Opinion We Drive to the World Stage in an MG ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Goodbye MG ?

When Peter Ciao, CEO of MG Motor in Sydney, met with the PAFC directors on the day of the partnership launch pre-season 2020, he asked them when was Port going to win its next premiership.

His question was greeted with a prolonged uncomfortable silence.

Ciao was puzzled. He looked baffled. What’s wrong with these people, his face seemed to read.

Now we have supporters leaving home games in the third quarter, booing the senior coach when his booable face appears on the big screen, booing him physically off the ground.

Why? No premiership. No sight of one. Ever.

Worse, we have the senior coach pulling crying games on TV, having won against a bottom side by 2 points, babbling like a kid with a psycho disorder: “I want to be the coach!”

Today Peter Ciao will be wondering what sort of zoo he has signed up with as a partner.

He will be looking for the closest exit. He will be looking to get out.

Goodbye MG ?

When Peter Ciao, CEO of MG Motor in Sydney, met with the PAFC directors on the day of the partnership launch pre-season 2020, he asked them when was Port going to win its next premiership.

His question was greeted with a prolonged uncomfortable silence.

Ciao was puzzled. He looked baffled. What’s wrong with these people, his face seemed to read.

Now we have supporters leaving home games in the third quarter, booing the senior coach when his booable face appears on the big screen, booing him physically off the ground.

Worse, we have the senior coach pulling crying games on TV, having won against a bottom side by 2 points, babbling like a kid with a psycho disorder: “I want to be the coach!”

Today Peter Ciao will be wondering what sort of zoo he has signed up with as a partner.

He will be looking for the closest exit. He will be looking to get out.
My (Port supporting) mate in Sydney recently started working for GFG's Infrabuild division in Circular Quay. We spoke after the Brisbane disaster. He didn't know a mutual friend was working there when GFG first came on board to support Port.

When I hung up the phone I wondered what our sponsors make of all this crap. I figured GFG every 6 months seem to be in the news about financial difficulties so maybe they weren't too phased by all this.

But what about the rest of them, including MG?

My (Port supporting) mate in Sydney recently started working for GFG's Infrabuild division in Circular Quay. We spoke after the Brisbane disaster. He didn't know a mutual friend was working there when GFG first came on board to support Port.

When I hung up the phone I wondered what our sponsors make of all this crap. I figured GFG every 6 months seem to be in the news about financial difficulties so maybe they weren't too phased by all this.

My employer can't get insurance to trade with GFG. We refuse to trade with them on that basis.

My employer can't get insurance to trade with GFG. We refuse to trade with them on that basis.
The irony is, the mutual mate I mentioned in my previous post, told me several years ago, Infrabuild division make all the money, and then it is moved to plug holes in the rest of the GFG in Oz and elsewhere.

Last edited:

Presume we'll hold onto KFC - they don't care, they love it.

Presume we'll hold onto KFC - they don't care, they love it.

My goodness. It’s a symbol of happy-clapping. I won’t be able to eat it again! 😱

Last edited:

“But, hey, look all the STABILITY we have!”

— Sorry, what? I can’t hear you with all this booing going on.

Last edited:
I haven't put any car sale stats in here since the October 2023 monthly sales.

Back then their monthly year on year total, and total year to date compare to previous 12 months year to date, were increasing at 15%+ and they were 6th or 7th highest selling brand in the month and year to date categories. Plus they had at least 1 top 10 model each month.

That MG growth has been halted, just like the whole Australian car market has stalled. Maybe MG will be asking why aren't Port more successful and when are they going to win that premiership and help boost car sales.

In April this year MG were 8th highest selling brand for the month an 9% increase on April 2023, were 9th in total sales year to date and had only increased sales by 2.3% year to date on 2023. Their MG ZS was 10th highest selling model for April with a 7.5% increase on April 2023.

For June 2024, the whole of Oz car sales market stagnated. For June MG were the 11th highest selling brand, unit sales fell from 6,016 in June 2023 to 4,224 in June 2024 and year to date sales MG was 9th highest selling brand with sales decling from 26,692 in YTD 2023 to 24,593 YTD 2024 a 7.9% decrease. And no model made the top 10 monthly sales in June.

A long-forecast slowdown in new motor vehicle sales in Australia appears to have finally arrived, after deliveries declined for the first time in June 2024 following 14 months of consecutive growth, the longest streak in 20 years.
June has historically been the biggest month of the year for new-car sales – ahead of the end of the financial year – and it was no different in 2024, recording 119,659 deliveries.

However, sales were down 4.2 per cent on the same month last year – and down 8.9 per cent on the all-time June record, set in 2017 with 134,171 deliveries – in a month that saw the Ford Ranger remain the top-selling new vehicle.

Industry analysts have long warned of an imminent slowdown in new vehicle sales, citing reduced showroom traffic – and economic pressures from interest rate rises to inflation.
New cars are only counted as 'sold' in the data once they arrive in showrooms and are delivered to the customer – rather than when the order is placed.

GFG can go **** thrmselves.
They are using us for sportswashing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Opinion We Drive to the World Stage in an MG ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back