List Mgmt. Welcome Bailey Smith - officially (and finally) traded to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

After acquiring Bailey Smith, Geelong's 2024 draft order is 45, 57, 75, 93, 111, 129.

We will have to go extremely deep in the draft to fill all the spaces left in our list. I can see Geelong needing to choose 2 or 3 players after all other teams have dropped out. Not unlike last year's draft.

Last edited:
I honestly think Geelong is being a little tight about Smith.

Remember how much we demanded for Tim Kelly?

I think Geelong should throw in a future 2nd or 3rd. I think he is worth that.

Pick 20 or so by itself seems unders for a gun like Smith and is short changing the Dogs a bit I think.

Typical Mackie Behaviour. Wells would not have been this tight.

Geelong Kelly was a lot better than Smith has ever been.

He was a very good player in the Geelong system when surrounded by absolute champions, who was shown up to be no where near good as people expected as soon as he left.

He went to WCE to play a Geelong role only for their midfield to all go down with long term injuries and him having to carry it.

He's been fine for them, his role just changed through necessity.

Love Bowers development this year, also Bruhn. Hopefully this is Clarke’s breakout year, for some in tight smaller, quicker zip and add Smith as bigger inside/outside. I think ruck is an issue but the wild card is actually Mitch Edwards as an athletic ruck coming on later in the year. Ain’t it grand to support a club that wont lie down ?
Clark needs to put on some mass in the pre season. Looks like kid amongst men.

After acquiring Bailey Smith, Geelong's 2024 draft order is 45, 57, 75, 93, 111, 129.

We will have to go extremely deep in the draft to fill all the spaces left in our list. I can see Geelong needing to choose 2 or 3 players after all other teams have dropped out. Not unlike last year's draft.

Don’t tell anyone but they are looking at a kid overlooked by Freo this year called Dawson Wumphries.

I think there’s a good chance Geelong supporters will be a bit disappointed with Smith, at least in 2025.

That’s because (a) he’s not the superstar some think he is and (b) the ACL will be a drag.

We only need to have 36 on the senior list, we currently have 33 - so we only need to add three in the national draft. We could also trade back in like we did to get Holmes.

We have no Cat A rookies so I suspect we'll be much more active in the rookie draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there’s a good chance Geelong supporters will be a bit disappointed with Smith, at least in 2025.

That’s because (a) he’s not the superstar some think he is and (b) the ACL will be a drag.
I think everyone has a realistic expectation of a player coming off a long term injury and having to adapt to a new gameplan…I think he will be fine at the very least it takes some pressure and opposition attention away from the kids to allow them to delvelop at their own pace and frees them up.

When do we stop going Woke again and start listing playing weight again? Lol

View attachment 2145141

Bailey Smith​

#6 Geelong Cats
Age: 23yr 10mth Games: 103 Born: December 7, 2000 Origin: Sandringham Dragons
Height: 185cm Weight: 86kg Position: Midfield, Forward
Drafted: Round 1, Pick #7 2018 National Draft by Western Bulldogs
Supercoach Price: $448,600 Supercoach Profile
AFL Fantasy Price: $752,000 AFL Fantasy Profile
Contract Status: Out of contract at the end of 2025 AFL Player Contracts

Guide only the no 6 was his Dogs number
Contract I'd say is a default when unknown?
Height and weight will be close enough was 185cm and 83kgs first year at the Dogs so 86 kgs is to be expected.

We only need to have 36 on the senior list, we currently have 33 - so we only need to add three in the national draft. We could also trade back in like we did to get Holmes.

We have no Cat A rookies so I suspect we'll be much more active in the rookie draft.
I was under the impression we lost 2 through retirement - Tuohy, Hawkins, and another 7 were delisted - Brandan Parfitt, Gary Rohan, Phoenix Foster, Oscar Murdoch, James Willis, Mitch Hardie and Emerson Jeka. We added Smith last night and there is another Irish import. So I figured we need to find another 7 players. We had 44 players on our list last year. Are you saying we can just have a smaller list this year?

Last edited:

Yep. Upside, but also potential downside on this guy. I am not getting too excited yet.
Also the draft this year was supposed to bat deep. 17 might have landed a good player.
I get the feeling that however it turns out longer term, his first year back after the acl will probably be underwhelming.

I was under the impression we lost 2 through retirement and another 5 delisted. We added Smith last night and there is another Irish import. So I figured we need to find another 5 players. We had 44 players on our list last year. Are you saying we can have a smaller list this year?
We can have 36 to 38 senior listed. We had 38 and can go in with the two spots open

Yep. Upside, but also potential downside on this guy. I am not getting too excited yet.
Also the draft this year was supposed to bat deep. 17 might have landed a good player.
I get the feeling that however it turns out longer term, his first year back after the acl will probably be underwhelming.
I think if we landed a Bo Allen or a Harvey Langford at the pick I'd have some serious concerns. I'm sure history will show plenty of good players taken after our pick but we don't have a crystal ball

Consistently poor disposal. No defensive intensity. Coming off an ACL. Red flags everywhere, absolutely everywhere.

Honestly I will be surprised if this works out for you guys.
Minus the ACL, you could use most of those words to describe Dangerfield early on, even now still..

Defensively, still not the greatest.
Disposal, still very hit and miss.
Goalkicking, well below average.

But the upside is absolute line-breaking, match turning ability... Yeah, I'd take that.

Those late picks will come in post bids and the draft won't have more than 70 picks Max. It will work out to be something like pick 34,44, 60, 62. I expect us to pick a couple of mature agers at the back end again like previous years.

Hey Vdubs

Re: ACL's

Are they structurally stronger after the op and rehab, about the same, or weaker, as a rule?

I would personally like to hold a rookie spot through the SSP so we can see if Conway stays fit through pre season and if he gets injured again add another ruck-but the club will probably fill all spots.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Bailey Smith - officially (and finally) traded to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back