Toast Welcome Blake "Sherrif" Acres

Remove this Banner Ad

Acres Of Upside In Stagnating On-Baller

JORDAN MCARDLE

Recruit Blake Acres is hopeful a fresh start in his home State can reignite his “stagnating” career as Fremantle head into a new era under favourite son Justin Longmuir. And much like the broader focus at his new club, the athletic midfielder will be concentrating on skill improvement after admitting execution let him down in his time at St Kilda. The Dockers acquired the West Perth product in a trade with the Saints which saw Bradley Hill get his wish and have a second stint in Victoria. While he was initially shocked about being offered up with one year to run on his contract, the 24-year-old said Longmuir and football manager Peter Bell made the decision to return to WA an easy one. “I felt like my footy wasn’t going in the direction I wanted it to at the Saints, but Freo had that opportunity with a bit more midfield time,” Acres said. “I had a year to run on my contract with the Saints, but Freo had a three-year offer on the table. The opportunity to come home was also big. “I always wanted to come back home and play for one of the WA clubs, but I wasn’t expecting it to be so soon.” Acres wasted no time making a good impression, finishing fourth in the first 2km time trial. The veteran of 75 games has inherited Hill’s No.9 jumper and is eyeing one of the vacant wing spots left by Hill and Ed Langdon (Melbourne). “I’ll hopefully play on the wing, but if it’s inside mid or forward or wherever, I’m happy to play there,” Acres said. “I feel like the running side of my game is one of my attributes, but I’ve just got to focus on my skills and getting that right.” Fremantle (13th) and St Kilda (14th) ended 2019 with a 9-13 record, separated on percentage. When asked who would challenge for a flag sooner, Acres was confident about his new team. “I’ll back us in every day of the week,” he said. “We’ve got some really good top-end talent in Fyfey (Nat Fyfe), (Michael) Walters and (David) Mundy and guys like that. “We’ve also got a lot of young guys, who are going to take some big steps next season. “There’s no expectation and we’ve got no limitations on ourselves next season. We can do anything if we stay fit.”

I have Coyler in the D Pearce basket - he'll get games, but if we're at the point of needing him - we may be better off taking the hit and playing a kid to develop the future
If this was 2018 yeah fair enough, Play a kid on the wing over him. But in 2019, we had ross Lyon as coach and tried to get a finals spot. We were doing ok for 2/3rd of the season only to drop to 13th.

I don’t even like Colyer as the water boy
You are harsh.
Colyer will be another dud
He might become a dud but far from the worse player that has put on a Dockers or Peel shirt.
Looks like Colyer has put himself into Pole position for no. 1 spud of the year according to Freo posters. I’m not a fan at all but there have been much worse recruits than Trav Colyer who managed 10-11 games in his first year. I think from memory he recorded the fastest speed (for all AFL games) for all our players in one of his games. There were also a couple of pretty decent games of over 20 possessions earlier in the year. He also finished off the season with Peel reasonably well.

I’m willing to give him another chance but he will need to have a massive pre-season and show a bit more than he has. We have shown a willingness to cut players (and coaches) with 1-year remaining on their contracts.
Point is Langdon and Brad Hill were traded out, Coyler moves up the pecking order.

Stephen Hill, Aish, Coyler, Walters and Blake Acres are experienced blokes that can play on a wing.

Giro, Cerra and Henry are kids that can play on a wing too. So there are choices.

But Back on the topic..... Acres had a solid game on the weekend. Mind you it was a pre season game vs Carlton in Mandurah.

He is another bloke that is 193 cm and 90 odd kilos. The Bloke averages 17 disposals a game. I am not expecting him to do a fyfe and get 2 brownlow medals in 6 years.

The bloke has played a lot of games in the last 4 years So I am suprised he was part of the package in the Brad Hill trade.

Just scrolling on his 2017 stats. He got some good games that year and got a lot of 20-25 disposal games. and he kicked 11 games and 4 behinds that year too.

Then 2 late season games stood out. He got 30 disposals and 1 goal vs both West coast and North and Saints won both those games too.

So it seems we got a handy player to help the likes of Mundy, Fyfe and Blakely in the middle. I dont mind him getting 20 disposals a game. Hell if he can play like he did in late 2017 and play a couple of games where he can rack up 30 disposals then Its hard to complain.

Kram If Blake Acres has some good 25-30 disposal games for freo mid season and he polls a few brownlow votes on the night, Then Alan Richardson is to blame then! :)

But Back on the topic..... Acres had a solid game on the weekend. Mind you it was a pre season game vs Carlton in Mandurah.

He is another bloke that is 193 cm and 90 odd kilos. The Bloke averages 17 disposals a game. I am not expecting him to do a fyfe and get 2 brownlow medals in 6 years.

The bloke has played a lot of games in the last 4 years So I am suprised he was part of the package in the Brad Hill trade.

Just scrolling on his 2017 stats. He got some good games that year and got a lot of 20-25 disposal games. and he kicked 11 games and 4 behinds that year too.

Then 2 late season games stood out. He got 30 disposals and 1 goal vs both West coast and North and Saints won both those games too.

So it seems we got a handy player to help the likes of Mundy, Fyfe and Blakely in the middle. I dont mind him getting 20 disposals a game. Hell if he can play like he did in late 2017 and play a couple of games where he can rack up 30 disposals then Its hard to complain.

Kram If Blake Acres has some good 25-30 disposal games for freo mid season and he polls a few brownlow votes on the night, Then Alan Richardson is to blame then! :)

I'm pretty sure he's not 'helping' Blakely in the middle - he's pushing him out of there.

