Autopsy Welcome to Freo Liam Henry – Fremantle’s 3rd 2019 National Draft Pick [Match bid Pick #9]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s improved There’s no doubt
But is it all just for self gain or is it to make the team and the club better ?

There has been way more bruise free games in his portfolio than ones where he gets his hands dirty .

Yeh outside player . Blah , Blah ,
He’s well known for shirking the contest .Most wingers still tackle .

Then all of sudden Colin blows smoke up his bum and his game improves , “stuff the club and all the time and effort they’ve put into me , I’m going elsewhere to graze in greener pastures “

Happy if he stays and continues on his trajectory if he truly wants to do the right thing by the club , but won’t be a great loss to me either if he decides to go .
Everyone improves for self gain.

He’s improved There’s no doubt
But is it all just for self gain or is it to make the team and the club better ?

There has been way more bruise free games in his portfolio than ones where he gets his hands dirty .

Yeh outside player . Blah , Blah ,
He’s well known for shirking the contest .Most wingers still tackle .

Then all of sudden Colin blows smoke up his bum and his game improves , “stuff the club and all the time and effort they’ve put into me , I’m going elsewhere to graze in greener pastures “

Happy if he stays and continues on his trajectory if he truly wants to do the right thing by the club , but won’t be a great loss to me either if he decides to go .
"Shirking the contest"? Sounds more a narrative here amongst the familiar names. Can you give some specific examples?

I'm not sure what expectations are for young and slightly built players in the contest though. What are the standards?

Intent's always an interesting topic. Where's this "all of a sudden" come from with his long-term manager providing career-turning advice? He couldn't be adapting to learning a new position with hard work and time in the magoos? Impossible!

It’s not without some irony (yet completely without surprise) that those once so willing to urgently abandon Henry to the scrapheap are the loudest voices screaming betrayal and disloyalty should he even think about leaving.

"Shirking the contest"? Sounds more a narrative here amongst the familiar names. Can you give some specific examples?

I'm not sure what expectations are for young and slightly built players in the contest though. What are the standards?

Intent's always an interesting topic. Where's this "all of a sudden" come from with his long-term manager providing career-turning advice? He couldn't be adapting to learning a new position with hard work and time in the magoos? Impossible!

It’s not without some irony (yet completely without surprise) that those once so willing to urgently abandon Henry to the scrapheap are the loudest voices screaming betrayal and disloyalty should he even think about leaving.
I can’t give specific examples but probably scrolling back through this thread there would be some comments on this .
I coach football and have been around it all my life , slightly built kids can most certainly contest stronger than he has most years to date .

With regard to his potential departure, it’s more the Freo revolving door issue thats irking me
I and most here genuinely know nothing about him or what’s going on behind closed doors , for all we know he could be being pushed out .
Maybe Longmuir is a really bad coach and the players are starting to jump ship ( not my opinion but a hypothetical)

But as mushrooms we can only feed on the manure we are fed and that is that Henry was drafted , was given every opportunity, was nurtured and supported by the club and is now ( potentially) prepared to throw it all back in their face .

It just stinks of entitlement and the boomer in me is being triggered.

Picking his falabiliities is just a coping mechanism I guess

He has only played reasonably well in the last 3 games as he has managed to run as far away from his player as possible to get into space. Understand that is something you want wingers to do to some extent but he has still been badly exposed by his opposing player kicking goals on him (Richmond and Sydney as an example). If you look closely at him he doesn't like to match up on anyone and when he goes into our defensive 50 he is often one of the main guys just pointing at others and not manning up any loose players. Also look at all the good wingers, Josh Daicos, Gulden, Nick Martin, Acres, Langdon, and even McIntosh and Pickett and they are always threats to kick goals, Henry is no threat to getting close to kicking a goal.

He has only played reasonably well in the last 3 games as he has managed to run as far away from his player as possible to get into space. Understand that is something you want wingers to do to some extent but he has still been badly exposed by his opposing player kicking goals on him (Richmond and Sydney as an example). If you look closely at him he doesn't like to match up on anyone and when he goes into our defensive 50 he is often one of the main guys just pointing at others and not manning up any loose players. Also look at all the good wingers, Josh Daicos, Gulden, Nick Martin, Acres, Langdon, and even McIntosh and Pickett and they are always threats to kick goals, Henry is no threat to getting close to kicking a goal.
Acres is never within cooee of his opponent either.

