List Mgmt. Welcome Bailey Smith - officially (and finally) traded to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

We can have 36 to 38 senior listed. We had 38 and can go in with the two spots open
So of the 42 we had on the list last year only 38 were considered senior listed. What were the other 4 players. Rookies? I don't mind going with less players. Drafting players at the extreme end of the draft is pretty desperate. The only problem is if we have a run of injuries. Stanley, Cuthrie and Duncan are problematic. Danger will be rested for a bunch of games. Conway seems a year away even if his body holds up, Edwards who knows, and Smith is coming off an ACL.

I think everyone has a realistic expectation of a player coming off a long term injury and having to adapt to a new gameplan…I think he will be fine at the very least it takes some pressure and opposition attention away from the kids to allow them to delvelop at their own pace and frees them up.
Everyone? Hard disagree.

So of the 42 we had on the list last year only 38 were considered senior listed. What were the other 4 players. Rookies? I don't mind going with less players. Drafting players at the extreme end of the draft is pretty desperate.
Eh, we've done quite ok at that end of the draft before. Yes, they are a number of free hits (hence the Jack Martin contract) but I don't hate it.

I think everyone has a realistic expectation of a player coming off a long term injury and having to adapt to a new gameplan…I think he will be fine at the very least it takes some pressure and opposition attention away from the kids to allow them to delvelop at their own pace and frees them up.

Everyone? Hard disagree.
I think there is a bit of head vs heart on this, and of course it depends on how far your memory goes.

Dangerfield was instantly exceptional, and blew everyone away.
Jezza took a year to really get going, but was then fantastic.
Ottens took a few years, and then became quite a different player to who we thought we were recruiting - don't forget, at the time we thought we were getting a CHF.

So of the 42 we had on the list last year only 38 were considered senior listed. What were the other 4 players. Rookies? I don't mind going with less players. Drafting players at the extreme end of the draft is pretty desperate. The only problem is if we have a run of injuries. Stanley, Cuthrie and Duncan are problematic. Danger will be rested for a bunch of games. Conway seems a year away even if his body holds up, Edwards who knows, and Smith is coming off an ACL.
Not going and checking but Mullin, Clohesy, Furphy were 3x cat Bs plus Murdoch and Jeka were cat As.

Eh, we've done quite ok at that end of the draft before. Yes, they are a number of free hits (hence the Jack Martin contract) but I don't hate it.
It is what it is? By staying competitive every year Geelong gets hurt by the AFL equalisation policy. It means we are forced to pick up the leftovers at the end of the draft and hoping that Geelong remains a destination club. We've done well for a decade doing just that so I shouldn't complain.

I think if we landed a Bo Allen or a Harvey Langford at the pick I'd have some serious concerns. I'm sure history will show plenty of good players taken after our pick but we don't have a crystal ball
They won't be around at 20s
Langford potentially top 10, Allen too maybe slides to stay in WA

It is what it is? By staying competitive every year Geelong gets hurt by the AFL equalisation policy. It means we are forced to pick up the leftovers at the end of the draft and hoping that Geelong remains a destination club. We've done well for a decade doing just that so I shouldn't complain.
Well, der, equalisation is a thing and while I get that it has hurt us since 2004, it probably kept us alive up until we cleared our bank debts.

For what it's worth, I do think that the equalisation system basically saved the AFL. We tried a system where money bought flags in the 70s and 80s; it nearly killed the league.

Geelong Kelly was a lot better than Smith has ever been.
Putting All Australians, B&F finishes, Brownlow finishes and whatever other accolades to the side, I still say that Smith's output in the 2021 finals series was at a higher level than anything Kelly has ever produced.

Did you actually watch any of his games? Because at that time he was widely being talked about as one of the absolute best and most damaging players in the league.

Yes it's a small sample size, and yes he hasn't really lived up to the hype since due to injury and other factors, but the level he rose to at that time was scintillating and up there with some of the very best finals performances we have seen. In recent times anyway.

That is the only point I have been trying to make, and if that cracks you up, well goodo.

What's the standard deviation on that normal distribution curve?

Listen punk, I come here to escape that stuff. :D

Lisa Simpson GIF by The Simpsons

I think there is a bit of head vs heart on this, and of course it depends on how far your memory goes.

Dangerfield was instantly exceptional, and blew everyone away.
Jezza took a year to really get going, but was then fantastic.
Ottens took a few years, and then became quite a different player to who we thought we were recruiting - don't forget, at the time we thought we were getting a CHF.

Ottens was never a centre half forward but he was a forward/ruckman which at the time of his recruitment I rang a mate being so excited and told him we've got the player that will allow us to win a premiership. And because of that fact, I clearly remember what type of player he was but he did have one weakness and that was he quite often fell to the ground in a one-on-one marking contest in the forward line which then made him a useless commodity and I told him as much when I stayed backed having a few drinks in the old Fred Flanagan room, with Otters and Kelly coming up after the game to have a chat with members which was very good of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ottens was never a centre half forward but he was a forward/ruckman which at the time of his recruitment I rang a mate being so excited and told him we've got the player that will allow us to win a premiership. And because of that fact, I clearly remember what type of player he was but he did have one weakness and that was he quite often fell to the ground in a one-on-one marking contest in the forward line which then made him a useless commodity and I told him as much when I stayed backed having a few drinks in the old Fred Flanagan room, with Otters and Kelly coming up after the game to have a chat with members which was very good of them.
Gee I bet he was thrilled to hear a fan’s opinion of what he was doing wrong

Gee I bet he was thrilled to hear a fan’s opinion of what he was doing wrong

He thanked me for my input and perhaps coincidentally, after that discussion he ceased to fall to the ground and be out of the contest on a regular basis. And btw way, I also had a chat to James Kelly about a worrying issue which was in 2006 and coincidentally that issue stopped too, so each to their own.

