List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

aroused jimmy fallon GIF

I agree with some of the commentary about Reid.

He needs to forget the umpires exist. Regardless of whether he’s right or wrong, just worry about playing football and let our coaches whinge about it in the media.

In terms of wrestling, he’s too valuable to be wrestling. Let one of our many subpar players burn energy against the opposition’s best. We need him streaming the ball out of the contest.

I’m sure he’ll work this out.

I agree with some of the commentary about Reid.

He needs to forget the umpires exist. Regardless of whether he’s right or wrong, just worry about playing football and let our coaches whinge about it in the media.

In terms of wrestling, he’s too valuable to be wrestling. Let one of our many subpar players burn energy against the opposition’s best. We need him streaming the ball out of the contest.

I’m sure he’ll work this out.
People need to understand his mindset.

He has too options
1. To look to umpire for a free when he gets unfairly treated by opposition
2. To wrestle with the players when he gets unfairly treated by opposition

There is no just taking it for him. If he gets caught high he's going do one of those two things. I don't know and have doubts he can just take it or he can't do neither 1 or 2

People would be more annoyed at 1 then 2

Then he'll play out his prime at Collingwood, Geelong or Hawthorn.

From all reports Harley is very happy with life in Perth and being outside of the bubble. He got sick of the repeated bullshit about him returning to Victoria in the media and was pulled from it for the rest of the year because of it.

If he continues to enjoy life here and Yeo can continue his role as a mentor and friend to Harley as well as getting along well with the next senior coach I don't see him leaving.

He's a country boy and true to his word. If he says one thing and the media questions it, he's the type to double down and say **** you. Sure the club will give him a bit of licence for a few family visits that others don't get but he's already getting major endorsements, ambassadorial roles and sponsorships here in WA.

Then he'll play out his prime at Collingwood, Geelong or Hawthorn.
If he wants to play in front of nobody at the MCG after Collingwood has bottomed out, sure.

Or live in the meth-addled hellhole that is Geelong.

Or get smashed in the head by Gatorade bottles.

From all reports Harley is very happy with life in Perth and being outside of the bubble. He got sick of the repeated bullshit about him returning to Victoria in the media and was pulled from it for the rest of the year because of it.

If he continues to enjoy life here and Yeo can continue his role as a mentor and friend to Harley as well as getting along well with the next senior coach I don't see him leaving.

He's a country boy and true to his word. If he says one thing and the media questions it, he's the type to double down and say **** you. Sure the club will give him a bit of licence for a few family visits that others don't get but he's already getting major endorsements, ambassadorial roles and sponsorships here in WA.
I did note that he looked pretty annoyed with Watson after the Talking Footy interview, where he spent half the time telling him he was homesick and how 'great' he'd look in a Geelong jumper. Even Selwood tried changing the subject.

He hasn't done any AFL media since, and fair enough too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being happy in WA is one thing (and it is a big thing) but Harley won’t stay if we don’t see consistent improvement in our on field performances.

If we don’t look like we’re in a position for long period of contention by end of 2026 I don’t see him staying around for much longer.

He’s a good kid so will likely extend his initial deal by a year or two, but we need to get our shit together and show that there’s a future here that includes on field success, otherwise it doesn’t really matter if he loves WA or not.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Being happy in WA is one thing (and it is a big thing) but Harley won’t stay if we don’t see consistent improvement in our on field performances.

If we don’t look like we’re in a position for long period of contention by end of 2026 I don’t see him staying around for much longer.

He’s a good kid so will likely extend his initial deal by a year or two, but we need to get our shit together and show that there’s a future here that includes on field success, otherwise it doesn’t really matter if he loves WA or not.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He would have known from before he got drafted that hes up for a few years at the bottom. Hes got a long career ahead of him, why would he leave right before we start to rise up the ladder?

There is no chance we are in this position still in 3 years time, its just not possible if the new list manager is even remotely competent

He would have known from before he got drafted that hes up for a few years at the bottom. Hes got a long career ahead of him, why would he leave right before we start to rise up the ladder?

There is no chance we are in this position still in 3 years time, its just not possible if the new list manager is even remotely competent

Sure. Every number 1 pick understands they’re going to the team that just won the spoon, and that does give some tone. But it’s not endless. If we aren’t looking like we’re ready to make a big jump in 2026-27 then he won’t stay.

“There is no chance we are in this position still in 3 years time, its just not possible if the new list manager is even remotely competent”

What are you talking about? We still need to turn over 25 list spots and find 12-15 best 22 that will be high quality to be B22 in a finals team.

You don’t need to look far to see teams that take multiple rebuild efforts- Carlton, Richmind, Melbourne, Essendon.

