Autopsy We are Jacks complete lack of surprise - demolished after quarter time by Melbourne - the end draws ever closer

Remove this Banner Ad

yell bart simpson GIF

Boys giving a quarter when we need men giving silver dollars.

I‘m convinced Curtis taylor must have tiny hands. Have never seen a bloke double grab the ball as often. Could be an absolute gun, but fluffs his lines most times.
3366CB4A-ADCE-45C6-B99A-73C8083207F7.jpeg

Also, our use of the sub has to be the worst in the AFL.

Subs need to be someone who can come on and provide a spark with fresh legs. Ziebell in recent weeks, Lazzaro today, etc... just absolute terrible usage of the sub role.

Some real positives to take out of that: Ford, Scott, Jy, Archer. LMacs best game for a long time. Add Wardlaw, Powell, Zurharr, Bergman and Comben/CCJ to that side and with a bit of belief and polish we might not be utterly atrocious next year.

Oh I can assure you I did not have a good day. I’m sick of this s**t
Unfortunately I’m so conditioned to it that I knew we’d lose to west coast last week. It’s become expected. It’s upsetting. Our club needs:

A. A clean out
B. A really really good fitness coach
C. A sports psych

Ok, I was ok with Melbourne winning and knocking Port down the ladder because death ride, and I started the game just hoping it wouldn’t be humiliation and disaster like last time.

But when I saw how we can play, it bloody hurts to see us fall away so badly. Glad they played it out and kept the last quarter pretty even, but even so, to put up two ordinary quarters and a lot of disappointing individual performances was a let down after the first quarter. Not in the mood for the glad game.

Last edited:
Defence looked better without L. Young. No slight on Lachie but he’s not up to it. Replace Turner, RHJ, Taylor and Tucker and we might just have the last of being utterly putrid and uncompetitive behind us. Should beat the scum next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We just stopped taking the game on in the second half and reverted back to he kick up the line strategy. Need to be braver with ball movement to win games of footy against quality sides. Hawks showed yesterday if you maintain possession and look for cracks they will appear. Not sure if it is just fitness or the mindset after having lost so many on the trot ... but I'd like to see us take the game on for 4 quarters for the last three rounds.

There was a heap of positives today as there has been in the last 3 weeks. On paper this could have been a hiding but our pressure in the first half was immense.

Highlights
  • Scott
  • LDU
  • Jy
  • Jackson
  • Corr
  • LMac (first half)

I liked Goater’s game, the tools are there.

Jack and Goldy battled hard as well.

We are miles better off than 12 months ago and we just need to stick fat, clear out the deadwood and have a big pre-season. Bails to run every running session!!

I’m pleased. Was pretty numb this morning going into the game and was pleasantly surprised by the game plan and the intent we brought.

It appeared that Clarkson has had the realisation that slow side to side chip does not work. Today you could tell we were trying to move quickly. Ziebell who is a big part of our chip chip style previously was screaming for players to run past. This was a big tick for me and by far the biggest positive of the game.

The pressure and intent was elite early. Ultimately we cannot sustain elite pressure for 4 quarters yet.

They are my favourite for the flag for a reason and were able to clamp down on our corridor use in the second half. Their stars were a big difference - Viney Trac and Gawn turned the tide.

Been hard on our two captains this year but they were both good today and as a result we looked better.

The usual silly mistakes (particularly in the second quarter) which we see every week, although I thought we saw less of them then usual. A side like Melbourne makes you pay though.

Eddie Ford is a player. Thought our midfield played well.

My favourite call of the day, it’s been a low free kick game today with 22. Melbourne 15-7.

The hypocrisy of May bear hugging Larkey being allowed but the calls they made against McKay and Corr as holds shows it’s not them being poor, but choosing to penalise the shit side because they can’t accept the good side made the mistake.

Can't be competitive when the opposition decides to actually start trying. If Melbourne showed up for the first we'd be getting done by 10 goals which would've been what was expected.

Sad predicament. Mentally soft.

A woefully unfit list results in 3 months of losses. We'd be a half decent side if we were fit. If we were fit. So many players aren't but they keep getting gifted AFL games.

As seen in the first quarter we have some of the talent but we need more and most importantly we have to work on our fitness base. With a cean out happening at seasons end these players need to go. Stevo, Turner, Lazarro, Xerri, to start with...Offer Goldy another year and get another ruck...TT can go or stay l dont care but he must improve his fitness if he wants to stay...

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy We are Jacks complete lack of surprise - demolished after quarter time by Melbourne - the end draws ever closer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back