List Mgmt. Welcome National Draft Pick 7: Hunter Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t be surprised to see both Hunts & Coff play further up the ground next season.

I personally like Hunts in more of an outside wing/half forward spot where he can roll into the midfield & distribute the ball inside 50.

Coff is probably similar as I cant see where he fits in defence with Sincs, Hill & hopefully Highmore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow players on a wing are not ideal. I think his best chance is probably a HFF or HBF/wing hybrid role. I'd play him on the HFF drifting up to the wing which is pretty normal these day but the true wings need a bit of pace and great aerobic fitness both of which are the opposite to Hunts. He was incredible around goals in that Hawks game last year.

Criminally played out of position imo. He is a mid and has hardly played in there his whole career. Zones and Crouch recruitment has stifled his development in his true natural position. He will be a star inside mid when he gets a chance. Just needs opportunity

He's not great at his two way running and needs to up his fitness levels to play as a mid IMO. He could be Sam Mitchell like if he did.

He's not great at his two way running and needs to up his fitness levels to play as a mid IMO. He could be Sam Mitchell like if he did.
Every time Clark has had a opportunity to push his case for the midfield he has been injured - last year with Gresham out and this year with Steele and Jones out.
He also was less than impressive in the 2s when he came back in this time , I only hope all these head knocks hasn't effected his attack on the ball - we need him to become the player we want but atm he has struggled to play constant football and by the way it is no fault of his.

Last edited:
Every time Clark has had a opportunity to push his case for the midfield he has been injured - last year with Gresham out and this year with Steele and Jones out.
He also was less than impressive in the 2s when he came back in this time , I only hope all these head knocks hasn't effected his attack on the ball - we need him to become the player we want but atm he has struggled to play constant football and by the way it is no fault of his.

When he has played mids and got good numbers he has failed to play there the next week which suggests that he's not doing something that they expect. To me that's his two way running and speed/ spread.

When he has played mids and got good numbers he has failed to play there the next week which suggests that he's not doing something that they expect. To me that's his two way running and speed/ spread.
He has the talent to weave his way through packs and the foot skills to hurt teams but as you say he just doesn't tackle and pressure like you want your mids to do , but the most telling thing to me is he is not the contested beast looking at contested possessions which is a big factor who gets the most time in the midfield - He was brought into the side playing as a halfback to get involved in the game and has at times played really well but atm we will not see him again this year most probably and if we do he will be far off ripping a game apart.
I'll be surprised if he is back into 2 weeks as they say - and if he is he will need to go through the 2s and show the form to warrant a senior spot, because atm I really feel Highmore is more worthy of a spot in the backline.

He has the talent to weave his way through packs and the foot skills to hurt teams but as you say he just doesn't tackle and pressure like you want your mids to do , but the most telling thing to me is he is not the contested beast looking at contested possessions which is a big factor who gets the most time in the midfield - He was brought into the side playing as a halfback to get involved in the game and has at times played really well but atm we will not see him again this year most probably and if we do he will be far off ripping a game apart.
I'll be surprised if he is back into 2 weeks as they say - and if he is he will need to go through the 2s and show the form to warrant a senior spot, because atm I really feel Highmore is more worthy of a spot in the backline.

Highmore hopefully does cement a spot but it does make us very tall. I was pretty impressed with Tom's game though and at Sandy he's no slouch gathering the ball off the ground and as a more mid sized defender.

If it does eventuate that Hunter doesn't get back it might be better to get him really right and hit round one fit and in form next year. He must have some psychological trauma after this season. In a perfect world though we get him back in a finals series and he stars because he's come in with his body in tip top shape. The nose shouldn't keep him from training so he might actually not miss a beat.

Criminally played out of position imo. He is a mid and has hardly played in there his whole career. Zones and Crouch recruitment has stifled his development in his true natural position. He will be a star inside mid when he gets a chance. Just needs opportunity

I see Hunts more as a Dal Santo like mid. He’s too good at distributing the ball when his head is up or in some space so he can see oncoming traffic to have him on the bottom of a pack getting smashed.

Crouch is just a ball pig. Hunts will never be that.

Zones is our breakaway pace from a contest… I think people are forgetting how important he is at his best.

I like Hill across HB but the problem with him is in high pressure games against the best he cacks himself too often and becomes a liability defensively which is why he was moved to HF for a few games. Clark’s class and composure compliments Sinclair and Hill’s pace nicely.

Hilly & Sincs are encouraged to hit up that dangerous kick into the corridor. In modern footy if you can find someone in the middle then the ball is as good as guaranteed to end up deep in your forward line.

Defensively I think it’s totally exaggerated that he’s a liability. He’s never gonna be a lock down defender but his pace & defensive pressure are underrated.

He was played at HF to throw Hawthorn out by making Jiath accountable & was just about BOG.

I see Hunts more as a Dal Santo like mid. He’s too good at distributing the ball when his head is up or in some space so he can see oncoming traffic to have him on the bottom of a pack getting smashed.

