List Mgmt. We Got Him! Beams Trade Discussion (Not the Hype Thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Got to love those Collingwood supporters. Now that Greenwood has chosen the Pies they are intent on getting him as cheap as possible. Irony!!

Sure...any suggestion that Collingwood and their vociferous fans would still not want overs for Beams after landing Greenwood in a separate trade is...and I am being kind here...fanciful.

They maybe don't need us for the Greenwood trade, and dont need to bring us in on it, but getting our 2nd pick has more value being it will cost them theirs for Levi. They have their mature mid now.

Other option is North hold firm and maybe request 2 2nd round picks which might bring us into it.

Don't know about the rest of you guys but any of our top end mids, reddo, rocky, zorks or Hanley are just as valuable as beams

Do we really truely believe this?

If we do, then we're not going to get a deal done. I'm sure Leppa and the recruiting staff would be reasonably aware that Beams is a better footballer than anyone currently on our list. I don't advocate selling the farm, but if we believe we have player on our list the equal of Beams, we are no chance to get a deal done and it makes me wonder why figures of $3m+ over 4 years are being thrown around for a guy who is alleged to be the equal of Redden, Rockliff & Zorko.

The only players on our list that would attract offers of more than $500k p.a and a first round draft pick would be Hanley and Rockliff, even then - not every club would offer this.

Beams would have 18 AFL clubs offering him $600k+ and a first round pick in a heart beat, which is precisely what we are doing.

I welcome the Greenwood news, because hopefully it turns out that we can get a 2nd rounder to North for Greenwood, and the Pies end up with Pick 5 and Greenwood for the loss of Beams. Which is slightly unders, but will get a deal done hopefully - as its better than anything we have currently reportedly offered and I don't want to see Beams playing the the Pies next year.

Greenwood is worth a 2nd rounder, but his finish in their B&F has given his short term value a boost - and a timely one for us. Not sure North will agree though. Personally I think Greenwood is just a 3rd string midfield rotation player, not a topliner - hopefully Collingwood don't agree!

Do we really truely believe this?

If we do, then we're not going to get a deal done. I'm sure Leppa and the recruiting staff would be reasonably aware that Beams is a better footballer than anyone currently on our list. I don't advocate selling the farm, but if we believe we have player on our list the equal of Beams, we are no chance to get a deal done and it makes me wonder why figures of $3m+ over 4 years are being thrown around for a guy who is alleged to be the equal of Redden, Rockliff & Zorko.

The only players on our list that would attract offers of more than $500k p.a and a first round draft pick would be Hanley and Rockliff, even then - not every club would offer this.

Beams would have 18 AFL clubs offering him $600k+ and a first round pick in a heart beat, which is precisely what we are doing.

I welcome the Greenwood news, because hopefully it turns out that we can get a 2nd rounder to North for Greenwood, and the Pies end up with Pick 5 and Greenwood for the loss of Beams. Which is slightly unders, but will get a deal done hopefully - as its better than anything we have currently reportedly offered and I don't want to see Beams playing the the Pies next year.

Greenwood is worth a 2nd rounder, but his finish in their B&F has given his short term value a boost - and a timely one for us. Not sure North will agree though. Personally I think Greenwood is just a 3rd string midfield rotation player, not a topliner - hopefully Collingwood don't agree!

These players are people, mate and are people that wanted to be at our rabble.

Accumulatively that is far more important than 1 player.

We aren't trading Pokemon cards or playing Supercoach QAFL_fan. We're talking people here, with relationships at the club and a level of emotional investment and buy-in.

Trading out Redden because you think Beams offers us 15% upgrade or whatever doesn't factor the other hidden costs of such a transaction.

Rockliff and Redden are two kids who the club gave a shot to when no one else would/plucked out of obscurity respectively. They came to the club, became the closest of close mates and have given their absolute all and defied the pre-draft expectaions of the "experts" five fold.

I'm not trading that out for an extra couple of disposals a game. We are offering Beams big money because of the value he would add as a massive addition to our midfield, not as an upgrade on an already very good player earning half the wage.

It's a people business. Look at Beams himself, clearly he loved Collingwood a few years ago, now following a few list management decisions it just isn't the same place for him anymore and he is looking elsewhere. This is the sort of impact trading out a core player like Redden could have. If we lost Rockliff in a couple of years as a result, suddenly that extra 15 percent doesn't look so flash anymore.