Putting All Australians, B&F finishes, Brownlow finishes and whatever other accolades to the side, I still say that Smith's output in the 2021 finals series was at a higher level than anything Kelly has ever produced.

Did you actually watch any of his games? Because at that time he was widely being talked about as one of the absolute best and most damaging players in the league.

Yes it's a small sample size, and yes he hasn't really lived up to the hype since due to injury and other factors, but the level he rose to at that time was scintillating and up there with some of the very best finals performances we have seen. In recent times anyway.

That is the only point I have been trying to make, and if that cracks you up, well goodo.

Agree rapidfire7: with all said and it was stated recently that prior to this year's 2024 final series that Bailey Smith when still at very young age, was in the top 5 rated finals players in the past 5 years which very much supports your post, well stated and kudos to you!

Consistently poor disposal. No defensive intensity. Coming off an ACL. Red flags everywhere, absolutely everywhere.

Honestly I will be surprised if this works out for you guys.
Geelong will be very pleased if Bailey Smith (only 23yo) regains some of this form + keeps building to elite form.

A year away from footy + he is in excellent physical condition. Roughly 15 months, from injury to 2025 preseason, is lot of extra time to recover from an ACL.

Geelong are prepared to take the risk + with Bailey’s phenomenal training discipline, Geelong’s highly respected culture + a new beginning, there is a lot more going for Bailey than against.

Ok. So just a shameless plug to get my man Ollie into the thread somehow…

But making the early call that we will have the best wing combination for 2025 with Baz and Dempsey. Can’t think of a wing duo who that will be better?

I really don’t see any problems with Smith.
23yo
Elite athlete
Hungry to prove himself
Has the swag required to be a star
His best (eg 2021 Finals) is elite
Best marketing in the AFL
Any discipline issues will be guided by our leadership group and club values
Stick him straight in the guts!!
Suddenly our starting mf is any 3 of Danger, Holmes, Smith, C. Guthrie, followed by Atkins, Bowes, Clark, Bruhn and Clohesy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stewart added depth this season. Does he return to our back line?

Ok. So just a shameless plug to get my man Ollie into the thread somehow…

But making the early call that we will have the best wing combination for 2025 with Baz and Dempsey. Can’t think of a wing duo who that will be better?
I’m interested to see where we play Smith.

Not sure if it’ll be in the middle or on the wings.

He certainly has done his best work on the outside… even if that’s on the outside of a stoppage but not necessarily sitting on a wing.

Keen to find out Chris Scott’s initial thoughts.

I’m interested to see where we play Smith.

Not sure if it’ll be in the middle or on the wings.
Yep. I am sure we are going to here “flexibility” a lot.

But I don’t mind him being eased in on the wing and also rotating through centre bounce. I don’t think he minds either as long as not stuck in the forward line.

To me he is a perfect fit for the “other wing”. We rotated through it this year with 2E/Blitz/Bowes and others and I reckon we benefit from having 2 people own the wings?

Didn’t know where to post this…but was thinking about what number Smith would come in at…given 6 is taken.

And then realised we have some pretty good numbers available. Especially for a year where we currently have first pick as 45.

Picks 2, 3 , 15, 19, 20, 23, 26…

So Bailey gets the first pick (does he go lowest number? Maybe he has a favourite?). Do we see anyone else cycling down with some low numbers becoming available? Each year accross the competition a half dozen people change their numbers. Usually going for a lower number.

I can’t remember a Cats player doing it though?

Does it happen? If so who?

No right answers!

Stewart added depth this season. Does he return to our back line?
That is a good question. Whilst they dressed it up he only moved after a few ineffective games in the back. But our midfleld certainly go better at the same time…having said that it coincided with Danger coming back in the middle!

If they seek Smith as mainly wing then I think Stewart still has MF role to play. Although Knevitt might get a shot in 2025?

The other factor is that Zutrhie improvement is massive and he could keep growing.

I wanted to include Smith in my best 23 for 2025 but thought if I posted my view here it could make the thread take a wrong term and I risked the wrath of cats_09 😳

Is it too early to start a best 23 for next year? I suppose we would normally wait to after the draft but given pick 45 if our first pick (although assume we might try and trade to get an earlier pick!) not a bad assumption to think our best 23 will come from people already on our list post Smith and coming Martin trade?

I have a feeling there might be a squeeze but I will hold off predicting mine. Early hint though…Smith is in!! (And need to do more thinking about Martin

So is everything all neat and tidy in here for when Bailey arrives?
Cushions plumped up, dusting done, fridge stocked? :D
Yes, a Tomahawk steak, crisp baked potatoes, broccolini, wilted baby spinach + a bottle of
1729126572429.png

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Bailey Smith - officially (and finally) traded to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back