Zones is our breakaway pace from a contest… I think people are forgetting how important he is at his best.

Hunter has very nice hands in tight and has the Pendles slow down time thing but I reckon if he makes it as a mid it will be a Sam Mitchell type of hard working slow inside mid. The speed and spread is going to always be an issue but if you're good enough you can have others work to cover your deficiencies.

Hilly & Sincs are encouraged to hit up that dangerous kick into the corridor. In modern footy if you can find someone in the middle then the ball is as good as guaranteed to end up deep in your forward line.

Defensively I think it’s totally exaggerated that he’s a liability. He’s never gonna be a lock down defender but his pace & defensive pressure are underrated.

He was played at HF to throw Hawthorn out by making Jiath accountable & was just about BOG.

I feel like if Dal was being coached today he would be wrongly played on a wing like many are suggesting we do to Hunter here. He just needs games on the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like all that but he has that x factor (there you go campaigners) how being two sided and how it opens the field up.

In one highlight he is running through the centre square, looks up and suddenly swings the ball on his left at full speed to a guy on the right wing, 50 metres in the clear.

Not only the use of the non preferred but the awareness and decision making.

Reminded me of Gresh and "that" handball for vision and opening the field up.
Posted this 5 years ago (context, was in relation to his TAC highlights) and it holds true now. His disposal has never been less than first class, he kicks as well on his left than he does on his natural right foot.

He is not quick and seems because of injury over the past couple of years doesn't seem to be getting the move along in his career. Thought he was pretty good second game back on Friday night, not world beating, but building his form nicely, now another set back.

I still feel he is definitely a mid/HFF'er and will eventually get there. His skills haven't gone anywhere, he just keeps getting these break injuries, two to the face, one to the shoulder.

If this forum learns anything from the Seb Ross' or DMAC's is not to write off where a talented player can take his career with a bit of luck. Hell even Mason Wood, with a bit of consistency looks a good AFL seniors player.

Comparing Hunter 2 DalSanto.
One is an elite kick, one isn't.

Are you his dad?
LOL

Not sure his Dad would be calling his son a shit kick. I'm just saying he is a natural inside bang and crash midfielder. That's where he is AGrade. Where he was an AGrader as a junior.

I understand injury has killed any chance of continuality in a mid role. But that's who he is.

LOL

Not sure his Dad would be calling his son a s**t kick. I'm just saying he is a natural inside bang and crash midfielder. That's where he is AGrade. Where he was an AGrader as a junior.

I understand injury has killed any chance of continuality in a mid role. But that's who he is.

FWIW my dad told me I’m a shit kick

He will probably never be inside mid unless he can improve his inside game. He's just not good enough around stoppages and clearances. I hope I'm proven wrong but I've watched him very closely and every time we give him a chance in the middle it's the same story.

He wins the ball ok but it's not the possessions we want from him. look at his last game for Sandy he played midfield all day and was in almost every single CB and didn't win a single clearance there against VFL players. The game before that - same story.

He needs to work on his positioning and movement around stoppages, his power, and using his legs with his first 2-3 steps to avoid or break contact.

He will probably never be inside mid unless he can improve his inside game. He's just not good enough around stoppages and clearances. I hope I'm proven wrong but I've watched him very closely and every time we give him a chance in the middle it's the same story.

He wins the ball ok but it's not the possessions we want from him. look at his last game for Sandy he played midfield all day and was in almost every single CB and didn't win a single clearance there against VFL players. The game before that - same story.

He needs to work on his positioning and movement around stoppages, his power, and using his legs with his first 2-3 steps to avoid or break contact.
Think it was 2020 when he had a bit of a run on the ball and got a few centre clearances. From memory he was solid in there.

I’m bullish about him. He’s got a lot of ability but has had no continuity. If he can go a whole season without any big injuries then his physical stuff should get to a level where he can spend a bit more time on the ball.

He can impact a game anywhere though so even if he never makes as a mid we’ve still got a good to very good player. He’s still just 23 and has only played 63 games.

Think it was 2020 when he had a bit of a run on the ball and got a few centre clearances. From memory he was solid in there.

I’m bullish about him. He’s got a lot of ability but has had no continuity. If he can go a whole season without any big injuries then his physical stuff should get to a level where he can spend a bit more time on the ball.

He can impact a game anywhere though so even if he never makes as a mid we’ve still got a good to very good player. He’s still just 23 and has only played 63 games.

I am bullish too but he's got work to do on that side of his game before he can be slotted into the center. It's not being helped by a lack of continuity and he probably lacks some confidence in the physical side of things atm for obvious reasons.

Agree with gringo here.
Has the slow down thing going on that pendles has
If he could be half of peddles in his prime I'm extremely happy

I'd have Clark in over Billings if that was the last choice

Would love to see him fully fit with an extended run at it but FMD he must of shat in God's cornflakes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back