Universal Love Welcome to Freo- Josh Treacy

Remove this Banner Ad

So O'Sullivan headed the tribunal, but the remainder of the panel is unnamed! Even the media were locked out. Why the secrecy? What are they trying to hide?

How many millions of dollars do we give to this rubbish amateur WAFL organisation each year? Can we please disassociate ourselves from them? I am beyond bitter.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Think it's just the WAFL being the WAFL unfortunately, pure amateur hour. I'd drop any ****s given about the WAFL altogether if it weren't for my family being die hard Swans fans

They own us.

If the WAFC said they wanted $10,000,000 for the license (which might be short by 2-4x) then it's $200 from every member to literally own the club. It would still be at the mercy of the AFL Commission.

Can you imagine a go fund me to buy Fremantle's license? Slowly gathering bucks until the magic number is reached and the WAFC sign over ownership, the really fun finish is if the club chip in a few million at the end to be free of the royalty payments forever more.

There is ZERO chance the WAFC sell the West Coast Eagles though.

The reality is no one should be upset that a 1st year rookie forward isn't going going play for us until Round 5.

But we are Fremantle, a club whose injury lists often resembles a Gallipoli casualty forward, and a forward line assembled of jockeys striving to win the Melbourne cup.

I still love going to watch WAFL games, probably more than going to Optus to be honest. But the way we have been systematically screwed as a club by the wafc... It's not good for my mental health to think of it. If there were any way to play our reserves outside the WAFL we should lobby for that, but it ain't happening in my lifetime.

I still love going to watch WAFL games, probably more than going to Optus to be honest. But the way we have been systematically screwed as a club by the wafc... It's not good for my mental health to think of it. If there were any way to play our reserves outside the WAFL we should lobby for that, but it ain't happening in my lifetime.

Yeah, I'd love to see a national reserves comp, played as double headers to the main match.

The question is, do you play the reserves as a lead in to the AFL game? Or after?

I'm hoping for Josh's sake this whole episode becomes a key formative moment in his playing career.

Josh has all the football potential of a young Barry Hall.

But Josh also swung his arm indiscriminately in that tackle, just like Barry Hall would... and a good player and decent man got seriously hurt as a result.

That is something I don't like at all... matter of fact I hate it.

I compared Treacy to Barry Hall much earlier in this thread, but I also said that Freo don't train thugs, and probably won't entertain Josh staying at the club if he ends up becoming one... I need to stand by that statement because it's the right message to give.

Privately, I have to admit that IMO the five week ban was probably the right decision.

I like Josh a lot.. but putting aside my enormous Freo bias, my disappointment, and my frustration at that decision, Josh has the potential to really hurt somebody if he continues to play like that.

Pav and Hall both had strength, poise, skill and talent... but only one of them won universal respect from players and opponents alike - because only one of them never once to my knowledge swung an arm at anybody, or never ever took pride in his ability to hurt people.

Going by his comments, Josh seems pretty willing to accept the possibility of really hurting people, and that's worrying to me, simply because he's good enough to not need to flatten people like Barry would, in order to win.

You're a very impressive young man Josh... but you're also right on the edge of a slippery slope right now... I encourage you to take the high path if you can, and avoid any thuggish instincts or encouragement you get towards overly-rough play - especially from us lot, cause we're as biased and one-eyed as it gets.

Don't just win games mate - win people's respect as well... it lasts a sh*t-ton longer than your football career will and delivers you twice as many benefits over the long term.

Don't be another Barry Hall - set the bar higher for yourself, cause you're already good enough to acchieve much more than he ever did.

If it can help turn a future Barry Hall, into a future Matthew Pavlich, then five weeks off is a small price to pay frankly.
Are you a Lawyer?😂

I don’t think national reserves is that far away, look at the expanded VFL this season

I think the cost will rule it out. Not only is there the travel etc, clubs would need a minimum 55 on their list to run their own teams in legit standalone reserves comp. I just can't see it happening without a massive rationalisation of the number of clubs.

Yeah, I'd love to see a national reserves comp, played as double headers to the main match.

The question is, do you play the reserves as a lead in to the AFL game? Or after?
Reserves always play before league, but it should be the other way around so league can draw on reserves if required and non selected players can play after.

It would make for tricky stadium bookings though. Just imagine tonight when the Richmond/Carlton reserves game starts at 11pm.

18yo swung his arm in a tackle, hurting a player who had possession of the ball and gets suspended for it. It should have been 2 weeks down to 1 with an early plea - missing 4 games of AFL is the only thing that is a major injustice here.

Can we stop comparing him to either Barry Hall or Andrew Gagf please? This wasn't swinging an arm at an opponent miles off the ball. If any of our players take a swing unprovoked off the ball then we should put them in the bin just like these two should have been.

Other than tweaking his tackling technique there isn't much else he needs to do. Better to address it now than later down the track. Sucks now but I can see him being better for the experience in the long run. As someone else said, it's a good origin story for the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

18yo swung his arm in a tackle, hurting a player who had possession of the ball and gets suspended for it. It should have been 2 weeks down to 1 with an early plea - missing 4 games of AFL is the only thing that is a major injustice here.

Can we stop comparing him to either Barry Hall or Andrew Gagf please? This wasn't swinging an arm at an opponent miles off the ball. If any of our players take a swing unprovoked off the ball then we should put them in the bin just like these two should have been.

Other than tweaking his tackling technique there isn't much else he needs to do. Better to address it now than later down the track. Sucks now but I can see him being better for the experience in the long run. As someone else said, it's a good origin story for the future.

Spot on. All this talk of Treacy and thuggery ... get a grip. I hope he keeps on trying to crunch people (fairly). Have not seen anything malicious in any of his highlights. Just good strong tackles and bumps. This one went a bit astray and is a lesson, but I hope he sticks with what has got him this far. Comparing him to Barry Hall is ridiculous. I look at someone like Charlie Dixon. Nothing wrong with how he plays, and lifts his teammates.

If we haven't learnt that we can't expect "justice" to just happen at any tribunal or official channel over the years, then can we learn anything? There's so much perception and second rate thinking involved, justice is conceptual.

You basically need to single mindedly, as a club, set your flag in the sand early and fight tooth and nail to get the outcome to that or as close to that as possible. Of course, you need to be smart about it and not be belligerent, but there's no sense in compromise for its own sake, because it gets no return.

It's a weird one isn't it, the WAFL have suspended him for an act in their league so it makes sense he serves it under their fixtures. But he also shouldn't have to miss 4 AFL games because they start two weeks later! In the end it was a pretty clumsy act that deserved 1 week.

It's a weird one isn't it, the WAFL have suspended him for an act in their league so it makes sense he serves it under their fixtures. But he also shouldn't have to miss 4 AFL games because they start two weeks later! In the end it was a pretty clumsy act that deserved 1 week.
Needs to be a compromise in that he misses the first 2 AFL games, but is then available for selection at AFL from then on. But he also is suspended for the first 2 WAFL games, so if not selected at AFL, he sits out.
Would be a good prospect as the sub then if not selected in his own right for rounds 3&4.

I think the cost will rule it out. Not only is there the travel etc, clubs would need a minimum 55 on their list to run their own teams in legit standalone reserves comp. I just can't see it happening without a massive rationalisation of the number of clubs.
No much more expensive than running AFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Welcome to Freo- Josh Treacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back