In our stage of development, the meat of the trade has to be draft picks augmentented by trading out a seasoned campaigner or two that has given their all, wont be around for our next finals tilt and sees the appeal in a fresh start and topping up their superannuation elsewhere.

Last edited:
I understand that completely, and if they don't want to go - I'd be very very happy with that.

But for us as fans to sit here in our armchairs and say they are all off-limits is a bit silly. For us to suggest they are as good as Beams, is just arrogant and silly. The kind fo thing we should be criticising Magpie fans for.

I know many of our blokes are under long terms deals, and if they don't want to go - great! But we can't sit here as a club and just say 'no no no' when another clubs champion player who is under contract wants to come and play for our club, for no other reason than its location.

I was not querying whether the players wanted to go, I was querying the comment that 'our best 5 mids are all as good as Beams' - which simply isn't true.

I keep seeing Zorko mentioned. As much as I love the Zorks, I'd be jumping on that deal and doing everything I can to convince him to head south. Just not in the same class as Beams, Rockliff, Redden, Hanley and Rich. We get him back in a few years anyway due to the 'go home factor', Eddie will be asking for concessions soon!

I understand that completely, and if they don't want to go - I'd be very very happy with that.

But for us as fans to sit here in our armchairs and say they are all off-limits is a bit silly. For us to suggest they are as good as Beams, is just arrogant and silly. The kind fo thing we should be criticising Magpie fans for.

I know many of our blokes are under long terms deals, and if they don't want to go - great! But we can't sit here as a club and just say 'no no no' when another clubs champion player who is under contract wants to come and play for our club, for no other reason than its location.
Aren't we just mirroring what the club has said?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't matter, we have a ravenous media trying to feed a 24/7 news cycle. They'll run obsolete articles if they have to.

It's even quoting Leppa's tweet, hilariously.

Aren't we just mirroring what the club has said?
I've heard them mention Rockliff and Hanley specifically being off-limits, and I totally agree (if Pick 5 is included!)

Outside a tweet from Lepper, I haven't personally seen other specific names mentioned other than 'our best young talent'

I think our club is being deliberately cautious in specifically stating who is off-limits in case they need to trade one of them to get the deal done.

Would be a funny trade period on here if we just all kept posting "wait and see" every 5 minutes.

There is an element of tribalism you have to expect on a team board. I think on the whole we are maintaining a pretty decent level of rationality and reason in the circumstances.

Outside a tweet from Lepper, I haven't personally seen other specific names mentioned other than 'our best young talent'

Rockliff was mentioned as off-limits in media reports before trade week.

Schwab reported they'd knocked back offers containing Zorko, Mayes, Aish and Hanley.

Leppa's tweeted that Redden is off-limits.

Hope that helps.

I've heard them mention Rockliff and Hanley specifically being off-limits, and I totally agree (if Pick 5 is included!)

Listened to Schwab? You can add Mayes, Aish and Zorko to the list.

I think our club is being deliberately cautious in specifically stating who is off-limits in case they need to trade one of them to get the deal done.
Between Schwabby, Leppa and Warren, they've specifically mentioned the following players are off limits:
Redden, Rockliff, Hanley, Zorko, Mayes & Aish

Not sure if there have been more.

I keep seeing Zorko mentioned. As much as I love the Zorks, I'd be jumping on that deal and doing everything I can to convince him to head south. Just not in the same class as Beams, Rockliff, Redden, Hanley and Rich. We get him back in a few years anyway due to the 'go home factor', Eddie will be asking for concessions soon!

I've only heard Zorko mentioned the once, along with Hanley, Aish and Mayes.

I think the significance of Collingwood asking for Zorko is that he's our best Queenslander. I think when Collingwood asked for those players, they were making a statement rather than a genuine offer.

I actually agree that Beams would be a huge upgrade on Zorko. But I imagine you would agree that pick 5 and Zorko seems like an unnecessarily large amount to give up? I doubt we'd get him back once we'd traded him, at any rate.

Collingwood's interest in Zorko is likely to wane as negotiations go on.

EDIT: As for Redden, it's interesting that Collingwood leaked it overnight and confirmed it the next day. That suggest serious intent, which is slightly worrying.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. We Got Him! Beams Trade Discussion (Not the Hype Thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back