Toast Welcome Blake "Sherrif" Acres

Remove this Banner Ad

Blake was mishandled to an almost comical degree under the Richo regime. He was flicked around just about everywhere on the ground save for key back and his best position, true midfielder. He's deceptively quick, has some nice dukes, and has a knack of waltzing through traffic and then trying to hit the roof instead of a teammate on the lead. Has shown that he can rack it up if given opportunity in the guts. In general though, he's inconsistent, having performances ranging from dominant to excessively mediocre. However there is little doubt that this is because old mate Alan decided the best way to use him was as a wingman, relief ruckman, and forward pocket, sometimes all in the same game. Definitely prone to a regular brain fade but the most important thing for him is getting wedged between Mundy and fyfe so he can take advantage of his skillset. If Longmuir can see this then you have a steal. All he needs to be told is to see ball and get ball, and play on instinct.

He is a totally different type of player to the two we lost in Hill and Langdon , But i think he brings something to the table and is not slow for his size either .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gonna miss Acres, he's a maverick in the truest sense of the word. Often not even he knows what he's doing. He can do some of the strangest stuff in congestion and end up pulling it off somehow, which is part of the reason we nick named him 'The GOAT' (also he has a funny face).

Always thought he could be a big inside mid, but richo never game him the chance. Would love to see him lock down a spot in the centre square for you guys but also not banking on it.

here are some fun highlights, they get better round the 2 minute mark. There's a pretty ridiculous passage v brisbane where he takes if from the half back flank, runs through the middle of the ground which is packed with lions' midfielders, does a pirouette, breaks a tackle, then kicks it sixty metres to riewoldt's advantage who marks and kicks a goal. He was also probably our best player for the first half of 2017 before he got injured, so has massive upside.

good luck!

Someone on the Aish thread mentioned they see similarities with him and Yeo and I could not disagree more (I view Aish as an average player with some upside if played on a wing). Acres however, should he develop appropriately could be similar to Yeo as (unlike Aish) he has the size and strength and overhead ability to cause trouble like Yeo.

Saw Jack Steven pop up a lot too. Will be a different looking Saints midfield next year (albeit Steven missed most of 2019).

What a great highlights package! Seems like one of those players who has gone backwards in his career.

I think he’d be best suited to wing. Hopefully he can get really fit and good to have a marking option on the wing that is also good in congestion

Absolutely no reason why Blacres (or is it Blakres?) won't have his best footy in front of him.

Was played all over the shop at St Kilda & whilst we haven't exactly been setting the world on fire ourselves, they've been a rabble for a while now & seemingly didn't know what to do with him.

Getting him for a steal the way we did is a huge bonus & I wouldn't be surprised if he gives the Saints a few nightmares in the years to come.

Go get em son!

Damn, he is kinda Dustin Martin like.. from the highlights. Just what we need... we can play him anywhere we want.. :cool:

Last edited:
Been watching a whole heap of Blake Acres.

If we can get the best out of him we are going to have one hell of a player for steak knives. Breaks tackles, can kick well, strong overhead and quite quick.

I'm liking this more and more to be honest.

With all due respect they are “highlights”. After speaking to some saints fans they all say he was played out of position, but then elaborate on the huge distance between his best and worst.

The knock on him is he gets caught holding the ball too much trying to break every tackle and he doesn’t handball enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back