It will be a pretty bad look for Henry if he walks out now. In particular because the rumours were there last year too. Jon Ralph stated a number of times that Henry was interested in leaving last October. Cal Twomey raised his name on trade radio with Young too.
Up until a month ago the guy was just about a bust. Then he has 3 or 4 decent games in a row, cashing in on the 35 odd games of development we have put into him when he should have been nowhere near the team in all honesty.
Now he apparently wants to leave?
It’s a poor look from Liam if true. Would we be willing to match the bulldogs wages? I mean, they have a lot more elite highly paid talent than we have so it’s doesn’t make sense they would be paying him more?

It will be a pretty bad look for Henry if he walks out now. In particular because the rumours were there last year too. Jon Ralph stated a number of times that Henry was interested in leaving last October. Cal Twomey raised his name on trade radio with Young too.
Up until a month ago the guy was just about a bust. Then he has 3 or 4 decent games in a row, cashing in on the 35 odd games of development we have put into him when he should have been nowhere near the team in all honesty.
It’s a poor look from Liam if true. Would we be willing to match the bulldogs wages? I mean, they have a lot more elite highly paid talent than we have so it’s doesn’t make sense they would be paying him more?
In 2020 our original draft pick was 6 and after dogs and Sydney's bid pick 8 which essendon used. We would have had Nic Cox, Perkins, Tanner Brun, Luke Pedler before Chapman to choose. Do you guys think we would have been significantly better with one of these players compared to Chapman. If answer is yes we are affected by Henry's exit. If it is other way we are some what ok...but that 4 year development still loss. I am still not sure answer is yes or no as Chapman still developing... and also not sure whether Perkins would have stayed.Any one have opinion on this?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't leave for the same or less money, unless you're unhappy, do you?
There's always a higher cost to the purchasing club...

We didn't want to pay Logue 700k, but that's what it took to prise him away

I can’t give specific examples but probably scrolling back through this thread there would be some comments on this .
I coach football and have been around it all my life , slightly built kids can most certainly contest stronger than he has most years to date .

With regard to his potential departure, it’s more the Freo revolving door issue thats irking me
I and most here genuinely know nothing about him or what’s going on behind closed doors , for all we know he could be being pushed out .
Maybe Longmuir is a really bad coach and the players are starting to jump ship ( not my opinion but a hypothetical)

But as mushrooms we can only feed on the manure we are fed and that is that Henry was drafted , was given every opportunity, was nurtured and supported by the club and is now ( potentially) prepared to throw it all back in their face .

It just stinks of entitlement and the boomer in me is being triggered.

Picking his falabiliities is just a coping mechanism I guess
FWIW I've observed Liam attempting tackles from the outset and now succeeding more than other Freo boys. Re his footy ability I've less ability to judge - just seen a player who seemed to offer more than he delivered but but is now starting to come good, as has his confidence (and vice versa).

The 'too bad how sad' up-yours aspect is what cuts me most. Echoes of Cerra, even though his go-home lights were flashing from the start. Like Madas says I so resented his impending loss I called him out (very loudly) for any on-field slip till it got tedious for everyone around so I shut up. Now I watch him through gritted teeth....

And Henry can hit a target.
This is an interesting comparison. I don't really rate Acres disposal and I think that Liam can execute more pinpoint passes, but what he was able to do was kick to the advantage of his target. His target had to work to get to the ball, but it was in front of the target and in space. A good example was against the dogs last year when Lobb kicked 4.

Both had been underwhelming for most of their contract until renewal time. Acres credited JL for simplyfing and communicating his role clearly as the reason for his upturn in form. It would be interesting to Hear Liam's opinion behind his break out streak. That's what I like about old bull young buck podcast, hearing players talk about what they felt they were doing wrong and the things they needed to change in their game.

