Universal Love Welcome to Freo- Josh Treacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Treacy ban: Why careless conduct is a more realistic charge than intentional
Headshot of Craig O'Donoghue'Donoghue

Craig O'DonoghueThe West Australian
Tue, 16 March 2021 1:39PMComments
When Fremantle challenge forward Josh Treacy’s striking report at the WAFL tribunal tomorrow night, expect them to argue that his tackle on Brady Grey wasn’t intentional and point to the Perth star slipping to prove their point.

Treacy was charged with intentionally striking Grey during the pre-season clash and the incident was also classified as high contact and medium impact.

Given Grey was concussed, there’s no way of arguing down the other two classifications. In fact, Treacy should be considered fortunate for it to not have been called high impact considering Grey sat out the remainder of the game.

But to suggest Treacy laid that tackle with the intention of hitting Grey in the head ignores the video evidence.
Both of Treacy’s arms are below head height when he starts his tackling action. It is only when Grey loses his balance and stumbles that the Docker forward’s swinging arm technique causes the problem.
Josh Treacy’s arm is below head height when the tackle starts

Josh Treacy’s arm is below head height when the tackle starts
While Fremantle would love to plead not guilty to the entire charge, that swinging arm will make it hard to argue he wasn’t careless, and simply trying to have it downgraded is the most likely result.
Expect Fremantle’s legal team to show freeze frame images of the tackle to highlight the height disparities throughout the split second tackle.
Treacy’s arm remains at the same level, but Grey’s head lowers as he slips

Treacy’s arm remains at the same level, but Grey’s head lowers as he slips
If successful at pleading the charge down to careless, Treacy would then receive a one-match ban instead of a two-game suspension.
But that would only lead to further arguments about how the ban should apply to AFL. Peel’s opening game of the season isn’t until April 2. Fremantle are playing against Melbourne on Saturday and Treacy was tipped to debut.
Treacy makes contact and collapses on top of a slipping Grey

Treacy makes contact and collapses on top of a slipping Grey
AFL and state league rules are clear that players cannot compete at any level until they have served the suspension in the competition the offence occurred in.
Fremantle will most likely argue there are exceptional and compelling circumstances for a different penalty to apply if Treacy is found guilty. The issue of how to adequately apply suspensions across competitions operating under different fixtures has long been a problem.
Beau Maister’s two-match WAFL suspension in 2009 extended into more than a month on the sidelines from AFL due to byes.
Western Bulldog Jack Redpath received an extra week’s penalty in 2018 after playing in a VFL practice match on the same weekend as his AFL team played in round one. Redpath wasn’t eligible to play for the Dogs in round one due to a suspension from the previous season and the decision to play in a practice match cost him dearly.
The WAFL would set a huge precedent if they changed the rules for Treacy and that’s a battle Fremantle are going to find difficult to win.
Thanks Dale.

I find it somewhat a flaw in the grading that high contact is automatically graded as such even if the intent was to make contact a lot lower and the player slipped. He was contesting for the ball after all.

Can't predict the outcome but often the slowed down frame by frame video version is more damning than the vision viewed in real time. Not the case here.

Just seen the footage

Why is Treacy winding up like that? Looked to me like he wanted to punch him (not in the head necessarily but wanted to punch him).

In a beautiful game like ours where anything can change in a matter of seconds you have to put yourself in a good position. I feel like Josh didn’t.

I’ll be surprised if he gets off to be honest.

Also how quickly some people in here seem to forget that Brady Grey was a very honest player. I was sad to see him go.

He's screwed. Initially I thought it was just a tough tackle, but once you focus on the swinging arm you realise it was a pretty shit thing to do. Grey did contribute to it by either ducking or slipping, but that arm is very incriminating.

We should have taken the 2.

WAFL milked Freo into it. Not showing the footage.
Looking like 3 weeks.Wow wee.

The club would have seen the footage. They just didn't release it to the public.

Not deliberate in my book, unless Treacy meant to hit him in the head with his bicep or elbow while situated behind the player in question... which frankly I find laughable.

The tackle and the swinging arm were clumsy, as was the aftermath of the action, which also goes to it being an accidental rather than deliberate.

One week would be a reasonable suspension, two is excessive, but three is definitely overkill IMO.

Hasleby on 6pr tonight reckons he can’t see him getting past the high contact, medium impact grading due to the swinging arm. Similar to the article in The West claiming two weeks down to one would be best outcome.
Hopefully the tribunal see it differently but the grading system takes a lot of subjectivity out of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you watch and just look at what Brady Grey does, you can see he's gone lower across the body and his head goes towards Treacy's knee. I do think the arm swing looks bad, but its not a connection of a fist to the head.

The arm swing can be argued is part of tackling - its generally how its done by players in AFL - a hit to the body in the first action to stop the player in his tracks - its the brutal way of AFL and i've see our young players on the end of it in recent years - but from the vision it looks like its the bulldozing effect after Brady goes low that causes the injury - which in itself might be considered rough play.

Maybe there's a hard connection with the upper part of the arm that doesn't have the same momentum - but it might be seen as a swing and a miss that could have caused a more severe injury, so he might not be able to get it downgraded as careless.

It might depend on how Josh presents to the tribunal.

Yeah it’s not an uncommon way to tackle, seen plenty of players winded by it to the diaphragm at AFL level, just got unlucky that Brady ducked

I think it is clearly not intentional, as his intention was to make contact with the torso/ball. The only problem is the MRP definitions can be illogical and the action of the swinging arm is deemed intentional, and it doesn't matter where he was aiming.

Just trying to knock the ball out then a full body tackle.. then Brady dropped the knees expecting the tackle, must have been taught that by the Weagles.

Yup he got the free kick, next time don’t drop the knees!

Seriously. The dude was trying to jar the ball loose and the ball carrier ducked into it.
Take a look at Dave Mundy tackling someone next time you have the opportunity. A fairer player of the game would be hard to find, but Mundy stiff-arms his opponent right where they are carrying the pill.
You try smash it loose and proceed to wrap the bloke up.
Treacy is, hopefully, going to have a long and storied career littered with annoyances like this.

He ain’t getting off. Swinging arm. Very crude.

He was trying to hit the ball. No way that was intentional. Reckless? Yes. But not intentional. Oblong ball bounces strange directions which means you’re gonna have this type of contact. Fact: Grey had the ball. How do we know that Traecy didn’t hit the ball first and then his fist hit Grey. Do we want players to stop going for the ball when another player has possession?

I think the fact that no player looked concern and no official seemed bothered to report. How does a flagrant foul worthy of a three week suspension get missed by everyone? Answer: It doesn’t.

Glad they’re appealing. Fingers crossed his suspension gets downgraded.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Well said.
I'm going to put this out there early so we can cut the ridiculous comparison to some coward punching 0 premierships no courage player. There is a very clear difference and I wouldn't put it on DanWa to see it being an eagles supporter, but in the instance the BALL IS ACTUALLY INVOLVED and not 15 metres away off the play. One action is in the spirit of the game to get the ball and tackle the opponent, while the other one doesn't even need explaining. So please don't bring it up, or I will quote you, and I will make fun of you. #endrant.

Very silly action by Treacy though, if he keeps tackling like that it will only be a matter of time he gets suspended again. Without a doubt though he had no idea Grey was ducking and he was already instigating the action to crunch him. He must be a scary prospect to have tough nut Brady Grey ducking in front of him.
Think he is very unlucky but probably deserves a week for it.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Welcome to Freo- Josh Treacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back