Toast Welcome Blake "Sherrif" Acres

Remove this Banner Ad

So he is fully fit?

To think he was going to have a 6-10 week lay off with injury then this stupid virus happened.

Mundy, Fyfe and Blake Acres in the middle has to make us semi decent

I don’t think it does. We still have a huuuuuge talent gulf behind Fyfe in this team.

I don’t think it does. We still have a huuuuuge talent gulf behind Fyfe in this team.

I can't see how a bloke who was thrown in as a sweetener is going to help us rocket up the ladder. He wasn't particularly exceptional at St Kilda and their supporters certainly don't seem to give a shit that he is gone.

Feels more of a Colyer inclusion (a better version at least) to offer some protection to the younger bodies while they develop.

Brad Hill was a much bigger loss to us than Acres was to St Kilda (Hence the draft picks in the trade) and if we aren't in the bottom 4 at the end of the year then Longmuir deserves life membership.

Acres certainly deserves to be given a chance and as long as he is a Fremantle player he deserves our qualiied support but my expectations are certainly not anything more than his 18-20 touches a game with some good games and some frustrating games.

I can't see how a bloke who was thrown in as a sweetener is going to help us rocket up the ladder. He wasn't particularly exceptional at St Kilda and their supporters certainly don't seem to give a shit that he is gone.

Feels more of a Colyer inclusion (a better version at least) to offer some protection to the younger bodies while they develop.

Brad Hill was a much bigger loss to us than Acres was to St Kilda (Hence the draft picks in the trade) and if we aren't in the bottom 4 at the end of the year then Longmuir deserves life membership.

Acres certainly deserves to be given a chance and as long as he is a Fremantle player he deserves our qualiied support but my expectations are certainly not anything more than his 18-20 touches a game with some good games and some frustrating games.
To be fair, St Kilda have had nil exceptional performances from their players since Ross left.
Hannebery is regarded as one of their top midfielders ffs. He has been absolutely gutted with injuries and slow as. That’s about as good as it gets for that mob
New lease of life, moving home and guarantee he ll finally he played in his natural position inside mid/wing. Lots to like.
He can be a raging bull inside along with Tucker to help Fyfe. I like it.

It happens how about Crisp at the pies, Kennedy in the Judd deal, Mcpharlin etc etc.

It happens how about Crisp at the pies, Kennedy in the Judd deal, Mcpharlin etc etc.

Kennedy was pick 3 and McPharlin was pick 10 and both left their original clubs after 2 years.

Crisp, sure but he had only been in the system 3 years.

Acres has had 6 years in the system and is a known quantity. I hope he improves but I am sceptical that he will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kennedy was pick 3 and McPharlin was pick 10 and both left their original clubs after 2 years.

Crisp, sure but he had only been in the system 3 years.

Acres has had 6 years in the system and is a known quantity. I hope he improves but I am sceptical that he will.
To be fair, he has been in a poor system, and poor culture. Forced to ply half forward, half back, Wing. Never found his niche which is inside mid, which is what we need. He finally has his role

To be fair, he has been in a poor system, and poor culture. Forced to ply half forward, half back, Wing. Never found his niche which is inside mid, which is what we need. He finally has his role

Jeremy Howe left Melbourne because he thought he was a Forward not a Backman. If Acres is an inside mid, why hasn't he been a succesful inside mid?

If he was good enough, he would have been played there. As you have pointed out St Kilda has been a basket case for years, good players will shine in poor teams (look at Fyfe / Neale / B.Hill).

People on BF have been screaming about our poor systems for years and now we have a new unproven coach, how do we know our system / culture is better?

There is a lot of unknowns with FFC currently, Acres being a midfield saviour for us is going to be an interesting byline.

Reckon as steak knives he will be more than serviceable.

Hill for Young and Acres is fine by me.

Last year we had a terrible run with injuries and many agreed that the coach had to go and we didn't finish bottom 4. After 13 rounds we sat 6th in 2019.

Now we have arguably the best player in the comp, a fairly healthy list, and many of our early draftees have had enough time in the system to know what it's about.

Nine wins is par for me unless we have to spend the bulk of the season on the east coast. We played one good quarter against the Bombers round one and nearly got the 4 points.

Reckon as steak knives he will be more than serviceable.

Hill for Young and Acres is fine by me.

I agree that he will be serviceable, I just can't see his performance significantly exceeding his current output as others have said they are expecting.

Last year we had a terrible run with injuries and many agreed that the coach had to go and we didn't finish bottom 4. After 13 rounds we sat 6th in 2019.