I’m not sure why you seem to think we are exempt from screwing things up given how much we’ve screwed up in the last 5 years (while acknowledging we seemed to have made better decisions in the last 2 years- still far from perfect though).

If you think getting back into contention is a given, you’re drinking the “we always rebound” west coast bath water, which is the reason we got in this mess. Too many people thinking we can do no wrong becuase we’re the eagles, etc etc.

It’s legit 50/50 that we are finals ready in 2026.

It's interesting that people get annoyed with how he plays, but by the same token I love it coz he's one of the few players we have that truly looks like he cares and throws everything he has at the opposition. We'd be a much better team if we had more players that played like him.

Sure. Every number 1 pick understands they’re going to the team that just won the spoon, and that does give some tone. But it’s not endless. If we aren’t looking like we’re ready to make a big jump in 2026-27 then he won’t stay.

“There is no chance we are in this position still in 3 years time, its just not possible if the new list manager is even remotely competent”

What are you talking about? We still need to turn over 25 list spots and find 12-15 best 22 that will be high quality to be B22 in a finals team.
15 list changes including a heap of picks over the next 2 years is not insignificant.
I dont mean ladder position necessarily when I say we wont be in the same position.
You don’t need to look far to see teams that take multiple rebuild efforts- Carlton, Richmind, Melbourne, Essendon.

I’m not sure why you seem to think we are exempt from screwing things up given how much we’ve screwed up in the last 5 years (while acknowledging we seemed to have made better decisions in the last 2 years- still far from perfect though).
We could screw things up, but natural progression and removing the absolute dogshit from the bottom end of the list will improve general performances. A lot more kids on the list too.
If you think getting back into contention is a given, you’re drinking the “we always rebound” west coast bath water, which is the reason we got in this mess. Too many people thinking we can do no wrong becuase we’re the eagles, etc etc.

It’s legit 50/50 that we are finals ready in 2026.
We dont have to be finals ready, I didnt say that. I said we wont be in the same position.
If we are still bottom 4, then we will have had 4 years of top 10 picks through the door, along with whatever else we picked up.

Do you think any young player around Norths best 22 is thinking of leaving right now? no, they havent moved up the ladder at all but you cant say they are in the same position they were 2 years ago

It's interesting that people get annoyed with how he plays, but by the same token I love it coz he's one of the few players we have that truly looks like he cares and throws everything he has at the opposition. We'd be a much better team if we had more players that played like him.

I think people are asking the world of Harley. Part of it is just frustration with where we are at.

They want him to be a damaging physical midfielder and also want him to be the best two way mid ala Brayshaw.

He’s 19 and is the most exciting prospect we’ve had since Judd.

15 list changes including a heap of picks over the next 2 years is not insignificant.
I dont mean ladder position necessarily when I say we wont be in the same position.

We could screw things up, but natural progression and removing the absolute dogshit from the bottom end of the list will improve general performances. A lot more kids on the list too.

We dont have to be finals ready, I didnt say that. I said we wont be in the same position.
If we are still bottom 4, then we will have had 4 years of top 10 picks through the door, along with whatever else we picked up.

Do you think any young player around Norths best 22 is thinking of leaving right now? no, they havent moved up the ladder at all but you cant say they are in the same position they were 2 years ago

This is what I’m saying- there’s no guarantee we’d even be in position north are in.

We could very easily spend the next two years drafting our next Jarrod Brander/Campbell Chesser.

Rebuilds aren’t sure things. You need to hit 70-80% of all your draft picks, and find some absolute gems, and bargain trades for talent/needs.

There is zero certainty about where we will be in 3 years.

What we are missing is someone/the rest of the team coming along and just pushing over anyone that takes him high. Who cares if we give away free kicks.

This is what I’m saying- there’s no guarantee we’d even be in position north are in.

We could very easily spend the next two years drafting our next Jarrod Brander/Campbell Chesser.

Rebuilds aren’t sure things. You need to hit 70-80% of all your draft picks, and find some absolute gems, and bargain trades for talent/needs.

There is zero certainty about where we will be in 3 years.
Youre accounting for everything going wrong.

If we get B+ players with our 1st rounders the next 2 years, and the rest of our picks are duds, we still will be better off than we are now.

Youre accounting for everything going wrong.

If we get B+ players with our 1st rounders the next 2 years, and the rest of our picks are duds, we still will be better off than we are now.

No we won’t, we won’t have Cripps, McGovern, Kelly, Yeo will be 32.

If we replace them with B graders our future would look extremely poor. Poor enough for a player like Harley potentially looking around and thinking “this mob aren’t going anywhere anytime soon”.

We need to hit every single pick in order for
Us to be looking like a decent team in 3 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back