Yet speaking after the game, Acres was not as satisfied with his performance as the Fremantle faithful were.

“There are a few things I need to tidy up on. We’ll look at that during the week,” he said.

“It’s more of the outside stuff I need to clean up on, more of my kicking. I need to tidy that up a little bit but it’s pre-season so I’ll get to work and try to sort that out before the season.”

Positive - particularly showing disposal quality and ball use is now a bit more of a focus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure he's not 'helping' Blakely in the middle - he's pushing him out of there.
if that's the case that's a good thing. If both acres and Blakley are fighting for he same spot in the 22 then that's a good thing. Both players will train harder for that spot in the middle.

Connor Blakely at best is a solid 20 disposals a game inside mid. Acres offers much more. Can play in the middle helping Fyfe. He can also play on a wing. Hell he is tall enough to play as a 3rd tall in the backline.

I can see him play in a forward flank too.

But if he and Fyfe both get 25-30 disposals each in the Middle, then that has to be a good thing

if that's the case that's a good thing. If both acres and Blakley are fighting for he same spot in the 22 then that's a good thing. Both players will train harder for that spot in the middle.

Connor Blakely at best is a solid 20 disposals a game inside mid. Acres offers much more. Can play in the middle helping Fyfe. He can also play on a wing. Hell he is tall enough to play as a 3rd tall in the backline.

I can see him play in a forward flank too.

But if he and Fyfe both get 25-30 disposals each in the Middle, then that has to be a good thing
I think you are a tad optimistic here. As far as I know Acres has never played as the third tall defender and even if he had, hopefully he is behind all of our actual 3rd tall defenders.

One of the most common notes from Saints fan about Acres was how he was shunted all around the field and not allowed to settle in a position. Hopefully we don't make the same mistake.

Also, Blakely has no problem finding the ball and could easily rack up 25+ disposals a game playing in the midfield.

I think you are a tad optimistic here. As far as I know Acres has never played as the third tall defender and even if he had, hopefully he is behind all of our actual 3rd tall defenders.

One of the most common notes from Saints fan about Acres was how he was shunted all around the field and not allowed to settle in a position. Hopefully we don't make the same mistake.

Also, Blakely has no problem finding the ball and could easily rack up 25+ disposals a game playing in the midfield.
well given the choice if I have to choose one bloke to be in the middle between acres and Blakely, I am choosing acres but narrowly.

I still think Freo can fit both in the 22, especially if Mundy or Conca is out injured.

Again.... Despite losing brad Hill and Ed Langdon, I don't think the midfield is as bad as people think

well given the choice if I have to choose one bloke to be in the middle between acres and Blakely, I am choosing acres but narrowly.

I still think Freo can fit both in the 22, especially if Mundy or Conca is out injured.

Again.... Despite losing brad Hill and Ed Langdon, I don't think the midfield is as bad as people think
I think how well our midfield goes will be entirely down to how AB and Cerra make the step up to full time mids.

If they can continue what was showed against Carlton at a minimum and make a big step up from last year (not uncommon in 3rd year players), our midfield should be ok.

If AB and Cerra dont make a step up to the be the A grade players they were drafted to be as top 5 picks, we'll be trouble

Also everyone thinks I am optimistic about Travis coyler too. Again, losing brad Hill and Langdon means Dockers ain't split for options on the wings either.

Stephen Hill is injury prone. Tucker is solid, acres can play there too. So can Walters too. But that's the experience guys.

As for the youth, Giro is in his 3rd year and just recovering from a knee reco. Cerra can play both inside and outside.

Liam Henry will get games there too.

Again, I will be surprised coyler doesn't get AFL games this year.

I think how well our midfield goes will be entirely down to how AB and Cerra make the step up to full time mids.

If they can continue what was showed against Carlton at a minimum and make a big step up from last year (not uncommon in 3rd year players), our midfield should be ok.

If AB and Cerra dont make a step up to the be the A grade players they were drafted to be as top 5 picks, we'll be trouble
if I was a betting man..... I see Andy Brayshaw being a solid B grade mid that will play 200 games for us.

Cerra I see being an A grade mid in his prime. Again, Freo got him at pick 5 for a reason. Cerra can play both inside and outside.

Which is a similar reason why I didn't mind getting Blake Acres in that Brad Hill trade.

I am gutted we lost an A grade mid in Brad Hill with his outside run. But I don't mind Acres as a solid mid that can play both roles as compensation for the loss of hill.

Last edited:
Also everyone thinks I am optimistic about Travis coyler too. Again, losing brad Hill and Langdon means Dockers ain't split for options on the wings either.

Stephen Hill is injury prone. Tucker is solid, acres can play there too. So can Walters too. But that's the experience guys.

As for the youth, Giro is in his 3rd year and just recovering from a knee reco. Cerra can play both inside and outside.

Liam Henry will get games there too.

Again, I will be surprised coyler doesn't get AFL games this year.
Colyer isn't a winger. I am sure he plays games too but it will be up forward if preseason is anything to go by.

JL has already said Hill will play back.

I expect nothing from Giro off an ACL.

Henry unlikely to have the tank for AFL level wing - especially off a limited preseason. He'll play forward this year.

Colyer isn't a winger. I am sure he plays games too but it will be up forward if preseason is anything to go by.

Henry unlikely to have the tank for AFL level wing - especially off a limited preseason. He'll play forward this year.
The talk of Colyer getting games sends shivers up my spine.

well I thought coyler was a winger. Again that last goal vs Carlton. Coyler scored it from a Counter attack. Don't mind him or Walters playing in a forward flank as a 3rd winger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome Blake "Sherrif" Acres

Remove this Banner Ad

Back