Toast Welcome Blake "Sherrif" Acres

Remove this Banner Ad

With all due respect they are “highlights”. After speaking to some saints fans they all say he was played out of position, but then elaborate on the huge distance between his best and worst.

The knock on him is he gets caught holding the ball too much trying to break every tackle and he doesn’t handball enough.
Like a big good looking nick Suban ?

Of course he has weaknesses but I'm hoping with a more settled role and learning from the man himself Nat Fyfe, Acres can lessen the gulf between his best and his worst. At the very least we will have a solid player which is still a win.

Of course he has weaknesses but I'm hoping with a more settled role and learning from the man himself Nat Fyfe, Acres can lessen the gulf between his best and his worst. At the very least we will have a solid player which is still a win.

Yeah I agree. Probably Mundy’s future replacement.

The GOAT will be a good pickup for you guys. As other posters have said, the poor lad was well and truly Cho'd since coming to the saints.
If he's used properly you'll be wrapped.

I see more inside mid than wing, and quite happy to see him roll forward too. Get the beast midfield back into the side. Leave the wings to Hill, Aish, Tucker and the likes, and fast-track Henry and Sturt, and grab Stephens if we get the chance.

Looking forward to meeting up with the Saints during the season.

He has played at a club that has not made finals and he hasn't hit top ten in the Trevor Barker Medal in any year. Thus far in his career it looks like he is the kind of guy who could be a regular at a bottom four club, in and out of the side at a mid ranking club but probably wouldn't get more than a couple of replacement games at a top four club.

But we will see how how goes. Sometimes a new club, new role, new preparation are all transformative.

He has played at a club that has not made finals and he hasn't hit top ten in the Trevor Barker Medal in any year. Thus far in his career it looks like he is the kind of guy who could be a regular at a bottom four club, in and out of the side at a mid ranking club but probably wouldn't get more than a couple of replacement games at a top four club.

But we will see how how goes. Sometimes a new club, new role, new preparation are all transformative.
He was one of thier best players when not played put of position although perhaps consistency may need to improve but i would say there would be some correlation with not having a consistent position on ground so i think you are making a very shallow analysis.

AFL has plenty of players who do better at another club. I also think that his size and run can give us structural flexibility with Fyfe. I He's hitting a nice age bracket for us too.

He was one of thier best players when not played put of position although perhaps consistency may need to improve but i would say there would be some correlation with not having a consistent position on ground so i think you are making a very shallow analysis.

I didn't do any analysis, shallow or otherwise.

The hope is that he does a reverse Crozier

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very amusing that Saints fans are visiting for a little cry. Have a massive problem winning the contested ball, Hannerbury out yet again with injury and Steven gone, but they throw buckets of cash at an outside wingman.... Think they went into shock when they final got a decent player to take the money and say yes.

Absolutely no reason why Blacres (or is it Blakres?) won't have his best footy in front of him.

Was played all over the shop at St Kilda & whilst we haven't exactly been setting the world on fire ourselves, they've been a rabble for a while now & seemingly didn't know what to do with him.

Getting him for a steal the way we did is a huge bonus & I wouldn't be surprised if he gives the Saints a few nightmares in the years to come.

Go get em son!
The more I think about it, we replaced our wingers with Aish and Acres who were played out their nature roles.

Sure, they are not as good as Hill but one of them can cover the impact of Langdon and reduces the lose of Hill.

The more I think about it, we replaced our wingers with Aish and Acres who were played out their nature roles.

Sure, they are not as good as Hill but one of them can cover the impact of Langdon and reduces the lose of Hill.
Is wing really the best position for a guy like Acres? Just seems like he is made for more inside role to me.

I am not asking for a miracle out of him.....

He played 75 games in 6 years for the Saints.

I see him play 75 games for 4-6 years here too. Maybe even get 100-120 solid games out of him.

Then again he could be just a depth player in 3-4 years time if other Outside mids emerge and develop well.....

Saying that. Considering he is around 190cm and 90 kg, He is a solid inside and outside mid. So he can play multiple areas on the ground, which I think will be the main reason he will stay on freos list for a while

I'm not expecting this guy to come over to Fremantle and have a career renaissance and become a football God, because that's just unrealistic and I don't think many fans have those expectations of him. But if Acres can come in, use that body like he's supposed to and bang up a few blokes around the ground, then that's all I can ask of him. Hope he does Fremantle proud.

Is wing really the best position for a guy like Acres? Just seems like he is made for more inside role to me.

Agree. I see Acres as playing inside rotating with Fyfe, Mundy, Blakely, Cerra, Brayshaw, Conca

Put Aish on one wing, and Tucker on the other - with Shilly rotating through. Wilson i'd leave in defense where his long kicking out of defense can get the ball rolling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome Blake "Sherrif" Acres

Remove this Banner Ad

Back