Remove this Banner Ad

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
John Anthony, Gavin Roberts and Nick Lower have joined Fremantle. Antoher Victorian and two South Australians. No KPP's

That's right. Both drafts this year i don't feel too good about. Gavin Roberts sounds promising but recruiters have been scared of him because of his susceptibility to injuries. I don't know why we didn't look for Monaco at our second pick. Not one WA player in the whole draft period, only in trade week.

That's right. Both drafts this year i don't feel too good about. Gavin Roberts sounds promising but recruiters have been scared of him because of his susceptibility to injuries. I don't know why we didn't look for Monaco at our second pick. Not one WA player in the whole draft period, only in trade week.
Yakka ,Monaco was unimpressive ,never looked like it, Roberts looked the part from day one .

Both drafts this year i don't feel too good about. I don't know why we didn't look for Monaco at our second pick. Not one WA player in the whole draft period, only in trade week.

Clever thread title YM but not sure what you're worried about. Our recruiters have drafted plenty of West Aussie's over the last couple of years so obviously they decided that the interstaters offered more and based on the success of the last few drafts I'm happy to back them in.

This time last year there were people saying "who the **** is Barlow" then less than 6 months later he was third favourite for the Brownlow....

KPP's are never going to look impressive next to the quicker, smaller midfielders. But we lack them in our team and didn't get any. Any how Gavin Roberts 20m sprint result at the SA Screening session was 2.85 seconds and he got 13.1 in the beep test. Lightning quick and at 188cm and 80kg's he is fairly well built. Just hope he isn't injured all the time which does happen to certain people.

I actually didn't really see him participate in training that much Salim. All the other potential rookies were out on the field a lot more than him. Menagola was picked by Hawthorn right before us just like Litherland was in the ND.

On another note Australia have just lost the second test. Terrible

KPP's are never going to look impressive next to the quicker, smaller midfielders. But we lack them in our team and didn't get any. Any how Gavin Roberts 20m sprint result at the SA Screening session was 2.85 seconds and he got 13.1 in the beep test. Lightning quick and at 188cm and 80kg's he is fairly well built. Just hope he isn't injured all the time which does happen to certain people.

I actually didn't really see him participate in training that much Salim. All the other potential rookies were out on the field a lot more than him. Menagola was picked by Hawthorn right before us just like Litherland was in the ND.

On another note Australia have just lost the second test. Terrible
Trained well the first week then had some one on one work with Mccartney
and then I think they locked him away
Gutted about the test,end for North I think:(

KPP's are never going to look impressive next to the quicker, smaller midfielders. But we lack them in our team and didn't get any.

But what about Anthony, as per another poster asking the same question? Not to mention Faulks.

Any other KPP we could have picked with our lowly picks (ignoring Darling whom I have no problem overlooking for attitude problems) would almost certainly not have helped us in our premiership window, as they take a while to develop. Look at Houghton, Sibosado, etc.

With the 185-190cm guys we have picked, we have seen with the likes of Fyfe and Roberton how these sorts of players can definitely improve the side in a short space of time. And a short space of time is what we have to win a flag, while Pav and Sandi are still on their game. Glad we didn't use any picks on what would most likely be average/dud talls.

Do you not think that McPharlin and Grover are important to our Premiership window aswell. I prefer the medium midfielders types as well, but if you have a look at what type of players other clubs are drafting there is a lot of KPP's being taken. We just drafted three kids in the ND between 185-189cm's all of which are not expected to play AFL next year and you can't tell me they aren't going to take a while to develop. All players take at least 3 years to find consistency. Gavin Roberts i am happy with and I think he will play a game before Michie, Pitt and Mellington, he is a year older though.

I'm just a bit surprised is all because the club stated that they were going to target KPP's particularly defenders.

Does any one know how Nick Lower went for Norwood this year? He won their B&F didn't he?

Any way, still stoked

Chris Tarrant + pick 44 FOR pick 43 + pick 55 + John Anthony

That's how the trade should be re-written. It's good to finally get one back off Collingwood.

Do you not think that McPharlin and Grover are important to our Premiership window aswell. I prefer the medium midfielders types as well, but if you have a look at what type of players other clubs are drafting there is a lot of KPP's being taken. We just drafted three kids in the ND between 185-189cm's all of which are not expected to play AFL next year and you can't tell me they aren't going to take a while to develop. All players take at least 3 years to find consistency. Gavin Roberts i am happy with and I think he will play a game before Michie, Pitt and Mellington, he is a year older though.

I'm just a bit surprised is all because the club stated that they were going to target KPP's particularly defenders.

Does any one know how Nick Lower went for Norwood this year? He won their B&F didn't he?

That's right he did

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I do think McPharlin/Grover are important. Especially McPharlin, almost as much as Pavlich/Sandilands. Which is kind of my point. We have to build the team to win a flag while McPharlin is still good. We've brought Faulks and Silvagni in as mature age players to fill the key defensive posts, and Sibosado is coming along. Not much else we could do in 2010 to help us for the next few years. We would not be able to draft any key defenders who will be able to help us in McPharlin's career timeframe.

All young players take time to find consistency, but the smaller/running types are able to have greater impact in a shorter timeframe and improve the team. The likes of Fyfe, Roberton, Morabito have not reached their potential, but they are still an integral part of our side. Talls waiting to find their feet are nowhere near as useful in the immediate future.

Trained well the first week then had some one on one work with Mccartney
and then I think they locked him away
Gutted about the test,end for North I think:(

Marcus was the first boy I ever kissed (we were 6 :eek:) and we went thru school together, shame he has done so shizen this year!!

Anyway back on topic: Great gets imo, the Jack one is particulary nice.
I think Lower will be a great depth player and add's some real muscle to our midfield when required - lets be honest we have all mentioned how skinny a number of our recruits thru the last 2 drafts periods are - we need someone like Lower who can get in and under and do a bit of the grunt work and feed the ball out. I like the way we've recuited.

And am happy to trust Salim in his thoughts on Roberts :thumbsu: if Salim says he is a goer I'm happy with that! :thumbsu:

So... where are all those cocky Collingwood supporters who guaranteed us we had no chance of getting Jack?

So... where are all those cocky Collingwood supporters who guaranteed us we had no chance of getting Jack?

I am a Collingwood supporter and I am not cocky and I never said you would not get Jack. Having said that, Jack may have some problems living up to your KPP dream. He has not impressed as a key position player since his VFL days, though to be fair he was underdone last year. Good luck with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

We got the Jack

Remove this Banner Ad

Back