.
If the O.P doesn't deem firepower as a criteria, it invites the question why did select two Hawthorn forwards for this poll. A better comparison would be Cox and Natinuie if your looking at overall output. In Franklin and Rougheads best year as a combination, both players were stationed in the foward line. Overall output favours utilities who are blessed with a license to follow the ball as was Mckernan's brief in 1996. It's like comparing a rover to a forward pocket on overall output, the odds are heavily stacked in the rovers favour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the O.P doesn't deem firepower as a criteria, it invites the question why did select two Hawthorn forwards for this poll. A better comparison would be Cox and Natinuie if your looking at overall output.

Cox and NicNat o_O Nah don't get it; shocking comparison to Carey and McKernan. Buddy and Roughead are a significantly better poll option, with Roughy getting on the ball now and again, as McKernan did, albeit not as much, but more so recently.

It's really just about watching the players. Forget counting up goals and what-not when Roughead played more forward; McKernan was a beast at his best and Carey was just something else. I don't care how many goals Buddy and Roughy combined for a few years ago, it doesn't make them the better option.

Cox and NicNat o_O Nah don't get it; shocking comparison to Carey and McKernan. Buddy and Roughead are a significantly better poll option, with Roughy getting on the ball now and again, as McKernan did, albeit not as much, but more so recently.

It's really just about watching the players. Forget counting up goals and what-not when Roughead played more forward; McKernan was a beast at his best and Carey was just something else. I don't care how many goals Buddy and Roughy combined for a few years ago, it doesn't make them the better option.
He plays on the ball now but he didn't in 2008. Got another poll for you Judd v Le Cras who would you have?

At their peak one was the best player ever and the other would have had a brownlow compared to a Coleman and a top 10 key position forward
This.
No disrespect to the Hawthorn players mentioned but it really isn't close.
McKernan at his best was a devastating ruckman/forward & is extremely underrated by some on here and Carey of course is regarded by many as one of the very best of all time.

Personally I think Carey's 1996 and 1998 were better than McKernan's 1996.

Carey's 1998 and Corey's 1996 was close.

I rate Carey's 1994 season his best imo.

This.
No disrespect to the Hawthorn players mentioned but it really isn't close.
McKernan at his best was a devastating ruckman/forward & is extremely underrated by some on here and Carey of course is regarded by many as one of the very best of all time.

Agreed.

At their absolute best, McKernan was that far below Roughead?

Na, in his best season McKernan was named the "best" by the umpires, he just wasn't the "fairest".
In Roughead's best season he played 2nd fiddle to Buddy very well....McKernan was definitely not just 2nd fiddle to Carey in 96

At their absolute best, McKernan was that far below Roughead?

Na, in his best season McKernan was named the "best" by the umpires, he just wasn't the "fairest".
In Roughead's best season he played 2nd fiddle to Buddy very well....McKernan was definitely not just 2nd fiddle to Carey in 96
I think people only remember Corey at the end of his career (short memories are far too common on Bigfooty). At his peak he was one of the top players in the game. Roughhead, with all due respect, has never performed at that level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wayne Carey and Corey Mckernan or Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead?

Back