WE NEED QUALITY MIDS

Remove this Banner Ad

I think our midfield has looked good in the pre-season. I'm interested to see how we go with this lot in 2014 before speculating on expensive alternatives.

Im talking about an out and out STAR! An Ablett/Pendlebery/Fyfe/Dander/J.Selwood/Griffen Type of player.

Our Back 6, and Forward 6 are good enough to compete with the best, but i feel our mids is where we need improvement!

Selwood, Shuey, Wellingham, Priddis & Masto are very serviceable.

But i feel we need an out and out star A+ grader to make our midfield competitive. We don't stack up to Sydney, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Fremantle. If we want to finish top 4 we either need Shuey or Masto to totally take the next step and become elite, or need to source that player.

To win a premiership we have to finish top 4 and to do so, we need a midfield that can match it with the best, because we are certainly good enough with our Def & Fwds.

Thoughts?
Ask flamingEMBERS.

Let go? In the same way we "let go of" Judd.

let go in the sense we couldn't offer him the same midfield time Port did, whilst we continued to play people like Embley and ASelwood.

let go in the sense we couldn't offer him the same midfield time Port did, whilst we continued to play people like Embley and ASelwood.
You reckon that's why Ebert left?

He also demanded to be traded to Port, where his name is part of club folklore. Coincidence?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You reckon that's why Ebert left?

He also demanded to be traded to Port, where his name is part of club folklore. Coincidence?

No but I think that was because Port dogged us and told him to only pick them.

I have no doubt that not getting consistent games and in particular missing finals selection made it extremely easy for Ebert to leave. I personally think he would have stayed for one more contract at least if he was getting consistent games.

Not playing him also screwed ourselves at the trade table because port were like "He's not even in your best 22, why would we give you more than pick 30?".

Sorry to hear it didn't work out between you guys.
34si4ig.jpg

No but I think that was because Port dogged us and told him to only pick them.
That's how it works. Would you expect a club to do otherwise?

'We'd love to have you but please, go wherever you like.'

As if he was ever going to go anywhere other than Port.

I have no doubt that no getting consistent games and in particular missing finals selection made it extremely easy for Ebert to leave. I personally think he would have stayed for one more contract at least if he was getting consistent games.
He was out of contract and asked to be traded to him 'home club'.

It's like Yeo coming to WC. Did Brisbane 'let him go'?

Hopefully we play him there..soon

I think we'll see more of that next year, he seems locked into that backline setup. He'll play for bursts through the middle this year and Rawlings has already said publicly the aim is for him to be an inside/out mid. He already has the attributes but he'll probably need this season to be eased into it.

Remove this Banner Ad

WE NEED QUALITY MIDS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back