Now we have arguably the best player in the comp, a fairly healthy list, and many of our early draftees have had enough time in the system to know what it's about.

Nine wins is par for me unless we have to spend the bulk of the season on the east coast. We played one good quarter against the Bombers round one and nearly got the 4 points.

I wish I had your optimism, I can't see us improving on last year partly because of how young we are. Brayshaw and Cerra for instance are hardly going to win us games off their own boot (yet) and very few 1st year draftees come in with immediate impact like a Sam Wlash.

And our injury list probably looks so good at the moment because our medical team haven't been able to get near the players to ruin them for a while (the whole S & C department should be banned from the AFL with our history).

Again, I am going to be brief with Travis Coyler. He will be another Tom Sheridan, Hayden Crozier or Cam Sutcliffe. He will be another role player thats is a tall, skinny mid that will play on either a wing or forward flank or back flank.

I am gutted Ross Lyon is not coaching us because Ross Lyon would of found a way to get the best out of him. Hell I was on the saints board, even some of the saints fans knew had Lyon stayed in 2020, Lyon would of found a way to get the best of Blake Acres. Lyon turned walters around back in 2012 too.

Random thing to what I am going to say next.... When we picked up Griffin Logue I didnt know where in the best 18 he was going to be settled. The bloke is 193 cm and 90-95 kg. I knew he had the talent to make it.

Hell, I remembered his 1st season, he played in various roles. I still remember his only goal for the club, that game in 2017 vs North at Subi. Was a good set shot kick too. But that game is mostly remembered when Shane Kersten kicked the winning goal with 40 seconds left. Logue is now settled as a CHF ot as a 3rd tall on a back flank/back pocket.

One poster on here Said Acres should be competition for blakely in a midfield spot. I said thats a good thing for both of them to fight for one mid spot because that means both players will work hard to be in the best 22.

No doubt the guy has talent. As I said, Acres was averaging 20 odd disposals a game and is known to have 30 disposal games and it results in the saints winning. I would love to see Acres get a couple of 30 disposal games which help end up getting freo a couple wins, that will easily win over the freo faithful.

Fyfe is going to need mids to help freo up the ladder and I can see Acres be one of those mids to help freo.

I have to admit that Acres has been more impressive than I was expecting but I wasn’t expecting much at all. I’d seen games where he shirked the hard ball at both WP and Saints so I’m not a fan. But,...so far he’s been ok and I agree with others that he’ll be serviceable at best.

Getting seriously overrated on this board though.

Again, I am going to be brief with Travis Coyler. He will be another Tom Sheridan, Hayden Crozier or Cam Sutcliffe. He will be another role player thats is a tall, skinny mid that will play on either a wing or forward flank or back flank.

I am gutted Ross Lyon is not coaching us because Ross Lyon would of found a way to get the best out of him. Hell I was on the saints board, even some of the saints fans knew had Lyon stayed in 2020, Lyon would of found a way to get the best of Blake Acres. Lyon turned walters around back in 2012 too.

Random thing to what I am going to say next.... When we picked up Griffin Logue I didnt know where in the best 18 he was going to be settled. The bloke is 193 cm and 90-95 kg. I knew he had the talent to make it.

Hell, I remembered his 1st season, he played in various roles. I still remember his only goal for the club, that game in 2017 vs North at Subi. Was a good set shot kick too. But that game is mostly remembered when Shane Kersten kicked the winning goal with 40 seconds left. Logue is now settled as a CHF ot as a 3rd tall on a back flank/back pocket.

One poster on here Said Acres should be competition for blakely in a midfield spot. I said thats a good thing for both of them to fight for one mid spot because that means both players will work hard to be in the best 22.

No doubt the guy has talent. As I said, Acres was averaging 20 odd disposals a game and is known to have 30 disposal games and it results in the saints winning. I would love to see Acres get a couple of 30 disposal games which help end up getting freo a couple wins, that will easily win over the freo faithful.

Fyfe is going to need mids to help freo up the ladder and I can see Acres be one of those mids to help freo.
Colyer? You’re joking? Ross did try to get the best out of him. He is what is he is, a B Grade at best fast winger. Other then that, he has terrible below the knee handling and doesn’t offer much if he’s not getting tackles and scoring goals at his height.

We overreached with Sheridan, a great runner with meh skills. Sutcliffe was developed to the maximum and Crozier was never going to be anything great. A half back flank... we got maximum of those every draft.

Acres is different. Something about him, returning home and getting dumped in a steak knife trade will change him, IMO. Just chuck him in the middle and never change. St Kilda never did that with him

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome Blake "Sherrif" Acres

Remove this Banner Ad

Back