I know a lot of people are still bagging Liam out about his lack of accountability but it is clearly his role in the team. JL has never been shy to drop Liam, so if it wasn't his role he would be playing for Peel still

I like Henry. I like how he’s progressing and where he’ll get to as a player. I am not too fussed about if he stays or goes though, and if he does go, I hope we’ll get some reasonable compensation.
I think Stanley is a much better fit for our team purely based on his size.
This is nothing against Henry, but having a midfield with JOM, AB, Serong Aish and Henry is just too small, especially when we run Switta through there at times as well.
Having NOD and Stanley on the wings instantly addresses this issue along with additional appearances from MJ, Erasmus and Brodie next year, plus hopefully the occasional cameo by Fyfe will do wonders for our performance against the bigger bodied midfield units.

Compare the pair. Same age, same development category, same experience. 🤔

Compare the pair. Same age, same development category, same experience. 🤔

They are remarkably similar!

Player Statistics Comparison​
Name​
Team​
Midfield, Forward​
Position​
Midfield​
38​
Career Games​
Claremont​
Origin​
West Perth​
August 28, 2001​
Date of Birth​
October 7, 1995​
21yr 10mth​
Age​
Turned 22 in 2017​
180cm​
Height​
189cm
75kg​
Weight​
92kg
Last Drafted In​
Round 1, Pick #9​
Last Draft Position​
Round 1, Pick #19​
Last Drafted By​
2023​
Stats for Season​
2017​
11​
Games​
Kicks​
9.9​
8.6​
Handballs​
20.1​
Disposals​
4.5​
Marks​
4.5​
0.1​
Goals​
Behinds​
0.2​
2.6​
Tackles​
0​
Hitouts​
2.3​
Inside 50s​
Goal Assists​
0.3​
0.4​
Frees For​
Frees Against​
0.7​
5.1​
Contested Possessions​
Uncontested Possessions​
14.8​
14.4​
Effective Disposals​
71.6%​
Disposal Efficiency %​
75.4%
Clangers​
2.3​
0.1​
Contested Marks​
0.6​
Marks Inside 50​
1.0​
Clearances​
1.0​
Rebound 50s​
0.6​
One Percenters​
0.2​
Bounces​
Time On Ground %​
78.1​
Centre Clearances​
0.2​
0.6​
Stoppage Clearances​
3.4​
Score Involvements​
293.3​
Metres Gained​
Turnovers​
3.4​
2.4​
Intercepts​
0.3​
Tackles Inside 50​
0.3​
74.1​
AFL Fantasy Score​
70.1​
Supercoach Score​

This is an interesting comparison. I don't really rate Acres disposal and I think that Liam can execute more pinpoint passes, but what he was able to do was kick to the advantage of his target. His target had to work to get to the ball, but it was in front of the target and in space. A good example was against the dogs last year when Lobb kicked 4.

Both had been underwhelming for most of their contract until renewal time. Acres credited JL for simplyfing and communicating his role clearly as the reason for his upturn in form. It would be interesting to Hear Liam's opinion behind his break out streak. That's what I like about old bull young buck podcast, hearing players talk about what they felt they were doing wrong and the things they needed to change in their game.

I know a lot of people are still bagging Liam out about his lack of accountability but it is clearly his role in the team. JL has never been shy to drop Liam, so if it wasn't his role he would be playing for Peel still
He bombed it as far and high as he could and it landed where it landed and if Lobb was good enough and was in the vicinity, he used to out mark his opponent . I rated Acres and I thought it was the wrong call by the club, but Acres kicking was and still is very erratic unless suprisingly he is having a ping at goal. Like everyone, he makes the odd good kick. That's as far as I could take it

He bombed it as far and high as he could and it landed where it landed and if Lobb was good enough and was in the vicinity, he used to out mark his opponent . I rated Acres and I thought it was the wrong call by the club, but Acres kicking was and still is very erratic unless suprisingly he is having a ping at goal. Like everyone, he makes the odd good kick. That's as far as I could take it
I recall it was mentioned in one of the podcast with Mundy and Logue he took pride in kicking it high as possible. But yeh really he needed to be told off to stop doing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back